Singapore Expats

JAL - JAPAN Airlines

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
adluvalex
Regular
Regular

Post by adluvalex » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:04 pm

gosh.. that low?? haha.. seems like everyone are saying the different thing.. shall wait till i go pre employment briefing and i'll noe more..

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular

Post by akiheartfelt » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:06 am

wow 1.6k... i didn't know it was that bad... i guess they still have to recruit to replace people who leave... but i guess it's still a good opportunity if you love japan :) Either that or you can do some side jobs like teaching tuition or something lol...

stripes

Post by stripes » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:34 am

Well situation is getting from bad to worse. Crews are staying in SIN about 2wks every month. Unless you love Japan & don't really need this earning to survive else you'll have hard time even to save.
So do consider carefully. :)

mikoliicia
Regular
Regular

Post by mikoliicia » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 2:11 pm

adluvalex wrote:gosh.. that low?? haha.. seems like everyone are saying the different thing.. shall wait till i go pre employment briefing and i'll noe more..

you sure you wanna sign , after so many bad comments ?
❤ :: misses ::

mirachel

Post by mirachel » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 2:16 pm

I think there's no harm trying.
As long as you haven't gone for the Tokyo training, they won't make you pay the big amount. :)

adluvalex
Regular
Regular

Post by adluvalex » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 2:23 pm

shall wait till i go pre employment briefing.. :???:

snowss
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowss » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 2:43 pm

adluvalex wrote:shall wait till i go pre employment briefing.. :???:
yap, wait till the pre employment briefing then we'll know the truth :)
(=^_^=)

missygee

Post by missygee » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 5:13 pm

Hi!

U guys keep mentioning about the pre-employment briefing. Did JAL inform you about the details of the briefing? Coz it sounds as if they did heh.

I got thru too but didnt receive further notifications from JAL after the medical checkup liao. :)

snowss
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowss » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 6:50 pm

missygee wrote:Hi!

U guys keep mentioning about the pre-employment briefing. Did JAL inform you about the details of the briefing? Coz it sounds as if they did heh.

I got thru too but didnt receive further notifications from JAL after the medical checkup liao. :)
wah, another batchmate-to-be :) HELLO :wave:

Nope, they didnt tell us abt the pre-employment briefing...i guess they will only let us know more when we have passed the medical test bah
(=^_^=)

adluvalex
Regular
Regular

Post by adluvalex » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:04 pm

missygee wrote:Hi!

Hello batchmate.. hahah.. the briefing will be on 12july.. and think the medical results will only noe by this week.. i still need to go back the clinic for urine test.. lets xchange msn.. [email protected].. :???:

chacha_pig

Post by chacha_pig » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 8:48 pm

Ya think twice. my friend keep telling me to think twice if i want to join cause once join it will be two years bond. many people quit and pay $10 k tho coz I think too low pay. Sad. but I will still continue to try to get in cause I really love Japan. Hope I can get in next interview.

rreygianan

JAL Information

Post by rreygianan » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 10:37 am

Hello to everyone.

I'm new here. I heard from my class girls of such forum. I didn want to get involved but there are questions that all you girls posted, there are answers to those and since I have some time off my busy schedule, I really want to share them with you.

I'm currently under OJT. I'm not sure now if whatever i've gone through will be the same as the next batch so.. i'll be telling you what i've gone through.

After 1mth half trg in Singapore, you'll go to Japan trg for another 1mth half. the trg centre is in Haneda. you maybe staying in either the dorm(Narita), hotel(Narita), or hotel(Haneda). If you staying in Narita, the distance to the trg centre is 1hr+, if you stay in Haneda, the distance is 10-15mins. All by bus.

Trg in Japan will be fun because over weekends you can go shopping at harajuku, shibuya, shinjuku, etc., Disneyland and stuff. But do try to moderate urself because lessons in Japan ain't easy, there is a need for constant revisions. (If you're a shopaholic, please pack less in ur luggage to Japan, because my class girls and I had really a hard time packing our stuff back) If you think u wanna send parcel back, it cost about S$120+ by air(takes bout 1week) for i think 20kg; S$60+ by sea(takes bout i think 1mth) for 20kg as well.

After Japan trg, you'll start ur OJT(on the job trg) for a month (about 3 flight patterns; 2 US routes and 1 KIX route (osaka)). This is the time where it starts getting tough because what we've learnt in trg centre is pretty much different. Plus some seniors may be mean not because they dun like you, but they're just there to trg you so your attitude MUST be positive. Some japanese crew ain't nice too. Just keep smiling. Serious, it works. haha.

In japan, you stay in Marroad International Hotel, which is very far away from town area. Train fare (oneway) is about YEN1500 (S$17~18) and takes about 1hr+. But there is bus shuttle from the hotel to a nearby shopping mall (sth like causeway point) called AEON JUSCO. Also shuttle to Narita Station (aka SIN mrt).

In New York, you stay in Long Island Marriott, which is about 40mins~1hr away from Manhattan by train. Price wise i'm not sure because i didn't make it to Manhattan when i was there. There is also bus shuttle to Westbury station (MRT), Source Mall (shopping), Wall Mart (supermarket), Roosevelt Mall (MORE shopping), and Waldbaum Supermarket.

In LA, you stay in Holiday Inn Torrance. This is complicated. There is a bus stop outside the hotel, if you intend to go somewhere, you can ask the front desk what buses to take and where to transfer and etc, they'll help you. There is also day tours provided by the hotel (co organised with a travel agency) but i dun encourage because there are just issues with that agency and timing is NEVER to your liking. So just go F&E, you can speak english, dun worry.
I went Hollywood and places, it took me bout 40mins by bus, tell the bus driver where you're going, den when the stop comes, he/she will inform you. Its better for you to buy the Metro Day Pass, costs USD5 for the whole day, both buses and trains. SO WORTH IT! Bus shuttles from the hotel goes to Del Amo (shopping) and Galleria (shopping).

*Please be advised to buy bottles of drinking mineral water in Japan before going to US (water in US not really drinkable).
*Remember to keep small change for Tips.

In SanFrancisco, you stay in Hotel Inn San Francisco. I dun have details because haven go. LOL

In Osaka(KIX), you stay in Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport. I dun have details also. Will come back and maybe post you details.

Singapore-based JAL goes to NewYork, LA, SanFrancisco, Osaka, Amsterdam (starting July), Guangzhou (heard it'll no longer be a stay-over flight but a turn around trip, yet to be confirmed). Also, starting August(or somewhere end of the yr), flight rest days will be cut. Meaning, for example if you touch down LA on mon, tues you'll have to fly back. Presently, the next day is an off day, flying back will the day after
touch down day (in this eg. its wed). Maybe this will only be for the US routes but i cannot confirm also. Final info is yet to posted.

Actually, in my opinion, JAL is not bad. You get to learn another language and many say that flights now are so little, you're earning only 1600K/mth. But seriously lah, flying with tight schedule is really tiring and you'll be in SIN for less than 10days/mth. i mean there are pros and cons joining this company, there are more rest days now and you have about 2 patterns in a mth but the company is trying to get more routes so in order to do so, they need to present sufficient man-power before clinching routes. Just tahen awhile more lors. anyways as yrs goes by, basic salary will increase, so not that bad.
Besides, Zappers are so much better than those in SIA.

Starting out is definitely tough but many seniors say after awhile, you get used to it, you'll enjoy it!

Dun keep comparing SIA and JAL, both have their good sides. When you're accepted into JAL, commit to the company. They offer you certain things SIA cannot offer. Join and find out for urself.

Hmm. Ok. i think i'm done for now. I hope i gave you girls informations you need/want. All the best and congrats to the next batch of girls. For those who didn't get in, try again, no worries! have confidence and you'll be through! *winks

Love Rreygianan :D

patterious

Post by patterious » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 1:39 pm

Maybe i can contribute alittle to the hotel information in SFO and Osaka.

In SFO, the hotel that crews staying is near fisherman's wharf where is one of the tourist attraction. You can take the boat to Alcatraz Island and Golden gate bridge. Just outside the hotel there is a bus stop where u can take the bus to the town area. Is ard 25 mins and cost ard USD1.50. The bus will take you to the chinatown too. Nearby the hotel there is fast food call "in-n-out burger" which is the first drive thru fast food in USA. MUST TRY!

In Osaka, the crews is staying in a hotel called nikko. It is walking distance to the airport itself. You can take a bus or train to the Rinku Town where is a factory outlets or you can take a bus to the Aeon Jusco which is a shopping mall. Both cost ard 200 yen ($3). There is nothing much you can do in Osaka as the stay is pretty short.

That's all! Enjoy!
-_-

jalcctb

Post by jalcctb » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 2:04 pm

Do you go out with your team mates or you go to places alone?
Cos the team members might be all different people for every flight.

Ferrin

Post by Ferrin » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 3:01 pm

Hi rreygianan,

So its serious that JAL crew are getting 1.6k/month???
:o