Singapore Expats

Wise or Unwise move?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Wise or Unwise move?

Post by youdunsay » Mon, 12 May 2008 9:33 pm

Hi everyone.

Do you think that a person can work 11pm-8am everyday for two years? Do you think it's an unwise move for me to suggest to my manager for putting me to work on a night shift? And ah yes, I'm just planning to take up an everyday-evening-class university degree. It will be like 7-10 class and right after class I'll rush down for work till the morning I can get back to sleep. Sounds topsy-turvy for my biological clock though, but I think I can have some gap time to study before I reach school around 5pm or so.

Comments?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: Wise or Unwise move?

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 12 May 2008 9:46 pm

youdunsay wrote: Do you think that a person can work 11pm-8am everyday for two years? Do you think it's an unwise move for me to suggest to my manager for putting me to work on a night shift?
People do it all the time.....

Question is whether you live in a quiet place that remains quiet during the day and can be dark enough for you to sleep. You'd still get 6hrs of sleep per day, though, that might not be enough.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 12 May 2008 10:22 pm

yeah, why not. you just got to balance it well between work, sleep and study (no pleasure). :P

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Tue, 13 May 2008 8:34 pm

yeah, why not. you just got to balance it well between work, sleep and study (no pleasure)
Hmm I'm prepared for that when I took this job for my degree. But my parents and friends discourage me to do that. They find it crazy, I think.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Wed, 14 May 2008 1:53 pm

Are there quiet places during the day in Singapore?!?!? :shock:

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Wed, 14 May 2008 8:27 pm

Are there quiet places during the day in Singapore?!?!?
er...

I just hope I can pull through for 2 years. How do you keep yourself awake in the night? I know in the day people listen to mp3 to kill time while doing their paper work but any great idea to keep yourself awake in the night?

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Thu, 15 May 2008 12:46 pm

There are not many quiet places anywhere in Singapore, you have to go to Paulau Ubin to hear the buzz of Singapore fade away, youll probably end up having to sleep in one of those isolation chambers.

trinity511

Post by trinity511 » Thu, 15 May 2008 4:42 pm

I think in the end it all depends on you and what you want out of life, if this will help improve your future and you focus on doing it, then I believe you can. But it would be easier with support from your friends and family instead of negatives. Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck.

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Thu, 15 May 2008 8:38 pm

thank you trinity.

daggie

Post by daggie » Wed, 21 May 2008 10:25 pm

I've been working in factories with people doing shift work (not myself, though). From what I heard the hardest is changing between shifts. Means it would be easier in your case if you stick to one shift pattern, i.e. constantly working nights.
Would you be entitled to any shift benefits? I.e. more time off, money.. this is another thing that makes some people actually like shift work.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 25 May 2008 8:27 pm

can you make sure you include time for hitting the gym or soem other form of exercise? (running, cycling, swimming, blah)

the worse thing that can happen is that due to stress, you become ill. i don't mean a cough and cold.

watch your diet too. take all the necessary fruits and vegetables during each square meal.

with those observed, i think you can work your ass off and be proud of your accomplishments a little down the road.

good luck!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Mon, 26 May 2008 12:49 am

Had a colleague that worked night shift for years.
He would have it no other way.
Lots of freedom with no one around making petty demands.
Also could do errands and go shopping during the day and avoid crowds.

Need to get a good day's sleep to stay up at night.
Make sure you have dark curtians, good aircon (so you can keep the windows closed).
Unless you're a light sleeper, you can get used to the background noise (as long as it's not construction noise).