Singapore Expats

Dependant's passes if I hold a personalised employment pass?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
joshua88
Answers: 1

Dependant's passes if I hold a personalised employment pass?

Post by joshua88 » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 4:21 am

Hi all, need some advice please.

I've been through the MOM website many many times and I can't find the information I'm looking for. I've started my application for a personalised employment pass as I don't have a job secured yet in Singapore. The MOM website quite clearly states that my spouse and children can apply for dependant's passes on the back of my PEP. However, looking at Form 12 which I need to fill in for them, there is a section regarding local sponsorship. It goes on to state that the sponsor must be the same as the sponsor for the work pass holder. Meanwhile, Form 8 which I'm filling in for the PEP clearly says that you do not need a sponsor/job to apply so long as you meet certain criteria.

Therefore my dillemma is what do I fill in for my dependant's sponsorship? Do I say N/A? Can I bring dependant's to Singapore purely on my PEP and with the prospect of finding a job? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Dependant's passes if I hold a personalised employment p

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 4:06 pm

joshua88 wrote:Hi all, need some advice please.

I've been through the MOM website many many times and I can't find the information I'm looking for. I've started my application for a personalised employment pass as I don't have a job secured yet in Singapore. The MOM website quite clearly states that my spouse and children can apply for dependant's passes on the back of my PEP. However, looking at Form 12 which I need to fill in for them, there is a section regarding local sponsorship. It goes on to state that the sponsor must be the same as the sponsor for the work pass holder. Meanwhile, Form 8 which I'm filling in for the PEP clearly says that you do not need a sponsor/job to apply so long as you meet certain criteria.

Therefore my dillemma is what do I fill in for my dependant's sponsorship? Do I say N/A? Can I bring dependant's to Singapore purely on my PEP and with the prospect of finding a job? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
I'm not sure about this, but i suspect you have to be earning 2500$ a month, before the spouse is exempt, sponsorship from the employer...So if they are paying you 1.800$ a month, to get a dependants pass, may need your companies sponsorship, if you can achieve 2500$ a month, you will automatically qualify for dependent pass for your spouse and kids.....

Although like I say I'm not 100% sure, but I got my first dependant pass because my wife met the minimum 2500$ a month criteria.

joshua88

Post by joshua88 » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks for the response. That's also my understanding if you hold an EP or S Pass, the dependants issue is quite clear.

PEP other the other hand I think has some ambiguity. I think it is due to the MOM's introduction of new criteria for PEP eligility to draw people into the country. Specifically I'm on about the following criteria "foreign workers with last drawn salaries SG$7K+" are now eligible to apply.

From my interpretion, to apply for dependants passes you need an EP or S Pass (earning SG$2.5K+). Ignoring the PEP element, by virtue of holding an EP/S Pass - you have a job already. Now, if you bring the PEP element back in, this means I could have an EP without having a job yet.

So does dependant eligility follow EP or actually having a job? Before the PEP, having an EP implied that you had a job too. :D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:41 pm

joshua88 wrote:Thanks for the response. That's also my understanding if you hold an EP or S Pass, the dependants issue is quite clear.

PEP other the other hand I think has some ambiguity. I think it is due to the MOM's introduction of new criteria for PEP eligility to draw people into the country. Specifically I'm on about the following criteria "foreign workers with last drawn salaries SG$7K+" are now eligible to apply.

From my interpretion, to apply for dependants passes you need an EP or S Pass (earning SG$2.5K+). Ignoring the PEP element, by virtue of holding an EP/S Pass - you have a job already. Now, if you bring the PEP element back in, this means I could have an EP without having a job yet.

So does dependant eligility follow EP or actually having a job? Before the PEP, having an EP implied that you had a job too. :D
Yes I just checked, it appears if you was already on EP before applying, your dependants pass is renewed for the 6 months while you look for a job..they are tied together basically, while you secure your next position.

"PEP holders will continue to enjoy the dependants' privileges of their original passes or current eligibility at the point of PEP application, whichever is higher. Those who switch to higher-paying jobs may apply for the corresponding dependants' privileges."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:47 pm

Joshua,

You need to have a standard EP "before" you can get a PEP. Once you have already worked here (pre-vetted in other words) then you can apply for the PEP. You cannot apply for the PEP before securing employment here through the normal EP channels. I quote:
About the Pass

The Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is a new scheme to facilitate the contributions of global talent to Singapore.

Currently, the issue of an Employment Pass (EP) is tied to a specific employer. Any change of employer requires a fresh application. If an EP holder leaves the company, his EP is cancelled and he must leave Singapore unless he finds employment with a new company. In contrast, the new PEP is not tied to any employer and will be granted on the strength of an EP holder's individual merits. A PEP holder is able to remain in Singapore for up to six months in between jobs to evaluate new employment opportunities.
It very specifically states that you must already have an EP in order to get a PEP. With that in mind, as the original EP is Employer Sponsored then the answer is yes, you must already have a job and already have an EP in order to get the PEP. So if you subsequently qualify to get a PEP, you shouldn't have any problems in getting a dependents pass either.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joshua88

Post by joshua88 » Mon, 07 Apr 2008 5:35 am

SMS/KSL,
Thanks for your responses.

Can I throw a spanner into the works and ask you to look at 2 specific sections in the PEP Form 8 to get your interpretions?

I spoke to my brother (who lives out in SG now as PR) and he said a colleague's boyfriend was arriving very soon after getting his PEP approved (no job yet and not a previous EP holder). He is a foreign worker who met the PEP SG$7K+ criteria.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/etc/media ... _Form8.pdf
PART 2A – EMPLOYMENT DETAILS OF PEP APPLICANT
(Please complete this part with details of your employment in Singapore which you will be undertaking upon issuance of your PEP. You may leave Part 2A blank if you have not yet found employment in Singapore.)
PART 2B – LAST EMPLOYMENT DETAILS
(Please complete this part if you are not an existing Work Pass holder in Singapore.)
MOM may subsequently request for supporting documents to verify the information declared below.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:56 am

I understood it to be correct for you....because you are applying under the $7000 a month last employment rule...so your dependant pass will be fulfilled on application of the PEP but for only the 6 months, which is the same length of time as any dependant pass. That's how i understood it.

You don't have to be employed in Singapore before, that i can see, on the MOM website, So you are correct. It's introduced to recruit new talent, as well as trying to keep the old talent too.

7000$ works out about right for the average degree holder i guess.

joshua88

Post by joshua88 » Tue, 08 Apr 2008 4:15 pm

Straight from the MOM's mouth (both my brother and I called them yesterday morning)

To answer my original question - you can apply for dependant passes at the same time as making your PEP application. The local sponsor in this case is the PEP applicant where the PEP applicant has not secured a job yet.

Some more miscellaneous stuff which I asked about...
PEP - legislation changed recently (beginning of this year) - foreign workers eligible to apply if earning SG$7+ pm.

PEP gives legal rights to rent. PEP + dependant's pass gives children
rights to enter schooling system without having to obtain a student pass (visa).

Hope this helps anyone in similar circumstances...

kn1ghtx

Post by kn1ghtx » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:38 am

Some more miscellaneous stuff which I asked about...
PEP - legislation changed recently (beginning of this year) - foreign workers eligible to apply if earning SG$7+ pm.
Hi Joshua88

what did you mean by SG $7k + pm?? what is pm??
I'm also very interested in this new PEP... ^_^

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 2:18 pm

pm means per month!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers