Singapore Expats

What age to start formal school?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
catharinevass

What age to start formal school?

Post by catharinevass » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 8:24 pm

Sorry to ask some obvious questions but the area of formal education for my daughter is new to me.

She is 4 years old in May this year & is in nursery. At what age does she go to primary school at the International Schools. We were thinking of Australian International or Avondale Grammar but they have preschool, preparatory, junior, then primary so its quite confusing.

Would appreciate if someone can explain this to me.

Also about these waiting lists... when should I start to put her name down. Is it too early?

Thanks,

Catharine

viajera
Regular
Regular

Post by viajera » Wed, 12 Mar 2008 9:43 am

never too early to sign up for the waiting list, as long as you've decided where to send her. i've heard of parents already sign up their kids for the 2011 schoolyear for tanglin.

note that most schools will ask for registration fees upon signing up.

not sure about the schools you mentioned, but for primary 1, the european schools usually require that the child is 6 years old by the start of the first term (august).

charlie & lola

Post by charlie & lola » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:14 pm

Hi! I recently posted a query about Avondale Grammar as we are planning to enrol our 3.5 year old there( no response to the post so far). Since then, I have contacted the school directly and had some of my concerns alleviated. The school accepts enrolments from age 4 and although my little one doesn't turn 4 till Nov, they were willing to make a concession and accept her into a Reception class in Term 3 as she's already attending pre-kindy here in Oz and is coping well. I really don't want her to go to another early learning centre as an interm before starting kindy at Avondale next year. Stressful enough as it is to move overseas!!
They will take into account that she is only used to half-days and they suggested she attend 3 days initially (with fees adjusted accordingly).

The various terms used (reception, pre-school, kindergarten etc)can be very confusing even in Oz as the different states (NSW vs WA) use different terms. Give the school a call or better still, go and see them and I'm sure you'll be able to get some clear answers and take the next step. Might even bump into each other!! Good luck.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 1:45 am

Just signed up to tangling trust, and the requirement for the nursery is :

Has to be a min. 3 years old on the start date of 1st of Sept.
Potty trained
Good understanding of English
2500 sing dollars application fee

There is a long waiting list which can be by-passed for 165,000 sing dollars
(Yeap you read that figure right.)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:22 am

QRM wrote: There is a long waiting list which can be by-passed for 165,000 sing dollars
I find that rather sad, don't you?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 1:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
QRM wrote: There is a long waiting list which can be by-passed for 165,000 sing dollars
I find that rather sad, don't you?
SMS

Its a double edge sword, a number of people have decided to give Singapore a miss because they cannot get the kids into school here.

If a big corp. needs a manager to generate millions of dollars of revenue then 165k is small change to ensure he can settle without any family schooling worries.

That cash goes back into upgrading the school, I know where you are coming from, and yes its a bit of a raw deal for people who will be shoved out of the Q, but we see it everywhere first class passengers jumping the queue to get on the plane.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:22 am

I agree it happens and the reasons are not laudable but "understandable" Somehow I find it morally reprehensible as we are talking about the children. To me that is what is important. The next generation. But, as you say, there is the flip side that the big boys use and that is "no morals at all - he who has the most marbles wins - and win at any cost"

I just wonder how this translates in a kids mind? Not too big a problem if they are very young and just starting out but how about those from the ages of 10~12 up? If the kid understands that it is okay to step on everybody and anybody to get your way then it doesn't bode well for the future in my view.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it any longer as both of mine are finished school (well, one has and the other is waiting to go to NAFA). Although they will have to watch out for those behind them who do grow up with that moral attitude. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:38 am

Isn't this just the same debenture system that has been in place in high-demand International Schools all over the world? A corporation pays a sum to hold a place for incoming employees' children. The employee can't relocate if there is no school, some guarantee must be made. I don't see a big problem with it -- many of these schools were set up by corporations specifically to educate their employees' children. I don't find it morally reprehensible at all, they are private schools after all and can do what they want.

I guess you have a problem with individuals doing this rather than corporate entities? Maybe that doesn't sit as well, but if an individual is a sole-proprietorship and is setting up business here, they should be allowed the same rights as a large corporation, no? As far as your kids watching out for the loose moral attitudes of those growing up after them under this system -- c'mon, nothing new at all here -- these safeguards have been in place for generations. Queue jumping because of money is not a new phenomenon, as said, how is it different than first class check-in?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:47 pm

I didn't say it wasn't new. I also didn't say it wasn't used elsewhere. Go back and reread my post. But this time without an attitude. I just said I (this means "me" in a personal capacity) find it morally reprehensible. I find queue jumping also the same. I obviously live by a different set of morals than you do. Not saying either is. End of story. We've been there before. You have your view, I have mine. Let it go.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 2:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I didn't say it wasn't new. I also didn't say it wasn't used elsewhere. Go back and reread my post. But this time without an attitude. I just said I (this means "me" in a personal capacity) find it morally reprehensible. I find queue jumping also the same. I obviously live by a different set of morals than you do. Not saying either is. End of story. We've been there before. You have your view, I have mine. Let it go.
My gosh, you've got a big chip on your shoulder. Relax, will you? I had no attitude at all, I was only explaining why the debentures are in place and that in certain circumstances we are all already exposed to the idea that money allows us to jump ahead. You sound like Linda Ronstadt singing 'Poor, poor pitiful me'. Why don't you let that working class hero stuff go for once? :tongue:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 2:30 pm

road.not.taken wrote:You sound like Linda Ronstadt singing 'Poor, poor pitiful me'. Why don't you let that working class hero stuff go for once? :tongue:
See, you just can't let it go.......

Decorum precludes me from replying to your "low crass" comments like above. :roll:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 2:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:See, you just can't let it go.......
Takes one to know one!

:tongue: :tongue:

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:16 am

road.not.taken wrote:
Takes one to know one!

You write very well for a two year old...

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:34 pm

Jeppo wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:
Takes one to know one!

You write very well for a two year old...
Ah sarcasm. Anger's ugly cousin.

I think for a childish discussion my response was appropriate -- besides I'm rubber, you're glue -- everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you.