Singapore Expats

Silkair

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter

Post by queenie-me » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 1:20 am

catherine89 wrote:usually there's how many intake for silkair per year? any idea when's the next intake? thzzzzzzz
ermm.. right now. with the big and huge turn-over rate. I would say... ALOT!

Mushroom
Regular
Regular

Post by Mushroom » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 3:15 pm

But what's happening? Why airlines like Silkair and SIA are having such high turn over suddenly? Anything bad? Becos i jus saw a big bus ads on career recruitment for SIA, the first time i saw them advertising to recruit cabin crew.

Anyway thanks for all your encouragement..
Live believing - dreams are for living,
Wonders are waiting to start.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 7:32 pm

Mushroom wrote:But what's happening? Why airlines like Silkair and SIA are having such high turn over suddenly? Anything bad? Becos i jus saw a big bus ads on career recruitment for SIA, the first time i saw them advertising to recruit cabin crew.

Anyway thanks for all your encouragement..
For the following reasons:

1) Misunderstanding. People think this job is oh so glamorous and got all excited to join the airline industry. When they found out the real jobscobe, they began to lose interest and in time, they resign. That's why I've been telling everyone to do their research well before embarking on a job like this. NO JOB IS FOR EVERYONE!

2) Politics. It's everywhere. As glamorous as it may seem, it's not so fun up there. You'll find it easier to deal with passengers than with fellow colleagues. Bitching and gossiping everywhere. You might just get adapted and addicted and it may cause you some trouble.

3) Time. There is no such thing as public holidays in this industry. You may find it hard to meet your friends coz on a Sunday when all your friends are out together, you might be halfway around the world and missing all the fun. It's worse if your loved ones are celebrating some festivities and you're outstation. Christmas in Paris! Sounds exciting but lame if you're all alone.

4) Feeling lonely. In addition to the above point, crew can sometimes get the same destinations very often. They get bored and end up staying in the hotel room on layovers. If they get zapped, they get miserable with no shoulders to cry on all alone in the hotel room. Some crew can't stand being lonely so they resign.

5) Money. Some crew feel the urge to shop all their allowance money on shopping during layovers. In the end, they are only left with basic salary and hourly pay and think it's not worth it. So they left in search of a better deal. Take note, there is not such thing as OT. You are paid hourly from when the plane pushes back from the gate before take off, until the plane comes to a stop at the next gate after landing. If your aircraft is delayed for 5 hours on ground, too bad, no pay!

I hope I've brought forward some important points to hopefuls here. Any crew who would like to add on to or amend the list?
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

smileygal

Not exactly true...

Post by smileygal » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 9:21 pm

Yes, it's true that those are the negative parts of being a cabin crew, but that makes it not the reasons to why the turn-over rate is so high NOW, cos all the reasons that u mentioned have been around since the day cabin crew job existed.....

Nowadays, layovers in SQ has become shorter, in another word, crew get paid lesser with longer working hours... Thus more and more seniors are resigning....

And regarding the delay on ground, only poor silkair crew will not be paid any allowances, cos SQ's crew will still get paid....

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Not exactly true...

Post by Plavt » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 9:37 pm

smileygal wrote:but that makes it not the reasons to why the turn-over rate is so high NOW, cos all the reasons that u mentioned have been around since the day cabin crew job existed.....
That's exactly the reason the cabin crew has had turn over since the job existed. So many people will not listen to what singaoregrrl, Queen-me, myself and others tell them. Although I have not worked in the airline industry I have seen similar elsewhere people always think 'I'll be alright' and ignore or dismiss reality. :(

Perhaps one reason it is higher now is the airline industry is much bigger than twenty or thirty years ago. I still remember the days when only the wealthy flew. Only since the '70's did passenger traffic increase dramatically with the introduction of the jumbo jet. Since then as you know, charter and budget carriers have appeared along with increased international trade.

Mushroom
Regular
Regular

Post by Mushroom » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:15 pm

Hi singaporegrrl, smileygal & Plavt, thanks for your sharing. It sound really tough and really required a lot of committment to become a cabin crew. But aren't there some good things about being a cabin crew? I'm sure not all crew are so bitchy right? Actually i just wanna find out more about silkair environment, anybody can share?
Live believing - dreams are for living,
Wonders are waiting to start.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 1:07 am

Mushroom wrote:Hi singaporegrrl, smileygal & Plavt, thanks for your sharing. It sound really tough and really required a lot of committment to become a cabin crew. But aren't there some good things about being a cabin crew? I'm sure not all crew are so bitchy right? Actually i just wanna find out more about silkair environment, anybody can share?
It's all the same, just minus the layovers. I still remember when I was always feeling intimidated to walk into that briefing room coz all eyes are on you. People can find fault off you like ANYTIME. I also remember when my 4 Sundays in a row was filled with 'exciting' 4-sectors flights. I still remember some juniors who couldn't take it working in a zappy environment and quit. They make false accusations and make the seniors look bad. Who gets into trouble? The innocent seniors. No matter what, I looked on the bright side coz I enjoyed flying and seeing different kinds of passengers everyday that sometimes you can expect what kind of behavior a certain profile of passengers would potrait. Money isn't that good coz you work too much. Although you get to go home everyday and work a maximum of 3 days in a row, doing only turnarounds is freaking tiring. I still hate doing turnarounds.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

catherine89

Post by catherine89 » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 1:16 am

huh what u mean by silkair no allowance? How's the pay system like?

mikoliicia
Regular
Regular

Post by mikoliicia » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:04 pm

catherine89 wrote:huh what u mean by silkair no allowance? How's the pay system like?

silkair has allowance =)
❤ :: misses ::

valeberry
Regular
Regular

Post by valeberry » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:00 am

I realised this year SilkAir has alot of recruitment. =D

eunicel

hello

Post by eunicel » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 9:04 am

hi gals anyone wants to go together on 28th? :) can add me in msn at: [email protected] :)

mehmeh
Regular
Regular

Post by mehmeh » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:36 am

valeberry wrote:I realised this year SilkAir has alot of recruitment. =D
Ya.. It's on a monthly basis.. Perhaps like what queenie said, turn-over rate is high.. Therefore lack of crews.. :lol:

Yan86

Post by Yan86 » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:50 pm

I guess it's really up to individuals to realise what they want more. Money or an experience. I'm looking for a chance to fly ard to see new places, even so, i hope i meet nice colleagues despite the scary stories.

mehmeh
Regular
Regular

Post by mehmeh » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 4:38 pm

Yan86 wrote:I guess it's really up to individuals to realise what they want more. Money or an experience. I'm looking for a chance to fly ard to see new places, even so, i hope i meet nice colleagues despite the scary stories.
hmm, in silkair, you won't get to see the place.. at most, you will only get to see the airport.. cos the transit is usually half an hour or 45 minutes.. :)

mikoliicia
Regular
Regular

Post by mikoliicia » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:03 am

mehmeh wrote:
Yan86 wrote:I guess it's really up to individuals to realise what they want more. Money or an experience. I'm looking for a chance to fly ard to see new places, even so, i hope i meet nice colleagues despite the scary stories.
hmm, in silkair, you won't get to see the place.. at most, you will only get to see the airport.. cos the transit is usually half an hour or 45 minutes.. :)

ANY BATCH 73 GIRLS HERE!! :D ??
❤ :: misses ::

Return to “Airline Careers”