Singapore Expats

good hospital for delivery

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
ryka

good hospital for delivery

Post by ryka » Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:59 am

hi , i am my hubby moving to singapore in about 2 month, at that time i will b 4 months pregnant. could u pls suggest a good hospital for delivery and its cost. this is my 1st baby..quite nervous and excited.

myjoymybaby

Post by myjoymybaby » Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:00 pm

lsac0902
Regular
Regular

Post by lsac0902 » Thu, 12 Jun 2008 3:59 pm

hi there,

I was pregnant as well when I moved to Singapore. I delivered at Thomson Medical Center last August. My first baby as well. So I understand how excited and stressed you must feel!

Many expatriates go to Mount Elizabeth as well.

What you can do when you arrive, is to visit the maternities before you decide. The prices are listed on their web-site and the difference is not so big. I don't know how it works in your home country. But here, your gynae will deliver the baby in the maternity where (s)he works. (S)he's going to register you at the maternity.

good luck

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 8:11 pm

mt alvernia has a few lovely catholic sisters who are also ward sisters.

so they can frighten and console at the same time!

but they're really soothing and good to have around.

one up for mt alvernia.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:37 pm

Yah you got to deliver where your gynae (OBGYN in American-speak) delivers. I hear some gynaes may deliver at different hospitals though.

More important for you to find a good gynae when you arrive.

If you suspect any problem with the baby, then definitely go KKH. They have the best neo-natal ICU.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 7:21 am

You do not HAVE to deliver where the doctor has his/her practice. The doctor who delivered my baby has her practice at Gleneagles but can also deliver at Mount Alvernia, Mount Elizabeth & Thompson. Same is true for the doctor I visited at a Thompson Medical practice - He would also deliver at Mt. Alvernia. You just need to check which hospitals they can practice.
That being said, I think it is more convenient to see the doctor who practices at the hospital where you will be delivering.
What is very important is to have a good relationship with your OBGYN - and feel very comfortable and in capable hands. What appeals to one person may not appeal to you - so best to get recommendations and see who you feel best with.
(*edited to include: sorry bruinbear - i think i basically just seconded everything you wrote :) )

aussiemeg
Regular
Regular

Post by aussiemeg » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 6:52 pm

Don't forget to look at National University Hospital and KKK. NUH is probably nicer in terms of the suites but many expats overlook these two amazing hospitals as they are also for the locals but have private wings, the advantage of having NICUs in the same hospital and of course huge paediatric wings, services and aftercare should you need it. http://www.nuh.com.sg/_og/ourServices_o ... cology.htm

for 7 days in the 2 room deluxe suite with someone staying everynight, some jaundice treatment, nursery and paed treatment for twins and delivery by caesarian cost us S$13000 as compared to my friend at Mt E that cost S$21,000 for similar treatment. Here is a cost comparison
http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/billsizeD ... aspx?cId=9
http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/billsize.aspx

Congrats and good luck
Megan

mrsli

Post by mrsli » Thu, 19 Jun 2008 2:42 am

My husband and I are also moving to Singapore (next Tuesday actually) and I will be 23 weeks along when we get there. We are coming from the US. I have made a list of hospitals that I want to tour and will be choosing a doctor based on the hospital I look at. I wanted to have a natural birth and Thomson Medical Center looks to be the best for that kind of care -- but I also asked a question similar to yours here a while back and many people recommended Mt. Elizabeth. I will likely tour those two as well as Mr. Alvernia. All the hospitals have their prices listed on their websites, which you can find by googleing the hospital name and "Singapore."