Singapore Expats

Salary , is this enough ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ProfYaffel

Salary , is this enough ?

Post by ProfYaffel » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:10 am

Hi, my first post so be gentle with me

I'm a married Brit with 2 kids and I've been offered a job in Singapore . The company will pay for schooling and health cover but nothing else. They have offered around S$130,000 although it is linked to the USD ( $100,0000) so it could vary. My question is , is this enough to rent a reasonable appartment and get by on + being able to save some money as well ?

Thanks

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 7:46 am

yes.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 8:36 am

Hi Prof - as with so many of these types of questions is really does depend on your lifestyle choice. With rents at all time highs, car ownership costs, and a myriad of personal choices you can make, then it really pays to do some more research.

Before we came over, we trawled through this forum - use the search function up above - and read about other people's expreriences. From that was did a fairly rough budget, and compared such things as rent, utilities, food, travel, tax, health care etc. to our situation back in the country we were living in. That exercise, while time consuming, was invaluable, as it allowed us to negotiate on the items of importance to us. Also of help are organisations such as Mercer who publish annual and half yearly living cost comparisons so you can apply uplifts. While they cost a little, if your company/organisation is serious about sending you here, then they'd be foolish not to invest in such research.

Armed with that research you'll probably find some specific queries so post on back and let's try to help you out! Good luck! P & C :)

ProfYaffel

Post by ProfYaffel » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:49 pm

P&C Thanks for the reply.
I think its mainly the rent I'm worried about. Schools wil be paid for and so will health cover but there is no help with the rent. I have lived in Asia before and don't need to live like a king , don't need a car, just want to have somewhere decent to live and be able to afford to do things with the kids.
So, how about that rent ?

Cheers

ching
Regular
Regular

Post by ching » Sun, 06 Apr 2008 4:23 pm

Hi,

Rent can vary quite a lot depending on where you live, no surprise there.

Are you looking to live somewhere downtown, or is a longer commute (45-60 mins by bus, 15-20 mins by cab, if you're not getting a car) ok with you?

Best of luck with planning your move...
Tips from expats living in Singapore - http://www.livinginsingapore.org

Mandarin_Fun

welcome to Singapore

Post by Mandarin_Fun » Mon, 07 Apr 2008 1:30 pm

With US100,000 per year, you can lead a comfortable life here in Singapore with your whole family. The living cost has gone up due to high inflation last year, but I think that rent and price rise will be modest in 2008.

Teema

Post by Teema » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:46 pm

Condo: 3k+ or HDB: 1.8k+
Car: 1.5k+ for a 2 years lease, $100 for public transport
Food:1k up to 3k (depends on how many chick restaurants you go to!)
Others, electricity+internet+hand phone: 1k

So you pay around 5k/month to start. For a "comfortable life" you should expect paying around 7-8k+/month for a couple.

tooktheredpill

Post by tooktheredpill » Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:08 pm

well given the most popular activity here, it all depends on how much your wife likes to shop =)
With 2 kids u would need a decent amount of space - prob 120sq ft + maybe looking @ ~5k per month in central singa, but $$s are dropping and definitely so as you move out further west and north. Landed properties here are good bang 4 buck but prob won't have a pool.
not knowing your expectations i reckon google will be your best help here

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Post by quidsin » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:15 pm

If your coming here from the UK then your kids will want a pool in their complex. Mark my words. We too thought we could do with a HDB but when you see condo's with all the facilities then you start re-thinking your plan.

I'll be honest with you and say that I was on a similar salary when i arrived here 6 months ago. Coming from the UK also, I didn't take into account that my firm would deduct $1k from my salary for pension. You also need to put money aside for you income tax, say 10% each month. Now start looking at your numbers again...suddenly it don't seem like such a good deal.

I spoke to my seniors after 3 months and said I couldn't survive and would have to go back to the UK, so what happened? They paid me 35% more money, just like that!

Do you research thoroughly, show them examples of costings such as rent and car leasing, this should support your claim for more money.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 9:57 am

ProfYaffel wrote:P&C Thanks for the reply.
I think its mainly the rent I'm worried about. Schools wil be paid for and so will health cover but there is no help with the rent. I have lived in Asia before and don't need to live like a king , don't need a car, just want to have somewhere decent to live and be able to afford to do things with the kids.
So, how about that rent ?

Cheers
you can view properties for rent on this site. everyone has their own idea of what is "suitable accommodation", and the package offered to you may or may not be good enough, depending on what random strangers believe is "suitable accommodation".

do you know anyone who lives here who you can ask? that would be a good start.