Singapore Expats Forum

Need advice on employment pass matters

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

shehmay

Need advice on employment pass matters

Postby shehmay » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:08 am

Hi,

Has anyone heard of a pregnant woman (6 months and above) holding an employment pass being denied re-entry into singapore at the immigration check point. I've heard rumours.. but the "source(s)" NEVER gives an explanation why. So here I am posing this question to whoever has come across this situation before.

Reason being, I just want to go back to visit my parents and come back to Singapore, but being discouraged by these rumours

I'm a Malaysian btw.

zuluchief

Postby zuluchief » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:35 pm

Think you should be OK if you have an employment pass and you are working. If you do not have any such pass you need to get permission from the ICA to have the baby in Singapore. No permission. No entry.

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Postby Nailah » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:52 pm

Huh?! Who told you that? Never heard of such things... If you have a valid employment pass and you're working in Singapore. What's wrong with being preggers?

If you're still worried, perhaps you'd like to call ICA?

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Need advice on employment pass matters

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 3:55 pm

shehmay wrote:Hi,

Has anyone heard of a pregnant woman (6 months and above) holding an employment pass being denied re-entry into singapore at the immigration check point. I've heard rumours.. but the "source(s)" NEVER gives an explanation why. So here I am posing this question to whoever has come across this situation before.

Reason being, I just want to go back to visit my parents and come back to Singapore, but being discouraged by these rumours

I'm a Malaysian btw.

Sounds like Troll-Alert!

Why would you be holding an employment pass if you are not in Singapore, sounds odd,

Also, why be worried by a 'source' that "NEVER" gives you an satisfactory answer.
- Thank God for Darwin -

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 4:01 pm

cutiebutie wrote:
shehmay wrote:Reason being, I just want to go back to visit my parents and come back to Singapore, but being discouraged by these rumours

I'm a Malaysian btw.

Why would you be holding an employment pass if you are not in Singapore, sounds odd,

Did you actually read what she said? She said she's Malaysian and wants to go BACK (ie. from Singapore TO Malaysia) to visit her parents and then COME BACK again to Singapore.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 4:52 pm

Jeppo wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:
shehmay wrote:Reason being, I just want to go back to visit my parents and come back to Singapore, but being discouraged by these rumours

I'm a Malaysian btw.

Did you actually read what she said? She said she's Malaysian and wants to go BACK (ie. from Singapore TO Malaysia) to visit her parents and then COME BACK again to Singapore.

I see, I should have read the op, thank you, Jeppo. I misinterpreted the post. My bad, you legend. :roll:

Oh, hang on, perhaps you should re-read the original post as well as she says she is Malaysian, she doesn't state that the travel will be between Malaysia and Singapore.

Oh dear, glass houses, Jeppo dear. :roll:
- Thank God for Darwin -

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 5:09 pm

cutiebutie wrote:
Jeppo wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:

I'm a Malaysian btw.

I see, I should have read the op, thank you, Jeppo. I misinterpreted the post. My bad, you legend. :roll:

Oh, hang on, perhaps you should re-read the original post as well as she says she is Malaysian, she doesn't state that the travel will be between Malaysia and Singapore.

The exact phrase she wrote is "I just want to go back to visit my parents and come back to Singapore", how can she come back to Singapore after going back home if she isn't in Singapore now?Do you really think it's possible to go from Hong Kong (or any other random place other than Singapore) and then "come back to Singapore"? If she was in Hong Kong, she would "come back to Hong Kong". It's only logic, but then again most locals here don't have that, do they?

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 5:53 pm

Jeppo wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:
Jeppo wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:

I'm a Malaysian btw.

The exact phrase she wrote is "I just want to go back to visit my parents and come back to Singapore", how can she come back to Singapore after going back home if she isn't in Singapore now?Do you really think it's possible to go from Hong Kong (or any other random place other than Singapore) and then "come back to Singapore"? If she was in Hong Kong, she would "come back to Hong Kong". It's only logic, but then again most locals here don't have that, do they?

Oh dear, Jeppo. Of course it is possible to be domiciled in more than one location or a country that is not your birthplace/country of citizenship etc..., but please feel free to make a fool of yourself to an even greater extent.
Perhaps her parents live in Hong Kong/Tokyo/wherever. Your opinion is based purely on conjecture that her parents live in Malaysia.

I acknowledged my error but you seem incapable of doing so, going to great lengths to dig a deeper hole.

Be a good boy and say "Oh, I might ave erred a bit" and get on with your life. Kisses to you :P
- Thank God for Darwin -

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:03 pm

Jeppo wrote:It's only logic, but then again most locals here don't have that, do they?

And this barb, I suppose, is logically necessary to clarify the OP's situation?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:22 pm

I think the whole exchange is silly. CB made and error by not reading the OP original post. Instead of graciously just admitting her error, she had to flail back with a comment that I personally found childish. The obvious intent of the original poster was clear and she just tried to muddle it to strike back at Jeppo. :roll:

NOW SHE WILL PROBABLY STRIKE BACK AT ME AS WELL.

Of course it's Friday night and we are all on the PC instead of out partying so that might have something to do with it. Course my son doesn't go out until midnight so who knows? I ain't goin' nowhere though.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:45 pm

Even if CB strikes back at you, she'll probably miss as there's so little of you left. :wink:

I can't say who's right since I'm local and therefore have no logic and so can't figure out what's going on. :-({|=

(though by Jeppo's superior expat logic, CB can't strike BACK at you, since that would mean she would have to start FROM you to get BACK at you... oh, poor local me is so confused....)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:08 pm

Ok, I can't help it, bored on a Friday night. If:

A. Jeppo is an expat;

and

B. Expats are generally well-mannered;

and

C. Well-mannered people apologise for uncalled-for slurs;

then

A + B + C = Jeppo will apologise.