Singapore Expats

Indonesia against Singapore NS

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Indonesia against Singapore NS

Post by Jeppo » Tue, 18 Mar 2008 2:52 pm

With so many threads about NS I thought people might be interested in Indonesia's opinion

http://www.kbrisingapura.com/news_2202_ ... p?lang=eng

I was interested in the quote from an Indonesian law professor, Suhaidi, "Military draft programs are only for the citizens of the country concerned. If foreigners are forced to take part, that is clearly a violation of international law."

I wonder if anyone will ever try to fight it in an international court of law?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Mar 2008 9:29 pm

That article was in the local rag about a month ago. I couldn't reprint it because of legal problems. Tried my best to find in in the Jakarta papers but couldn't find it (at least in English).

It would be interesting as you say. It's never been taken up in an international court of law. However, I don't see how that would make any difference.

If a person willingly accepts the codicils of accepting PR when the local law clearly spells out the required duties if accepting it before hand. Therefore, the onus is still on the individual to do their due diligence before accepting same. Nobody is forcing them to do NS. If they want the PR it's part of the package. Nobody is forcing them to take up PR. So the argument is moot as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the child goes, the child cannot blame the Singapore Government as the laws governing male children is also published as well. The onus is again on the Parent to ensure that the child does not run afoul of the laws. The laws, in this case, in Indonesia have been in place longer that the laws of Singapore so there is no excuse on the part of the parents for not doing their due diligence.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 6:20 pm

You can always leave the little red dot and don't come back. Singapore can't enforce her laws outside the little red dot.