Singapore Expats

Any one know how to stop gout

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:09 pm

Loops wrote:
others swear by drinking apple cider vinegar.
I was going to mention that. I'm not a gout sufferer, but I know that apple cider vinegar (ACV) is supposed to be very good for lots of things and my mum
I've always thought that acidic foods, eg Tomato's would FLARE up gout.

Isn't vinegar acidic?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:23 pm

All we need to know about gout:

http://ehealthforum.com/health/gout.html

Have read some of it but there is a lot of info there. Will have to read more as we all may have some misconceptions.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 4:56 pm

Splatted wrote:
Loops wrote:
I was going to mention that. I'm not a gout sufferer, but I know that apple cider vinegar (ACV) is supposed to be very good for lots of things and my mum
I've always thought that acidic foods, eg Tomato's would FLARE up gout.

Isn't vinegar acidic?
Vinegar is acidic pH between 3 and 5% and can be more or less, although the chemistry is quite complexed, all our bodies need acids, to balance the body pH, which swings either way according to diet...

For example a balanced body is said to be around 7 to 7.5 when urine pH is tested if it drops below 7 it is becoming acidic, and above 7.5 is on its way to alkaline. Ph 4 drinking vinegar works as a neutraliser, so if you have a reading of 8, you can reduce it back in balance.... if urine is acidic, its because of the body production, not because you are drinking or eating acids....so the gastric production of pH 2 acid, can also be diluted, by pH 4 vinegar raising the pH to say 3 or towards the normal.

Vinegar acid is a very weak acid which dilutes very easy, and the amount of acetic acid, is very very little 1% in drinking vinegars, although the essential 18 amino acids are in some vinegars, made for drinking, and without a doubt all the acids for the metabolic pathways, are in brewed vinegar.

Not to be mixed up, with distilled vinegar, which is acetic acid, with no health value, and no other functional acids. Think of the good, bad and the ugly, when you think of vinegars and you will not go far wrong.

Specially brewed vinegar being the best for the body! and essential for correct biochemical body balance.

visit www.pccv.com for a better undertsanding of health and vinegar, they are bio chemists. Most doctors touting vinegar as not good for you, are pretty damn, uninformed, they are neither chemists or professional in their alternative beliefs, and would rather peddle western produced medicine, with side effects, to make money.

So I don't agree to any forum, where doctors are giving advice on vinegars, unless they are qualified in bio-chemistry. Everyone to their own special field of work, and GPs' are limited in that area.

My own doctor was against me, drinking health vinegar for the same blind reason she believed, i was putting more acid in the body,,,after 6 months of drinking vinegar, the results was so impressive, she had egg all over her face!

There is enough extremely expensive professional research done on vinegar, to prove many myths, and many truths, with a final conclusion that drinking vinegar is healthy to balance the pH of the body, there is no research however to show, that by drinking vinegar increases the acidic content of stomach, because its a very weak acid, what is noted, is that it increases the pH or reduces the pH, when needed.

High uric acid in the blood maybe caused by diet, if that's the case, vinegar may well disolve the salts, that are formed, within the joints. However if there is a genetic reason for gout, it may not correct the fault, everyone is different, its basically trial and error, but research is now showing vinegar disolves uric acid salts.

There is much research to do...but you will not find a better health drink on the market, providing it is made for drinking that is. If there is a better health drink, i would like to know about it!

Toug

Post by Toug » Fri, 02 May 2008 2:19 pm

Hi, vinegar's taste might be a bit off for some, but try adding honey, helps.. in fact, as my uncle introduced to me, apple cider vinegar and honey is quite a delicious drink.

Also, you may try searching online for goutcure ? i understand we are not allowed to mention the webby, but that website has been most informative for me and the product could be helpful.

Thanks to all of you for the information you have provided on gout, i am 24, guess i have a long way to go, haha.. Take care.

Got this webby from the ehealthforum, http://curezone.com/clark/ph.Asp have read it, looks promising.

Thanks, sundaymorningstaple =]

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 03 May 2008 1:37 am

Toug wrote:Hi, vinegar's taste might be a bit off for some, but try adding honey, helps.. in fact, as my uncle introduced to me, apple cider vinegar and honey is quite a delicious drink.

Also, you may try searching online for goutcure ? i understand we are not allowed to mention the webby, but that website has been most informative for me and the product could be helpful.

Thanks to all of you for the information you have provided on gout, i am 24, guess i have a long way to go, haha.. Take care.

Got this webby from the ehealthforum, http://curezone.com/clark/ph.Asp have read it, looks promising.

Thanks, sundaymorningstaple =]
Hi, vinegar's taste might be a bit off for some, but try adding honey, helps..
Have you been a sleep for the last 3 years! Bio-techology and agricultral chemists, have been removing the vinegar taste, for 25 years, although there is only one true brand, that has turned vinegar into a new beverage, with all the goodness of traditional chinese medicine, and sorghum aged vinegars. hello hello!

If you are in Singapore I recommend the Red Grape, which was demonstarted at the food exhibition, this is really an impressive drink, just like a deep strong wine, without the alcohol, although its not on the shelves for another 3 weeks I believe. and with all the 18 aminos + all the compounds of the metabolism, test your urine, see how you are doing on the pH scale. is the best way to prove to yourself, and go for it. Add honey....why not just buy honey vinegar....Your ACV is out of date dear....ACV doesn't even have Aminos!

Although its good for athletes foot and many other ailments! A true health & energy drink called vinegar.....sour wine, without the sour, has been around quite a number of years now.

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Re:

Post by archcherub » Sat, 21 Jan 2017 3:10 pm

Loops wrote:
I was going to mention that. I'm not a gout sufferer, but I know that apple cider vinegar (ACV) is supposed to be very good for lots of things and my mum (who is some kind of ACV guru as it turns out :D ) keeps recommending it to me for everything from dry hair to indigestion to kidney problems!!!

But if you give it a google, you might find out how good it is supposed to be. I think you're supposed to put one part ACV to about 5 or 6 parts water and drink daily (so it isn't anything too horrendous).

I hope you get some relief - gout sounds horrible.
gout is painful. im an apple cider vinegar drinker myself.
bought online from http://honeycity.com.sg/product-categor ... r-vinegar/

however i only know BRAGG apple cider vinegar. not too aware of other brands
i love the apple cider vinegar raw as well as the apple cider with honey. those tastes great.

archcherub
Regular
Regular

Re: Re:

Post by archcherub » Sat, 21 Jan 2017 3:12 pm

archcherub wrote:
Loops wrote:
I was going to mention that. I'm not a gout sufferer, but I know that apple cider vinegar (ACV) is supposed to be very good for lots of things and my mum (who is some kind of ACV guru as it turns out :D ) keeps recommending it to me for everything from dry hair to indigestion to kidney problems!!!

But if you give it a google, you might find out how good it is supposed to be. I think you're supposed to put one part ACV to about 5 or 6 parts water and drink daily (so it isn't anything too horrendous).

I hope you get some relief - gout sounds horrible.
gout is painful. im an apple cider vinegar drinker myself.
bought online from http://honeycity.com.sg/product-categor ... r-vinegar/

however i only know BRAGG apple cider vinegar. not too aware of other brands
i love the apple cider vinegar raw as well as the apple cider with honey. those tastes great.

also avoid soya bean products. do not drink too much soya milk or eat too much tofu.
avoid soya oil for your cooking too!

qiqi20

Re: Any one know how to stop gout

Post by qiqi20 » Tue, 24 Jan 2017 10:15 am

firefox wrote:Hi all,
I suffer from gout now and again and wonder if anyone knows any way to stop it. I am on tablets to stop the build up of the acid but they dont seem to work.

I have stoped drinking beer and cut down on red meat and seafood any help would be greatfull.
Firefox :???:
Drink more water, really. And drink according to your body weight.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jan 2017 1:34 pm

I've had gout for over 30 years. For a long time I was unaware of it (the local GP blamed it on tendinitis due to an old ankle injury. I found out about it here in Singapore after having injured my knee on a drillship and woke up a 0300 with a knee the size of a sepak takraw ball. They flew me back to Singapore and our company diving doc took a blood sample, then gave me an injection that would reduce the swelling and ease the throbbing and told me to call him the next afternoon when he would be able to confirm gout or not. Full-blown gout! For over a decade I was on zyloric (brand-the med's referred to is actually allipurinol) for over decade and also stopped eating organ meats (liver, kidneys, brains, etc) roast beef (the gravy dripping are the most dangerous), sardines, anchovies, and all beans or germinating seeds like bean sprouts. Stay off of Soyabean products in any form (although some say it's not a culprit, I believe it is). I've even brought on flare ups by eating red bead mooncakes. Been off allipurinol for about 8 years now. Occasionally, I misbehave and will have a flare up but not too serious. A day or two on colchicine usually brings relief (assuming I quit misbehaving). I usually get it in the knees or the big toe knuckle.

You cannot stop gout or cure gout. You can only 'manage' it. Gout is not a condition, but the result of an inherited chemical imbalance in the body (quite often it skips and generation). This imbalance converts 'purine' (one of about 200 types of protein) into uric acid faster than the body's sewage system can flush it out. Thus you get a uric acid buildup in the bloodstream. This can cause crystals in the blood stream and they get lodged in capillaries normally in the joints/tendons where there are signs of stress. This is why is normally shows up in the big knuckle of the big toe as that joint gets more stress than any other joint in the body.

You have a choice. Change your diet or stay on allipurinol but you still have to change your diet. If you don't you will eventually have gouty arthritis with painful growths on your bones at the joints - which will mean cutting out the sides of your shoes so the enlarged knuckle bones don't rub as it's extremely painful. You can also have extremely painful kidney stones that are not rounded calcium stones but jagged uric acid crystals that are unbelievably painful to pass. I've been there several times and even once needed the assistance of an ultrasound blaster to pulverize the stone/crystal into small bits that were passable (except for the 'last mile' which starts the pain all over again - but a little closer to hand!) :-/

And as noted by the above poster, drink sufficient water (minimum of 3 8oz glasses a day). Be careful not to drink too much though as you then can flush out much needed electrolytes & mineral salts as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Jan 2017 5:47 pm

Avoiding red meat and taking fish oil has helped me mostly.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!