Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
XiaoBao3

Post by XiaoBao3 » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:12 pm

actually i dont know if i'm right to say..
but sometimes i might feel that it's on luck basis..
we do see some bigger sized stewards/stewardess at the airport but when it comes to interview, they didnt stated in the requirement to be within BMI normal range..
actually i'm rather confused on how they actually select the applicants.. :???:
(correct me if i'm wrong :) )
and the kebaya/outfit fittings, they have the size but they are left by the ex stewards/stewardess and some are tailor-made so it doesnt really fit..

but of cos.. we wont want to see a plump lady serving a passenger cos it might ruin the company's reputation.. but somehow i'm just raising my thoughts.. no offend to anyone.. :wink:

mastera7x
Regular
Regular

Post by mastera7x » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:21 pm

hahaa.. yearh.. quite true also...

but i heard.. Emirates interview.. is also done by SIA interviewer???

how true is this??

and another thing is that.. one of my mother's friend's daughter...

who also work for emirates as ground staff.. said that .. going for interview in Singapore would likely have less chance than going to Dubai itself ...

Is it true ?

hmmm

Angiezz

Post by Angiezz » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:25 pm

Whitepetals, I think those scars would have lightened greatly by the next interview. Since they're not permanent and can be concealed, I doubt they'll pose too much a prob. Do try to conceal it well and if asked by the interviewer why you didn't make it the last time; I'd advise not mentioning the scars coz it'll only bring negative attention to them. You could try saying "Coz my skin wasn't at it's best, but I've since taken more care of it", especially when asked "What have you done to improve your skin?"...lol

Don't be disheartened just yet, all the best!

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:30 pm

thanks so much for ur advice!

yea the last time i didnt make it i think it was not just this, but because i picked the wrong skirt for the kebaya, a bit too tight and hard to walk... still remember the interviewer asking me "why u walk so slow? be more confident!" haha, there goes...

thans so much anyway!, i'll bring down the picture now! :)

yummy-liz

Post by yummy-liz » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:42 pm

mastera7x wrote:hahaa.. yearh.. quite true also...

but i heard.. Emirates interview.. is also done by SIA interviewer???

how true is this??

and another thing is that.. one of my mother's friend's daughter...

who also work for emirates as ground staff.. said that .. going for interview in Singapore would likely have less chance than going to Dubai itself ...

Is it true ?

hmmm
Mastera7x Hi, actually the emirates interview it is conducted by singaporeans, but not from SIA, they are the agency that help emirates to look for candidates during the open day. If you can make it to the 2nd round, it is all done by the emirates staff from dubai. Hm, About the interview in singapore, i cant say much, cos i had mine KL, but what i think that all kinds of interviews if its held in singapore i guess its hard :?

XiaoBao3

Post by XiaoBao3 » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:44 pm

ya.. i believe the sizes there are also not according to the actual xs-xl size.. :o
hehe.. whatever it is.. keep trying until u get it.. never give up..

smurfieee
Regular
Regular

Post by smurfieee » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:48 pm

XiaoBao3 wrote:actually i dont know if i'm right to say..
we do see some bigger sized stewards/stewardess at the airport but when it comes to interview, they didnt stated in the requirement to be within BMI normal range..
and the kebaya/outfit fittings, they have the size but they are left by the ex stewards/stewardess and some are tailor-made so it doesnt really fit..

but of cos.. we wont want to see a plump lady serving a passenger cos it might ruin the company's reputation.. but somehow i'm just raising my thoughts.. no offend to anyone.. :wink:
There is a requirement BMI in check when you are actually with SIA...wahaha...but if you see a pump Singapore girl..you can call and lodge a complaint...and she will be grounded le!! :cool:
::s.m.u.r.f.i.e.e.e::

XiaoBao3

Post by XiaoBao3 » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:56 pm

smurfieee wrote:
XiaoBao3 wrote:actually i dont know if i'm right to say..

There is a requirement BMI in check when you are actually with SIA...wahaha...but if you see a pump Singapore girl..you can call and lodge a complaint...and she will be grounded le!! :cool:
alamak.. :shock: break ppl's rice bowl..
but still, they accept them in the first place cos they have wat it takes to be one.. but i did see one of the threat mention, they need to slim down before they take off.. hehe.. but motivation really plays a big role in slimming down.. i see ppl in the forum slimming 40plus kg.. which is ALOT!!!!!

how about the scars? like chicken pox scar? definitely got booted out?

yummy-liz

Post by yummy-liz » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:05 pm

guys, i didnt pass the final round at the sia interview, that was because of my body weight issue too :???:

XiaoBao3

Post by XiaoBao3 » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:19 pm

yummy-liz wrote:guys, i didnt pass the final round at the sia interview, that was because of my body weight issue too :???:
continue to slim down and u might pass one day?
be motivated yummy-liz!!
sure u can make it one..

some with high BMI but their appearance is like normal BMI also can get in..
jiayou!

**look at the mirror**
seems like i must go do some soul research and shake off some weight..
let's be motivated.. but i try so hard and only manage to put off 13kg.. and stuck here. duh..........
so angry... why i have heavier bone mass? :mad:

yummy-liz

Post by yummy-liz » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:26 pm

XiaoBao3 wrote:
yummy-liz wrote:guys, i didnt pass the final round at the sia interview, that was because of my body weight issue too :???:
continue to slim down and u might pass one day?
be motivated yummy-liz!!
sure u can make it one..

some with high BMI but their appearance is like normal BMI also can get in..
jiayou!

**look at the mirror**
seems like i must go do some soul research and shake off some weight..
let's be motivated.. but i try so hard and only manage to put off 13kg.. and stuck here. duh..........
so angry... why i have heavier bone mass? :mad:

I was kinda pissed they failed me at the final round due to body weight issue, they could have failed me during the kebaya round. I went all the way to singapore for that.. -sigh-

I dont think am that BIG, but yeah,,, compared to the girls, am a monster, hahahaha... am not giving up! trying really hard on my diet plan now.. suffer! i Love food!! :mad: I have 2 more months to go...

U lost 13kg, thats really good enough, dont over do it ^^ take care, btw, how did u lose that? :lol:

mastera7x
Regular
Regular

Post by mastera7x » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:37 pm

arrr.. i see.. but as far as I know.. there's this hot issue of not wanting malay people working as a cabin crew.. for girls.. there's quite a number of them.. but for guys... I dont really know..

cause for myself .. im a malay..

height wise.. not an issue.. about 179

weight.. haa.. around the healthy weight.?? 70kg..?

other than that.. i dont know whether im good looking or not.. heh

but anyway... interview for such jobs.. are very hard to get...

you guys mentioned about dont give up.. and keep trying.. and when a person reaches 30+ years old... and still he/she didnt get in still after numerous interviews...

it will be ridiculous right..?

yummy-liz

Post by yummy-liz » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:46 pm

mastera7x wrote:arrr.. i see.. but as far as I know.. there's this hot issue of not wanting malay people working as a cabin crew.. for girls.. there's quite a number of them.. but for guys... I dont really know..

you guys mentioned about dont give up.. and keep trying.. and when a person reaches 30+ years old... and still he/she didnt get in still after numerous interviews...

Its not true. I went for emirates interview before, and there were malays accepted. But for guys are much harder. trust me, they dont look for good looking ones! they look for great personality. much different from sia :???: I do think that if you really want this job, you shouldnt give up, but as u said for the age of 30+, i think better look for something else and not waste time on this seriously. Since am still young, so am not giving up too :D

mastera7x
Regular
Regular

Post by mastera7x » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:50 pm

and that is from Singapore or KL ??

great personality.. as in .. good in public relations ?? as in.. very good communication skills..??

happy go lucky person???

haa

Angiezz

Post by Angiezz » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:53 pm

mastera7x wrote:arrr.. i see.. but as far as I know.. there's this hot issue of not wanting malay people working as a cabin crew.. for girls.. there's quite a number of them.. but for guys... I dont really know..

Imho that's a pretty dated assumption.

If talking abt SIA, they employ Indonesian-, Malaysian-, Indian- & etc -nationalities to be part of the crew. Partial reason being a bridge to minimise the language barriers. When having flights to countries like Indo, M'sia, India, HK, China, Japan, Korea & so many more, it helps if we have pple who are proficient in those mother tongues.
This is a service line after all.
I'd say that the cabin crew comprises a diverse range of ethnic backgrds.

Can't say the same for other occupations tho. Admittedly & especially in certain jobs related to national security, it seems that the ethnic bckgrd & nationality play an important part. Not impossible to get in, just alil tougher.

Mastera7x, great personality as in being more outgoing, well-spoken, warm, friendly, amiable, approachable...along those lines... :)