Singapore Expats

Going Home

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tinybear2002

Going Home

Post by tinybear2002 » Fri, 23 May 2008 11:51 pm

I've lived in Singapore for 15 months now but am relocating back to Scotland in 5 1/2 weeks. I'm really sad about going back to the place i used to call home.

I love Singapore and really don't want to go.

I love the fact i can take my kids out after dark and not worry about what's going to happen to them or me, i love the fact that they can read and write which their counterparts in the Scotland are not allowed to do until they are 5!! i love that they are only 2 and 3 years old and can speak and write Mandarin Chinese. I love the fact that I have made only a couple, but very good friends here, they will stay close to my heart for the rest of my life. I love the fact you can jump on a bus to the other end of the Island and it will only you cost you around 93pence!! I love the way rain comes down, heavy!! lol

I wish all old hands in Singapore and New Comers the best there is on this lovely Island.

Best Wishes to all, Enjoy Singapore while you can, you never know when the dream will end!!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 24 May 2008 6:53 pm

i'm glad you're leaving with positive and fond memories of singapore.

don't forget to visit... ! :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Going Home

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 24 May 2008 10:24 pm

tinybear2002 wrote:I love the fact i can take my kids out after dark and not worry about what's going to happen to them or me, i love the fact that they can read and write which their counterparts in the Scotland are not allowed to do until they are 5!! i love that they are only 2 and 3 years old and can speak and write Mandarin Chinese. I love the fact that I have made only a couple, but very good friends here, they will stay close to my heart for the rest of my life. I love the fact you can jump on a bus to the other end of the Island and it will only you cost you around 93pence!! I love the way rain comes down, heavy!! lol
Tinybear, I wish there were more people like you who actually like it here. I'm sure your goodwill has made this place a nicer one while you were here and leave its footprint after you're gone.

May you have
Walls for the wind,
And a roof for the rain,
And drinks bedside the fire.
Laughter to cheer you,
And those you love near you,
And all that your heart may desire.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sat, 24 May 2008 11:11 pm

tinybear2002 wrote:I've lived in Singapore for 15 months now but am relocating back to Scotland in 5 1/2 weeks. I'm really sad about going back to the place i used to call home.

Nice to know there are expats that appreciate the good things about being here.
:)
tinybear2002 wrote:i love that they are only 2 and 3 years old and can speak and write Mandarin Chinese.
If there's a University near where you'll live in Scotland, you might find a Chinese or Singaporean student to continue Mandarin lessons for the kids.
Who knows what the future holds in store for today's children.
:wink:
tinybear2002 wrote:I wish all old hands in Singapore and New Comers the best there is on this lovely Island.

Best Wishes to all, Enjoy Singapore while you can, you never know when the dream will end!!
Good luck to you on acclimating back there.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Mon, 26 May 2008 12:15 pm

WIMH, there are more, I don't think the more noisy ones on this forum are representative of all expats actually living here, When I first came, they were the ones telling me to wait a couple of years before telling anyone I loved the place, well I've been here nearly three years and love the place even more. By the way, I missed you on your short hiatus, good to see you back :)

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Mon, 26 May 2008 12:21 pm

Bye, keep the memories! :)
- Thank God for Darwin -

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:10 pm

Sure, 15 months and the bubble didnot burst... :roll:
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Mon, 26 May 2008 5:53 pm

Superglide wrote:Sure, 15 months and the bubble didnot burst... :roll:
Not everyone is as miserable and pathetic as you, Superglide. :roll:

You see a bubble that needs to burst because of your inadequacy to cope when others see life trough their eyes and experiences.

5 months, 15 months, 5 years. Who cares, and why try to dampen tinybear's happiness because you are a loser?
Well, you are Dutch and live in Holland, so I guess that's reason enough the be sad. :wink:

Tinybear - ignore the misery-guts and treasure the memories :D
- Thank God for Darwin -

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 28 May 2008 9:17 pm

sillingw wrote:WIMH, there are more, I don't think the more noisy ones on this forum are representative of all expats actually living here, When I first came, they were the ones telling me to wait a couple of years before telling anyone I loved the place, well I've been here nearly three years and love the place even more. By the way, I missed you on your short hiatus, good to see you back :)
Hi there, Sillingw. Always glad when you breeze in with your gentle good cheer. I think Abraham Lincoln's attitude works best when it comes to the naysayers on this forum (and life in general) - "The ayes have it!" :D

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sat, 31 May 2008 7:51 am

tinybear2002 wrote:I've lived in Singapore for 15 months now but am relocating back to Scotland in 5 1/2 weeks. I'm really sad about going back to the place i used to call home.

It's a terrible thing to have to leave before you're ready. And I'd say at 15 months, you've gotten over the initial 'honeymoon phase' and done all the work to settle in here so you're enjoying the comfortable life you've made, with friends and routines and appreciation for your surroundings.

Sorry you have to leave, when things were just looking so good!

I have six friends leaving this month. Some are ready, so ready to go -- some call me for a shoulder to cry on everyday. I'll tell you what I tell them: if you really love it here, chances are you'll find your way back. I've seen it dozens of times.

It would be very hard to define 'expatriate' beyond what we'd find in a dictionary, it's so subjective, but perhaps one thing most of us have in common, is living with the idea that any day that big hook is going to come (from home office, usually) and drag you off stage. Depending on how much of a risk taker you are, you can either subject yourself to the whims of the 'big hook' or not. Does that make any sense?

Good luck with your transition back.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 May 2008 9:42 am

road.not.taken wrote: Depending on how much of a risk taker you are, you can either subject yourself to the whims of the 'big hook' or not. Does that make any sense?

Nice analogy! Makes a lot of sense. That's exactly what I did in 1989 when the 'big hook' tried to drag me back to Morgan City, La.

I resigned and life has been, to say the least, very interesting over the past 19 years. It is definitely a risk. For me the rewards were good (not necessarily monetarily) but now I've been experiencing the pangs of homesickness for the past 5 years. First time I've had those kind of feelings over the past 25 years. Guess that's why I say I've passed my use-by date.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 3:25 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
road.not.taken wrote: Depending on how much of a risk taker you are, you can either subject yourself to the whims of the 'big hook' or not. Does that make any sense?

Nice analogy! Makes a lot of sense. That's exactly what I did in 1989 when the 'big hook' tried to drag me back to Morgan City, La.

I resigned and life has been, to say the least, very interesting over the past 19 years. It is definitely a risk. For me the rewards were good (not necessarily monetarily) but now I've been experiencing the pangs of homesickness for the past 5 years. First time I've had those kind of feelings over the past 25 years. Guess that's why I say I've passed my use-by date.

Guess that's why I say I've passed my use-by date.
I would say far from it, now you have a second lease of life, for a good 30 years more :P so enjoy it! You probably won't even break out in a sweat, down at the farm, relax and enjoy your retirement, it's well earned after all!