Singapore Expats

Legality of lending money to a friend - am I screwed ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Thu, 29 May 2008 9:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Levikane wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:A 'friend' still owes me over SGD20.000 and simply refuses to pay me back, it's been over four years and he even refused a lawyer's call and demand. All I had was an IOU and now I can't even find that with all the moving around. :? :cry:

DON'T lend money to friends. Sadly enough.
You called a lawyer over $20 bucks?
I believe that is a typical European way of writing $20K not $20. (using a fullstop instead of using a comma as is in the British/US style. I'd have called a lawyer as well.
It's also the way they do it in Indonesia, and possibly other SEA countries, which would have more influence on a local than Europe would.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why doesn't everybody complain about Malay? They did the same thing the Noah Webster did. They took Bahasa Indonesia and simplified the language spellings and it became Basaha Malayu. No problem.
I think you have that back-to-front, Malay was adopted by Indonesia as the official language less than 100 years ago.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 May 2008 5:25 pm

I was under the impression that the Bahasa Malayu spellings were changed after WWII at some point to eliminate the majority of double vowels that were originally in the language due to the Dutch influence. I wasn't inferring that Malayu or Bahasa Indonesia came first.

I wasn't aware about Melayu being adopted by Indonesia initially prior to Malaysia's simplifying of the language. Always appreciate an additional tidbit of info. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Fri, 30 May 2008 8:40 am

Sorry, misread "They took Bahasa Indonesia and simplified the language spellings and it became Basaha Malayu." to mean that Indonesian came first.

They may have changed them in malay (I'm much more familiar with Indonesian) but Indonesian still uses a lot of double vowels such as maaf and perusahaan etc, but they did change the spelling of a lot of words to simplify them.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 30 May 2008 8:56 am

you belajar something baru everyday.

(mutated bahasa inglishayu?) :)

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Fri, 30 May 2008 9:37 am

Aku suka mengajar :D

oh, and it's spelt Inggris :P

hk203
Regular
Regular

Post by hk203 » Fri, 30 May 2008 10:38 am

\
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Sat, 31 May 2008 1:21 pm

Levikane wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:A 'friend' still owes me over SGD20.000 and simply refuses to pay me back, it's been over four years and he even refused a lawyer's call and demand. All I had was an IOU and now I can't even find that with all the moving around. :? :cry:

DON'T lend money to friends. Sadly enough.
You called a lawyer over $20 bucks?
Well, even if you were confused by the . as opposed to the , then the three zeros following should have given you a hint. :roll:
- Thank God for Darwin -