Singapore Expats

British Airways Recruitment

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
exclusivepink

Post by exclusivepink » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 5:51 pm

huh wrote:
exclusivepink wrote:so the 1st round is only testing your reading? sounds easy here... but i'm sure i'll be nerves-breaking tmr! keke...
To me the chinese passage reading is abit hard but my chinese lousy so I think for most of you all you can make it, if i can read most of them. haha. :D
hmmm, the chinese passage is like an annoucement which the FA reads on board?

and the translation... it's also those kinda announcement passage?

btw, do the girls who went dress till very formal? cos i'm thinking of what to wear tmr... :wink:

huh

Re: I'm confused....

Post by huh » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 5:53 pm

Wait i'm confused... 1) Passage reading is in what language? 2) Translation is what to what? Paiseh being bit paranoid here, cos I tot passage reading was english!!!! My chinese suck big time le. :???:[/quote]

I wish is english. 1) passage reading in chinese. 2) translate english to chinese verbally.
Not sure if there are more. hope someone can tell me that theirs is also the same , just this 2 only. If not i really HUH . . . . . .
*Positiving*

huh

Post by huh » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 5:57 pm

hmmm, the chinese passage is like an annoucement which the FA reads on board?

and the translation... it's also those kinda announcement passage?

btw, do the girls who went dress till very formal? cos i'm thinking of what to wear tmr... :wink:[/quote]

The chinese passage is like a normal exam chinese oral. The translation is she read out an english announcement on board(while i trying to prevent my jaws from dropping) then translate to chinese verbally.
Normal shirt n dress.

exclusivepink

Post by exclusivepink » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 6:04 pm

The chinese passage is like a normal exam chinese oral. The translation is she read out an english announcement on board(while i trying to prevent my jaws from dropping) then translate to chinese verbally.
Normalshirt n dress.
i see... haha, the way u describe urself very farnie...
don't worry too much, i think others' will be similar as yours... :)

huh

Post by huh » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 6:07 pm

exclusivepink wrote:

i see... haha, the way u describe urself very farnie...
don't worry too much, i think others' will be similar as yours... :)
haha.. huh...*positiving*

WING

BA

Post by WING » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 8:55 pm

haven got my pp size pic... interview is tmr... wonder if i can skip it... :???:

reticent_aura

Post by reticent_aura » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:53 pm

mine's over.. getting all jittery and hoping i'll be selected haha`

it's one to one.. and they'll get u to read a chinese passage first. Afterwhich they'll read an english inflight PA to you and u're supposed to take down the notes and translate them into chinese and read it back to them ^^

hope it's useful! And good luck for tomorrow! :-|

Gwennie

Post by Gwennie » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!! Do anyone mind sharing the content of the translations part of the interview?? Do we have to do any self introdutions in chinese??

From what i know, usually the 1st interview is also for the company to 'see' the interviewee's overall appearance such as height, etc. Let
s wish everyone good luck!!!

queencess_ying

Post by queencess_ying » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:57 pm

do they take your height and are very strict on this? anyone seen ppl asked to go becos of height issue? tml is my turn....so so so nervous...

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:13 pm

u must be at least 1.58m... this is an aviation industry standard and its for your safety sake also.

weight wise, i think as long as you're proportionate should be okay already. :)

tmr is my turn as well! haha been trying to read chinese passages... i dont carry much hope, esp for the translation part.

good luck to all those who went and those who are going tmr! :D

Gwennie

Post by Gwennie » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:53 pm

from what i know, the height requirement is for ppl to reach the overhead baggage storage. I think everyone will not take very long for their interview if we are asked to read 2 passage.

reticent_aura

Post by reticent_aura » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:56 am

it'll only take around 20 min. ^^ And yep height and weight is taken. As long as ur weight's proportional. It should be fine. they don't need supermodels like Kingfisher does i guess hee`

Dru
Regular
Regular

Post by Dru » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 7:54 am

Hi Gals..

Anyone in the 3.30pm slot? :D
Life's A Bowl Of Salad...

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:07 am

haha, mine's at 3pm...

good luck everybody! keep us updated! :)

mahalo21

Post by mahalo21 » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:47 am

Hi all,

I had my interview yesterday at the 11am slot. When you are there you will be directed to a room where there are people wearing the uniform which I believe they are existing crew. They are all very friendly and smiley and you will be asked for your passport and cert. Afterwhich, you will then take your height and weight and then wait for your turn for the language test. The whole process is very fast. I was there ard 1050 and finished at 1110.

The language test is really like 'O' Levels Oral! Need to read a passage in Chinese and then she will read out an inflight announcement in English and you are then required to translate into Mandarin. You will however, be allowed to take notes as she reads out.

Although they claim that this is just a language test, however I believe they already start judging you when you enter the room as in your mannerisms etc so do watch out for that.

One thing I must say is, if your Chinese is not good, den you can forget about it.