Singapore Expats

Born to Sinaporean Parents in US

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
t.kwan

Born to Sinaporean Parents in US

Post by t.kwan » Fri, 23 May 2008 8:03 am

My son was born in the US in 2000. We have never registered him as a Singaporean, well, we tried but they wanted so much documentation that we got lazy.

Anyway, it has got to a point where I am hoping to send him back to school when he gets to the Secondary School age.

My question -
Would he be able to get a student visa? Right now, I feel that since he can be given a choice, I would like him to choose to serve NS or not. So, there are no plans for citizenship.

However, I have heard from friends that in this situation, he might not be able to get a student pass.

Any input will be much appreciated, but no trolls please! :D

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 24 May 2008 7:05 pm

i don't think it's a problem for him to get a student visa, and in fact i encourage that you send him to singapore for a few years of study.

i'm not sure what you meant about NS and your son, but he probably won't have to serve NS if he came in as an american.

naturally, he'll be a full-fee paying student. which isn't all that expensive, really, since he'll be staying with singaporean relatives (right?).

i also doubt the singapore government can compel you or him to turn him into a singaporean. especially since he enjoys no subsidies/benefits.

good luck! i say, send him home earlier if you can. i personally feel they get more resistant to the idea of leaving the US for singapore as they get older.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 May 2008 12:45 am

I would agree wholehearted with taxico on this.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers