Singapore Expats

Bottled Gas in the kitchen - how much for a refill?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Levikane
Regular
Regular

Bottled Gas in the kitchen - how much for a refill?

Post by Levikane » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 3:17 pm

We have bottled gas in our place (urgh). We cook at home most nights and surprisingly it has lasted 3 months so far!

Have had a look throughout the forums but cant find any mention of this.. So:
- What price range should we expect for replacement?
- Any particular companies you would recommend?
- How do these guys expect payment. Do you have to have cash ready or will they accept a cheque/credit card?

Cheers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Bottled Gas in the kitchen - how much for a refill?

Post by ksl » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 3:50 pm

Levikane wrote:We have bottled gas in our place (urgh). We cook at home most nights and surprisingly it has lasted 3 months so far!

Have had a look throughout the forums but cant find any mention of this.. So:
- What price range should we expect for replacement?
- Any particular companies you would recommend?
- How do these guys expect payment. Do you have to have cash ready or will they accept a cheque/credit card?

Cheers
30$ should cover 1 bottle, it was 25$ last year, and the wife cannot remember! also it may depend were you live.

rhino
Regular
Regular

Post by rhino » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 5:05 pm

Is about $30, although that also may depend on the size of the bottle in your kitchen. They only accept cash as I remember it. Its almost a painless process... When I rang the number to get a new bottle, it took a while to ascertain that I had actually rung the gas bottle company - always confusing when someone at a business just answers a phone with "Yes?" and nothing else!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 5:45 pm

If it's your first refill, it may cost you up to $36 for a bottle. After that, if you use the same supplier they will normally give you a $5 discount. Coming up to $31/bottle (that's the last bottle I bought about 2 weeks ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chitlins

Post by chitlins » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If it's your first refill, it may cost you up to $36 for a bottle. After that, if you use the same supplier they will normally give you a $5 discount. Coming up to $31/bottle (that's the last bottle I bought about 2 weeks ago.
Don't you get them 2 or 3 at a time? It is a real bummer when you have friends over for a cookout, and the gas suddenly runs out. My old apartment had piped gas, but the new one uses bottled. I plan on getting 'em 3 at a time. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:08 am

I don't find it's ever been that necessary. My supplier will deliver any time during the day up till late evening if necessary. He usually gets here within 30minutes. Additionally, I have an electric oven and an electric central burner surrounded by 4 gas burners on my stove. That coupled with the Microwave, Deepfryer, Toasteroven and rice cooker, I'm pretty well set. Additionally, finding storage for one or two extra bottles of gas in my HDB would be a bit tight. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 2:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Additionally, finding storage for one or two extra bottles of gas in my HDB would be a bit tight. :wink:
You could put it under your mother-in-laws bed :P :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 3:23 pm

I think the ghost of my FiL lives under there along with the dust bunnies. :o :P