Singapore Expats

License for Motor Scooter

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
lifestyle2045

License for Motor Scooter

Post by lifestyle2045 » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 5:59 pm

Do I have to take the test for an international license here for a motorscooter, vespa,...?

Thanks.
lifestyle

zjules
Regular
Regular

Post by zjules » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 2:32 pm

You need to have a license yes. Do you have a foreign license? How long have you been in SG?

belindahsr

Post by belindahsr » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 4:34 am

yes you do. you have to take a theory test plus a practical test if you do not have a valid riding licence and just a theory test if you have an existing international riding licence if i am not wrong.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 5:57 am

a) You must have a license to ride a Vespa (class 2b).
b) If you are going to convert you must have been licensed to ride in your home country (not an international license).
c) You have to take the test for a Singapore license, not an international license.

Patrick777
Regular
Regular

The Facts

Post by Patrick777 » Fri, 21 Mar 2008 9:23 am

If you had a bike license for 6 months or more in your home country then you can ride for up to a year from point of entry. After 1 year you would need to convert your license by taking a basic theory test .. it takes around 2-3 months to get a test date, so build this into your planning ..

If you haven't got any license it can be a pain to get one .. I've got one but I know plenty of expats who ride without one although .. I hear they are clamping down and getting insurance cover is getting harder etc ..