Singapore Expats

Experience with movers from Belgium to Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
magnuslu

Experience with movers from Belgium to Singapore?

Post by magnuslu » Sat, 11 Dec 2004 6:46 pm

Hi!

In February next year, my wife and I will be moving from Brussels, Belgium, to Singapore. Does anyone have any experience with companies that can ship our furniture and personal belongings to Singapore? What is a rough estimate of the cost? How long time will it take for the stuff to get there? Anything specific to consider, i.e., what to bring and not to bring?

We do not expect to take all our belongings with us. Let's say two bedroom's worth, and a dining room. We won't bring much equipment from the kitchen as I believe most rental apartments in Singapore provide that.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Magnus
Brussels
Singapore

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 15 Dec 2004 1:21 am

You'll need to start contacting Belgian companies for the quote. The bits that cost are packing the stuff and shipping it over, the last leg from the ship to your house won't be too bad. Any larger moving company will naturally have contacts in Sg and can handle the whole process.

Bull_Terrier

Re: Experience with movers from Belgium to Singapore?

Post by Bull_Terrier » Wed, 15 Dec 2004 5:10 am

magnuslu wrote:Hi!

In February next year, my wife and I will be moving from Brussels, Belgium, to Singapore. Does anyone have any experience with companies that can ship our furniture and personal belongings to Singapore? What is a rough estimate of the cost? How long time will it take for the stuff to get there? Anything specific to consider, i.e., what to bring and not to bring?

We do not expect to take all our belongings with us. Let's say two bedroom's worth, and a dining room. We won't bring much equipment from the kitchen as I believe most rental apartments in Singapore provide that.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Magnus
Brussels
Singapore
Hey Magnus - I'm also in Belgium (Tienen) and would be moving to SG also around the same time as you if I get the job I'm hoping for.
Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any space left over in the container that you will be using to get your stuff over? I would be happy to rent the remaining space from you - I don't have alot to go (no real furniture, just boxes really)
It would be advantageous for you too i think? Instead of you having to pay for unused space, I pay you to use that space....
let me know what you think....
Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see...

matthi68

Post by matthi68 » Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:10 am

Hi,

I moved from Germany to SG two weeks ago. My company arranged everything regarding the moving of my belongings and furniture.

The moving company was UTS International located in The Netherlands (http://www.uts-international.com ). UTS itself will organize the local moving companies and the shipping. Overall it was painless.

The packing and shipping of the container took approx. 6 weeks from Germany to SG. The local moving company in SG was UTS The Family Movers (www.familymovers.com).

Regards,
Matthi

Bull_Terrier

Post by Bull_Terrier » Sat, 15 Jan 2005 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info Matthi,

I'll keep it in mind.....
Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see...

cathylmg

Post by cathylmg » Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:40 pm

magnuslu wrote:Hi!

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Magnus
Brussels
Singapore
You can call Angelika at 96444286. She is a moving facilitator. A very nice lady that I got to know from this forum. She will give you independent advices, an overview of prices & service levels, quotations, all at no hidden or extra costs.

Cathy