Singapore Expats

Best Neighborhood in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Best Living District in Singapore for Singles

Poll ended at Wed, 21 May 2008 12:16 am

Orhard
13%
Boat Quay
13%
Raffles Place
No votes
China Town
7%
Cairnhill
7%
City Hall
No votes
East Coast
60%
Beach Road
No votes

Total votes: 15

ropak

Best Neighborhood in Singapore

Post by ropak » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:16 am

Hi. I am moving to Singapore in about 4 weeks and I am looking for opinions on the best area to rent an apt/flat. I lived in Singapore 15 years ago, so I am pretty familiar with the layout, but I also know how much Singapore changes. I am 37 yr old single man and have no children. I will be working in Suntec City. The areas I am currently looking at (over the Web only) are the Orchard area, Boat Quay area, and the City Hall area. I know there are many other nice neighborhoods, but I would like to be where the action is, with great access to everything. If you are single, or if you were single, where would you most want to be? Any specific apartments or condos that are favorites? I am coming on an expat package and will have a comfortable budget for housing. Thanks for your advice and opinions.

Noel
San Francisco, California.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:25 am

since you are single, how about geylang? :P

ropak

Post by ropak » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:39 am

I don't know about Geylang. What's the story with that area?

ropak

thanks but no thanks

Post by ropak » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:42 am

Ok. So I fell for it. I googled Geylang and I don't have any need for prostitutes. Any serious replies?

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:46 am

durain wrote:since you are single, how about geylang? :P
That was really helpful. :roll:
ropak wrote:I don't know about Geylang. What's the story with that area?
ropak - You don't remember Geylang?? :o
It hasn't changed much in the past 15 years (just maybe easier to get to).
If you've got a comfortable expat housing package, you could afford some place a bit classier.

The City Hall area would be convenient if you're working at Suntec.
Esplanade, which may be "new" to you, is nearby.

Was the Marina area being developed when you were last in SG?
It's not too far from Suntec.

ropak

Post by ropak » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 1:26 am

Thanks, kaseyma. I was 22 when I last lived in Singapore and barely had two pennies to rub together. And, I rarely had any troubles attracting women in Singapore, so I really don't think I will be seeing much of Geylang.

The marina area development was still in planning in those days, so I don't know much about it. The Boat Quay area was the new up and comer in those days. I'd like to be near going out areas that attract more of the 30 and 40 something crowd and not the teenie bop club girls. What are the current hot spots for the 30 somethings in Singapore? Thanks for your reply.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 6:15 am

Real people also live in Geylang lah.

THere are many areas that are not red light and are east of Aljunid Road. The rent is cheaper adn its very local rather then HDB. On top of whihc it's easy to get everywhere from here.
Be Like Water

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 6:49 am

yalor... what's wrong with geylang? it's full of life, prefect if you are single. can go makan 24/7, shop till you drop and lots of people to mingle about.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 1:12 pm

Matter of fact there are Expats that I know who live in Geylang as well. One of whom is regular of this forum, and they love it there. Singles AND young fun loving couples find that the place is hopping all hours of the night.

I personally would think if money talks, then the two best areas would be East Coast or Geylang for a single.

Of course, if money is no object and the high-life is what you are yearning for then something in the CBD would be great but damned expensive.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ropak

Post by ropak » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for the great replies. I didn't mean to insult the residents of Geylang, but the poster left no explanation and when I googled Geylang, all of the hits had to do with red-light district. I do like the the possibility of living outside the CBD to get more for the money. We have similar high rises in San Francisco in the heart of the business district that charge way too much for such a small space. I also like the idea of an older building that is creaky but has characher and shows off the older architecture. Any good ideas on this would be welcome. Can't wait to be there and makan all night!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 5:07 pm

seeeee.... told you geylang is the place to go for. thank you sms for backing me up on this, just in case the OP thinks i am pimping. :)

you mentioned you will be working in suntec, so geylang is just a short throw from there. it is bursting with life.

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 8:48 pm

ropak wrote:I'd like to be near going out areas that attract more of the 30 and 40 something crowd and not the teenie bop club girls. What are the current hot spots for the 30 somethings in Singapore? Thanks for your reply.
Haven't been 30 something in a long time.

However, the Search box at upper right gives a few links that might be useful for making friends that might know the local scene ("30's", "30 something"):

http://singaporeexpats.com/forum/forum6 ... b238c32350

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... sc-30.html

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... sc-15.html

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 9:22 pm

kaseyma,

Can we use multiples of 30? Then I can still qualify! :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Tue, 22 Apr 2008 9:36 am

hmmm, not sure about the East Coast. I live on the East, but if I was young, free and single, don't think I'd want to be here. I'd probably be looking towards the Boat Quay, Clarke Quay area.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:06 am

Boat & Clark Quay are great provided you have the budget. I would have to agree, hence my comment.