Singapore Expats

Hot chicks, cheap drinks, cool crowd.

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Gilly
Regular
Regular

Post by Gilly » Mon, 12 May 2008 11:34 pm

banana wrote: I happen to be one of those who "found my maleness" and I can assure you, it has nothing to do with having gone overseas.
Maybe something to do with dancing bananas. So very alpha male :wink:

at914

Post by at914 » Tue, 13 May 2008 11:15 am

Gilly wrote:
banana wrote: I happen to be one of those who "found my maleness" and I can assure you, it has nothing to do with having gone overseas.
Maybe something to do with dancing bananas. So very alpha male :wink:
In his defense, its peanut butter jelly time!!

haha.

Google it.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Wed, 14 May 2008 11:59 am

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....no

wait. yes.

Cecilia88

Post by Cecilia88 » Thu, 15 May 2008 11:05 am

wow~There sure is an interesting discussion going on~~ :D

booties

Post by booties » Thu, 15 May 2008 3:49 pm

Check out dempsey area..

erm... if you're looking for cheap girls, erm... well.. i guess maybe you might want to try geylang.

hiking out

Post by hiking out » Thu, 15 May 2008 8:14 pm

Recently arrived here have you? Haven't had a chance to see the local male population in all their splendor yet? The perception espoused above is like all perceptions, it's not usually the overwhelming majority, but it is a very large minority that stand out like sore thumbs. When the most telling traits here is being work-a-holics coupled with the 3rd lowest fertility in the world. (1.32 I believe it is currently), AND their (the boys) penchant for whining and whinging about having to do National Service while "the girls" don't, it does tend to tar all males here with the same brush. That and the extremely high levels of ED noted in Singapore ( http://www.sma.org.sg/smj/4401/4401a3.pdf ) and the highest incidences of Myopia (60+% of the population by the time they hit JC) all tend towards confirming the stereotype at least here in Singapore - not necessarily all Asian Males however .......

However, it must be said, that as more and more local males go overseas for educations they seem to find their "maleness" and they tend to stand out or are at least comfortable with their maleness and don't have to whine about everything. For that matter, some of them actually carry their own books instead of making the maids do it.

ED - Fact, not subjective
Myopia - Fact, not subjective
Fertility Rate - Fact, not subjective
Whinging about NS - Fact, just read any forum or local daily

"not usually the overwhelming majority, but it is a very large minority" - Fact I hope. If it's the majority there really is trouble.

What's subjective?
SMS,

Italians have a fertility rate of 1.23, the second lowest in Europe, just ahead of the Spainards, so by your arguements Spainards and Italians would have little machismo and make poor lovers, ya??

and isn't whining and whinging a favorite pastime of some posters here.

You get into trouble when you mix perceptions with stereotypes, facts and conclusions.

and to PP and OP,

yes, Dempsey and Boat Quay are recommendations though not cheap and geyland is an interesting place, certainly worth a visit, have a bite and looksee, if meerly to prick the various myths and stereotypes about singapore
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

crin

Post by crin » Sat, 17 May 2008 9:37 pm

this thread seemed to start on a fun note, but as i read, it gets serious along the way. lighten up guys!
time to get out..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 May 2008 9:01 am

hiking out wrote:
Recently arrived here have you? Haven't had a chance to see the local male population in all their splendor yet? The perception espoused above is like all perceptions, it's not usually the overwhelming majority, but it is a very large minority that stand out like sore thumbs. When the most telling traits here is being work-a-holics coupled with the 3rd lowest fertility in the world. (1.32 I believe it is currently), AND their (the boys) penchant for whining and whinging about having to do National Service while "the girls" don't, it does tend to tar all males here with the same brush. That and the extremely high levels of ED noted in Singapore ( http://www.sma.org.sg/smj/4401/4401a3.pdf ) and the highest incidences of Myopia (60+% of the population by the time they hit JC) all tend towards confirming the stereotype at least here in Singapore - not necessarily all Asian Males however .......

However, it must be said, that as more and more local males go overseas for educations they seem to find their "maleness" and they tend to stand out or are at least comfortable with their maleness and don't have to whine about everything. For that matter, some of them actually carry their own books instead of making the maids do it.

ED - Fact, not subjective
Myopia - Fact, not subjective
Fertility Rate - Fact, not subjective
Whinging about NS - Fact, just read any forum or local daily

"not usually the overwhelming majority, but it is a very large minority" - Fact I hope. If it's the majority there really is trouble.

What's subjective?
SMS,

Italians have a fertility rate of 1.23, the second lowest in Europe, just ahead of the Spainards, so by your arguements Spainards and Italians would have little machismo and make poor lovers, ya??

and isn't whining and whinging a favorite pastime of some posters here.

You get into trouble when you mix perceptions with stereotypes, facts and conclusions.
Hiking out,

I would have to ask you if your first language is English along with a large percentage of others here who got upset with my post as well.

Read the first two lines of my post that you quoted. Do the sentence structures read like a serious passage? I further go on in the next sentences to again, reinforce the fact that these are only "Perceptions". Do I need to put footnotes to dictionaries to support the meaning of perceptions? I actually explain perceptions for you in the next sentence. It's only a minority! And let's face it, the old saying that "one rotten apple spoils the whole basket" took hold for a reason. one being a small percentage but enough so that that is what is remembered by most. The data, while mixing fact with perceptions, only lends itself to supporting how the perceptions get founded, hence "tending towards confirming the stereotype" I even followed with a debunker.

Okay, I will agree the first line of the 2nd paragraph could be a little OTT but again, if you have done 14 years of recruitment and being an HR Manger, I see a major difference in the way locals with o/seas experience handle themselves in interviews versus locals who have never left these shores. I'm sorry if I stepped on anybodies toes or bruised any egos, but people really need to learn to read properly.

As far as Italians & Spainards go, it's perception as well isn't it? Old stereotypes die hard (at least "they" hope so). But see that's a good "perception" so nobody complains. Oh, when that perception came about the fertility rate of both countries was much much higher as well wasn't it. Let's keep it apples to apples shall we?

Does Singapore only have 'bad' perceptions? NO. Of course not. The education system consistently scores top marks and is in focus around the world for it's ability to produce top Science & Maths Students, the Government is one of the "most transparent" in Asia. Government efficiency ratings are very high, especially for businesses. The only ones whining and whinging here are those that didn't like my post. I'm not doing either.

As you do seem to have a wee bit of trouble with tongue-in-cheek, I guess my last statement about carrying their own books fell outside the mark as well. But I am sure you read the local Gov't daily mouthpiece........ :P

Conclusions? Draw your own.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 18 May 2008 12:13 pm

SMS, when you quote "official statistics", it kinda defuses tongue in cheek humour. I'm sure someone with your command of English understands I'm playing that down some.

PS: can we stick to the topic? otherwise it's like giving up the Holy Grail to debate whose e-penis is bigger.
some signatures are more equal than others

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 May 2008 12:27 pm

banana wrote: PS: can we stick to the topic? otherwise it's like giving up the Holy Grail to debate whose e-penis is bigger.
Good idea. You're the one with the e-banana. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 19 May 2008 2:30 pm

:lol:

yes, I am one with the banana

any luck so far OP?

hiking out

Post by hiking out » Mon, 19 May 2008 10:23 pm

to sms,

you sounded so cocksure (excuse the pun), so i chose to use an extension of your logic against you,

cannot resist the temptation to prick (excuse me again) your balloon of hot air :wink:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

Paddle

Post by Paddle » Tue, 20 May 2008 8:21 pm

There is nothing wrong with Asian men. Certainly having lived in several countries (Western and Asian) and having dated men of both races, I have come to realize that it is more a meeting of the minds and interest that leads one to date the other. In this day and age of multiculturalism, I doubt it is more an imposition (or adoption) of another’s view, beliefs and way of life than it is more an interest between a man and a woman. Caucasian men find Asian women exotic, some have found them worldly and less confined than the stereotype Caucasian woman (as melbournejustice put it, ‘putting makeup before husband arrives’). Some have found Asian women less (or more) aggressive…. An attraction between a man and a woman cannot be defined, it is just well… an attraction.

People from Asia have certainly come far (some may argue, has always been, depending on what you define as developed/advanced, take Chinese and IndoChine civilizations). Do we aspire to be the West today, whether we choose to believe it or not, yes, perhaps for good reasons. Development, as we all strive for, and as we know it, are of the Western model. We all want cleaner toilets, fairer, humane policies, and that only comes, at the moment, from the West. We dub it the more cultured mind/society. It is not to say Asia isn't cultured (in its own way) but the model we aspire to is that of the West.

I don’t like Asian people pretending to be Westerners – you can smell someone without substance from a mile away – but I’ve got no problem with people who have successfully integrated what they have learnt from overseas into their everyday lives. Having said that, there are also Western people who are without substance.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 May 2008 8:43 pm

Here's another for your gallery....... :wink:

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Tue, 20 May 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks SMS, unfortunately this banana is...a little more wholesome. Still the thought is appreciated.

And to the post before yours, ma'am, I think you will find that thanks to the strict laws of this country, people with substance are in short supply.