Singapore Expats

Who remembers Radio Caroline?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Who remembers Radio Caroline?

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 1:00 pm

If you do, you may be surprised to know that the station is still broadcasting and you can hear them on the internet. This weekend is the 44th birthday of the old lady and they've gathered a group of presenters from the 70s on the ship to celebrate.

More details at www.radiocaroline.co.uk.

There's a 'listen live' button (I use their 'Abacast' stream which is excellent) and also an interesting history section.

Oh, and beware of imitations. The above link is the 'real' Radio Caroline, but (ironically) there are a few 'pirate' sites out there claiming to be Caroline.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 7:42 pm

I'm wondering why you make much the same post once a year every year as you have done for the last three years? :shock: :???: :-k

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 8:55 pm

My goodness, I had no idea my posts were being so carefully monitored. Scary.

No particular reason really, except that I thought it might be of interest to other folks from Europe who remember the radio station. They've been getting a lot of emails into the station from listeners in Australia, NZ, etc. so there are obviously quite a few people out there that are interested.

See you next year (maybe) :D

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 23 Mar 2008 5:53 pm

and isnt Mi Amigo connected with radio caroline?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Mar 2008 7:21 pm

I think it's a wannabe as it's a local cached IP address from one of the 3 majors here in Singers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 8:48 pm

Yes, well remembered. Mi Amigo was the name of the ship (well one of them) they used in the 60's and 70's (it sank in 1980 but they got another ship after that). I just picked that handle as I thought it was appropriate.

I'm a Brit living in Singapore, so the detective work above is spot on, although somewhat disconcerting that I'm being monitored so closely by you guys! You're not from the DTI radio division are you? :wink:

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Loops » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:34 am

my mum used to listen to Radio Caroline. I'll tell her that they're still broadcasting - it'll make a change from Radio Merseyside :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:41 pm

Mi Amigo wrote: I'm a Brit living in Singapore, so the detective work above is spot on, although somewhat disconcerting that I'm being monitored so closely by you guys! You're not from the DTI radio division are you? :wink:
You should see what big brother can do! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “General Discussions”