Singapore Expats

British Airways Recruitment

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:32 pm

sweetcheeks wrote: Gwennie, I believe we have the same passage for translation. I also couldn't translate lasagne! Can't rem how to spell it too! .
You have spelt it correctly. :D   The pronunciation is what makes it difficult.

sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:41 pm

Plavt wrote:
sweetcheeks wrote: Gwennie, I believe we have the same passage for translation. I also couldn't translate lasagne! Can't rem how to spell it too! .
You have spelt it correctly. :D   The pronunciation is what makes it difficult.
Haha thanks! with Gwennie's help of course!

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:42 pm

haha but in chinese! how do you translate that? that is really unexpected...

i was laughing at myself when i realized i translated manchester wrongly. i think you all should know what i translated it into. i can imagine the lady with her clipboard giggling to herself already... HAHA! this few days of interview must have been really a 哭笑不得 situation for most of the interviewers bah, listen to our chinese also want to faint... HAHA!

anyone has any idea how many ppl went for BA's interview? looks like not many to me...

this is lasagne's chinese translation...

烤宽面条

don't know how true it is though.

valeberry
Regular
Regular

Post by valeberry » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:44 am

whitepetals wrote:haha but in chinese! how do you translate that? that is really unexpected...

i was laughing at myself when i realized i translated manchester wrongly. i think you all should know what i translated it into. i can imagine the lady with her clipboard giggling to herself already... HAHA! this few days of interview must have been really a 哭笑不得 situation for most of the interviewers bah, listen to our chinese also want to faint... HAHA!

anyone has any idea how many ppl went for BA's interview? looks like not many to me...

this is lasagne's chinese translation...

烤宽面条

don't know how true it is though.
i translate as yi da li niu rou fen. lol

pink petals
Regular
Regular

Post by pink petals » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 1:01 am

went for the inteview today morning, think i am one of the earlier ones.. was so tired, hahaha.... cos the past few weeks been working like mad from 630am to 1am...

yup, the BA pp are really friendly.. makes u feel so welcome, unlike our national airline, opps! :-#

while waiting for the interview, the BA pp chat with me for a very short while, asking me where i stay, how long i took to come, etc....
really friendly... :)

and i think one must be good in chinese to join BA (i feel la), cos while chatting among themselves, all of them spoke in chinese. which kinda surprise me cos normally crews talk in english among themselves.

i think i got the same interviewer as whitepetals, a lady with long hair wearing specs ya?

actually i prefer 1 to 1 interview, heee.... not so nervous. there are 3 interviewers in the room, 2 females n 1 guy.

and yup, i think she was looking at our appearance too. cos when i was slient reading the passage, she was looking at my face and taking notes. hopefully, i pass her 'appearance test', i didn't put on much make up. and i look tired despite covering my dark circles (which i think still can see), cos she asked me if i got to wake up early for the interview and what job i am working. heee, maybe she saw how tired looking i am, hence curious what time i got up for interview

i got the same translation as whitepetals... but my captain was captain brown, and mine is copehengan (duno if i spell correct), not manchester. i was like , what! how to translate that... hahah.....

and i skipped the via black sea thingy too cos i really duno how to translate. the translation passage was kinda long i feel, heee... i was scribbling like mad on the paper (my handwriting was horrible, haha).

as for reading, it was easy but then i guess my tone was weird, think cos monotonous (mei you gan qing)... cos after i finished and looked up, the lady was kinda of trying to hold back her laughter... :oops:

after that, she told be if by 9th april no calls from them, means not selected. and 4hrs for round 2, etc.

really enjoyed the process although was stress out by the translation part.. the BA pp are really nice and friendly and geninue.

crossing my fingers now. if failed, i am sure gg to try again at their next recruitment since they dun have an age limit. :)

p.s sorry for the long-winded post....

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 1:25 am

Pink Petals,
Please don't think I am trying to patronize but here's a little tip which I will post for you and anybody else who reads this; when you write place names always use a capital letter: Manchester and Copenhagen (maybe you already know but some people do forget even English people:o ). When you get stuck with a simple English word or place name break it down e.g;

Co-pen-ha-gen, Not always that simple of course so here's a website where you can get used to English sounds, just listen for 15 or twenty minutes per day should help.

http://www.euronews.net :D :wink:

Ps: I would be interested in what lasagne is in Chinese even though I think it yeuuck!!!

baby29

Post by baby29 » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 2:26 am

Me went for the interview on 24mar08 1130 slot.... can only say pray hard hopefully can go thru to the next interview....all the best to all...

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:50 am

haha, so pink petals, did u managed to translate Copenhagen? and brown? you couldn't possibly have said "褐色“ right? by the way, the lady that interviewed me had big eyes and short hair... guess the interviews all had a few passages/translations each...

hmm, chinese teachers should really try out for BA's recruitment if they want a change in career path... they'll ace the test i'm sure.

i wonder when we will start to hear some good news from people here on sgexpat's forum! :D

exclusivepink

Post by exclusivepink » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:04 am

whitepetals wrote:woah..

i was looking at it and trying to translate.. quite tough.

i skipped one line, which is "this is captain smith.." how to translate that?!

and my biggest problem was this line.

we will be flying north across the indian ocean towards the middle east via the black sea into europe.

SO LONG!!

haha! i kinda stumbled and er a bit here and there. i apologized to my interviewer after that and she was like "it's okay, you don't have to apologize".. haha! guess im so gone for this interview! not expecting anything, but it was a really good and fun experience. BA crew are really friendly people! :)

good luck everyone~!
hey, i got the exact translation passage as yours. it was... damn tough. lol... i said Manchester was Man-Lian... when it should be Man-Ce-Si-Te... felt so embarrased, so i apologised also! that Lady, Ann, said no need to be sorry also. keke...

from what i heard, those who went for the interviews on 24th, they were told that they shld receive the call by 26th Mar... but those who went on 25th, it's by 9th Apr. very great difference.

and i think those whu went on 24th are ex crews? just guessing, cos 2 friends who went are ex-crews/current crews.

anyway, i think mine is gone case already... hahha... but the pple there are reali very nice. good experience.

Dru
Regular
Regular

Post by Dru » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:07 am

whitepetals wrote:haha, so pink petals, did u managed to translate Copenhagen? and brown? you couldn't possibly have said "褐色“ right? by the way, the lady that interviewed me had big eyes and short hair... guess the interviews all had a few passages/translations each...

hmm, chinese teachers should really try out for BA's recruitment if they want a change in career path... they'll ace the test i'm sure.

i wonder when we will start to hear some good news from people here on sgexpat's forum! :D
Hey i think copenhagen's 哥本哈根, lasagne's 義大利千層麵.. :)
mine needed me to translate heathrow airport....
Life's A Bowl Of Salad...

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:13 am

[/quote] hey, i got the exact translation passage as yours. it was... damn tough. lol... i said Manchester was Man-Lian... when it should be Man-Ce-Si-Te... felt so embarrased, so i apologised also! that Lady, Ann, said no need to be sorry also. keke...

from what i heard, those who went for the interviews on 24th, they were told that they shld receive the call by 26th Mar... but those who went on 25th, it's by 9th Apr. very great difference.

and i think those whu went on 24th are ex crews? just guessing, cos 2 friends who went are ex-crews/current crews.

anyway, i think mine is gone case already... hahha... but the pple there are reali very nice. good experience.[/quote]

i also said MAN LIAN! haha!! My dad was laughing like crazy (he's a nice man, seldom laugh at my follies) when i told him that... :oops:

well, i'm not really waiting for any call, if they call it will be a pleasant surprise, if not, then it's my own fault for speaking in poor mandarin. =x

Gwennie

Post by Gwennie » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:32 am

I think Man-Lian is Manchester united, the soccer team. I juz translated my lasagne to 'yi da li lasagne'.

Any ex-crew or current crew here?

Flippin

Post by Flippin » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:35 pm

My ex-colleague and i went on 24Mar (hers at 1030am and mine at 5pm) and we were told that if we are successful, we'll hear from them by 9Apr too, not 26Mar, cos the 2nd interview is between 14-16Apr.

I had a different translation passage from my ex-colleague so his tips didn't help. He was given the one on meal choice and mine was electronic devices. Stumbled a little but the interviewer was very nice, encouraging and 'comforting'.

I too think the interview is more than just assessment of mandarin. They talk to you, albeit not very in depth, to see how open and responsive you are. I believe they look at your appearance (not so much if you're good looking as they're not quite into looks, unlike SQ but overall) and 'study' your body language also.

Everyone there was very friendly and tried to make us feel at home. Wonder if the interviewers are crew. Senior crew?

All the best to all!
Live and let live

Gwennie

Post by Gwennie » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 1:57 pm

I'm sure the interviewers are BA crews. The way they read the second passage to us are so professional.

pink petals
Regular
Regular

Post by pink petals » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 3:25 pm

whitepetals wrote:haha, so pink petals, did u managed to translate Copenhagen? and brown? you couldn't possibly have said "褐色“ right? by the way, the lady that interviewed me had big eyes and short hair... guess the interviews all had a few passages/translations each...

heee.. i said captain brown in english cos i think it will be funny if i say HE SE JI ZHANG and copenhagen i just said KE BEN GEN... hahaha... i think the lady must be laughing like mad inside her.. :wink:

ya, i am sure the chinese teachers will ace the interviews cos their language is good.

really hope we all can get the calls soon.. duno how many people attend the 2 days of interviews and how many people they want to select for teh 2nd round..

i heard from my friend that her ex-colleague told her BA took in all ex-crews at their recruitment 2 or 3yrs ago..
if that's truth, think i gone case liao.. cos i don't have any exp as a crew. :?

lets pray and hope they will call us soon. :)