Singapore Expats

Aust. Prospective Marriage Visa?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Aust. Prospective Marriage Visa?

Post by Miss Swan » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 2:24 pm

Hi folks, my boyfriend (Aussie citizen who lives in Brisbane) is hoping that I can go over and be with him, while I'm sieving through my options to see how I can do that. I came across this Subclass visa called the Prospective Marriage Visa that seems suitable in my case. (I also saw a De-Facto visa but I'm not lesbian *lol*)

Wondering if anyone is familiar with this Visa? The eligibility criteria stated is very subjective, as it's not as simple as providing educational certs or papers. My boyfriend and I both love each other very much. I can't apply for a Spouse Visa since we're not financially ready to get married.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Aust. Prospective Marriage Visa?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 6:09 pm

Miss Swan wrote:(I also saw a De-Facto visa but I'm not lesbian *lol*)
Do you have any idea what you are saying? Do you have any idea what de facto means? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 6:40 pm

:???: Obviously not!! :???:

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 8:54 pm

You're asking about an Australian visa, but this is a Singapore forum. Odds are you'll have better luck on a Oz forum -- I'd suggest one, but I don't know of any. :oops:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

markhed
Regular
Regular

Post by markhed » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:22 am

:o :D

Excellent, I needed a good laugh

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Miss Swan » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 1:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Do you have any idea what you are saying? Do you have any idea what de facto means? :roll:
Look up the Australian visa website. There're some sub-classes which state that partners have to be of the same sex ;)

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Post by CAT777 » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 3:45 pm

Miss Swan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Look up the Australian visa website. There're some sub-classes which state that partners have to be of the same sex ;)
Miss Swan,

De Facto Partners are those who are living together without being legally or officially married.
Сингапурский котенок

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 7:16 pm

hi, dont know that much about it, but i believe there is a time frame in which you have to get married. i dont know why, but i'm thinking 9 months....? maybe i read it somewhere.

a british friend of mine (male) was granted an Australian visa/residency on a defacto status. his girlfriend was a NZ citizen, but since NZ citizens can move freely between NZ and Oz it was the same as if she was Australian.

They had to prove a relationship over a number of years (bording passes from holidays abroad, joint bank accounts, utility bills in joint names etc to prove they were living together)

i'd give the australian embassy a call.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 7:54 pm

jpatokal wrote:You're asking about an Australian visa, but this is a Singapore forum. Odds are you'll have better luck on a Oz forum -- I'd suggest one, but I don't know of any. :oops:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/austra ... australia/

mystiquempress

Post by mystiquempress » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 3:47 pm

Miss Swan wrote:Hi folks, my boyfriend (Aussie citizen who lives in Brisbane) is hoping that I can go over and be with him, while I'm sieving through my options to see how I can do that. I came across this Subclass visa called the Prospective Marriage Visa that seems suitable in my case. (I also saw a De-Facto visa but I'm not lesbian *lol*)

Wondering if anyone is familiar with this Visa? The eligibility criteria stated is very subjective, as it's not as simple as providing educational certs or papers. My boyfriend and I both love each other very much. I can't apply for a Spouse Visa since we're not financially ready to get married.
you can post your concern to this website: www.britishexpats.com ; otherwise, you can also check the info to www.immi.gov.au ; and if you want a more detailed discussion on your chances check out with australian immigration agencies here in singapore.. (FYI: i'm applying for OZ migration, not sure if I can post the contact details of what I'm using now, moderators? :? ) they will surely enlighten & give you clearer understanding (esp. on what de-facto visa is) 8-) on what type of visa is right for you.