Singapore Expats

NS question for SPRs

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
besito

NS question for SPRs

Post by besito » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 4:23 pm

Hi,

We will be moving to singapore end of the year for my work and will apply for SPR. We will probably be staying in SG for about 5 years and move to Australia. My son is currently 13 years old now, and he will be more than 16yrs old by the time we move out to Australia. Does that mean he has to serve the NS? Also, we want to preserve our PR status in SG even we move to Australia so my kids will have wider choice in terms of pursuing their careers/lives. Does this mean they really need to serve NS?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 7:56 pm

If you get him PR then yes he will have to do NS. You would have to renew your re-entry permit every 5 years and in order to do that you would have to be employed in Singapore. This would mean that when you move back to Aus, if you don't a job in Singapore you will not be able to renew you re-entry permit therefor you would lose your PR. However, your son would not and would still be required to serve NS. No way around it and allow your son more options in the future. (I did something similar and my son will be doing his NS soon - bit different though as he has dual citizenship).

Have a look through some of the topic in the "Strictly Speaking" Sub-Forum in the "General Forum". Quite a few topics regarding same in there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

frenzal
Regular
Regular

Post by frenzal » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 9:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you get him PR then yes he will have to do NS. You would have to renew your re-entry permit every 5 years and in order to do that you would have to be employed in Singapore. This would mean that when you move back to Aus, if you don't a job in Singapore you will not be able to renew you re-entry permit therefor you would lose your PR. However, your son would not and would still be required to serve NS. No way around it and allow your son more options in the future. (I did something similar and my son will be doing his NS soon - bit different though as he has dual citizenship).

Have a look through some of the topic in the "Strictly Speaking" Sub-Forum in the "General Forum". Quite a few topics regarding same in there.
How can your son have dual citizenship. I thought Singapore permits only singular citizenship?

besito

Post by besito » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you get him PR then yes he will have to do NS. You would have to renew your re-entry permit every 5 years and in order to do that you would have to be employed in Singapore. This would mean that when you move back to Aus, if you don't a job in Singapore you will not be able to renew you re-entry permit therefor you would lose your PR. However, your son would not and would still be required to serve NS. No way around it and allow your son more options in the future. (I did something similar and my son will be doing his NS soon - bit different though as he has dual citizenship).

Thanks Sms!

Would it be possible if I apply for my PR and my family will only become my dependants? This way, my son will not be required to attend NS, I suppose. Is it?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:01 am

frenzal wrote:

How can your son have dual citizenship. I thought Singapore permits only singular citizenship?
Singapore permits dual citizenship for minors up to the age of 21.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers