Singapore Expats

black out fabric

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

black out fabric

Post by ffsgrelier » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 9:18 am

Good morning all
Was a bit puzzled as of which section to put this posting in but hoping someone will have the answer for me.
I am looking to buy some black out linng fabric to make a blind for my baby's room as there is som building work done across the road from her room and it is flooded with halogen light at night. have been quoted about 300 dollars for a roller blind and find it rather ludicrous for a basic one.
I had a look in spotlight but no luck.
Thanks for all your replies, little missy wakes thinking it is time to party with all the lights outside and this is rather tiring for all the household !
F

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 7:33 pm

Roller blinds are tricky to install, but very effective. If you don't need 100% light blocking, you can just go to eg. IKEA and pick up some opaque curtains (~S$70/pop) that can be hung from any existing curtain rod.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 8:31 pm

jpatokal wrote:Roller blinds are tricky to install, but very effective. If you don't need 100% light blocking, you can just go to eg. IKEA and pick up some opaque curtains (~S$70/pop) that can be hung from any existing curtain rod.
Yeah colleagues of mine also bought excellent block-out curtains at IKEA. I've seen them and they do the trick well !
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 8:57 pm

ozchick wrote:
jpatokal wrote:Roller blinds are tricky to install, but very effective. If you don't need 100% light blocking, you can just go to eg. IKEA and pick up some opaque curtains (~S$70/pop) that can be hung from any existing curtain rod.
Yeah colleagues of mine also bought excellent block-out curtains at IKEA. I've seen them and they do the trick well !
55$ for the cheapest and will do the job, that's for a pair although they will be too long.

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

black out fabric

Post by ffsgrelier » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 8:15 pm

Thank you very much all for your advice. I'll check it out.
F