Singapore Expats

Adopting a child in Singapore

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
winni

Adopting a child in Singapore

Post by winni » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 5:41 pm

Has anyone who's an expat on a regular EP/DP adopted a child in Singapore? My husband and I have been researching the process as far as we can online but it's hard to know where to start, who are the reputable adoption agencies, who we can trust etc.

Any advice, please?

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by skye » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 5:54 pm

It is doable but depends on your nationality as I believe the Sing govt requires your home country to guarantee citizenship before you can bring in a baby from overseas. Alternative is to adopt a Singaporean baby which is also possible. You could try contacting adoption support groups for info about the process. I think there's one through SACAC at the american club and possily at the baby place in Tanglin Mall or Shopping Centre - sorry I forget which.

winni

Post by winni » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks, I'll try them.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 8:43 pm

Always have a smile on that face!

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 8:25 am

I just returned from visiting my friends who recently adopted a beautiful Chinese Singaporean baby boy. His parents are both from NZ on EP. I only know they went through a lawyer. I'm not sure how long they waited, but they were given this baby at age 2 weeks, the agency wanted to give him to them earlier, but they had nothing ready as they weren't expecting to get a baby so soon. Good luck!

winni

Post by winni » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 4:54 pm

That is such good news! Would there be any chance you could ask them who their lawyer was and let me know?

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 6:43 pm

Sure, all I can do is ask. Be patient as I'm sure they're not answering emails as quickly as they use to. I'll PM you when I find out.

winni

Post by winni » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 8:35 am

much appreciated :)

Sunnily

same thing...

Post by Sunnily » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:52 am

Hi Winnie,

my hubby and me (EP/DP) are also looking for information about adopting a child and I haven't found much information. If you have found any so far or u are interested in exchanging thoughts, please drop me an email, ok? I would be very happy to receive any information you have already gathered.

If there is anyone out there who has already experience in adopting a child (from any Asian country) and would like to share their experience -that would be very great!

Cheers!

Please drop me an email at: [email protected]

aussiemeg
Regular
Regular

Post by aussiemeg » Wed, 11 Jun 2008 9:16 am

Hi there

A few of my friends have adopted children here whilst on EP. They require a letter from the embassy saying they recognise Sing adoption laws as singapore is not a party to the hague convention. My friends were australian and the australian embassy is pretty ofay with all of this stuff so guess most others are too.

You need to get a home study done and to do this you should contact Touch adoption (a voluntary organisation) as sometimes the payment of money to agencies can be a problem depending upon your nationality.

http://www.tcs.com.sg/service/st_family/01.php?item=3