Singapore Expats

Rights as a British expat

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
wrighty

Rights as a British expat

Post by wrighty » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:49 am

A Finnish friend of mine tells me they are entitled to benefits of home, like healthcare and state pensions, even though they're living in Singapore and paying only Singapore tax. Can anyone tell me what the deal is for British expats in this respect?
Much appreciated.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:35 pm

dude, you get jack for being british!

if you are in the EU such as poland, you get about £150/year child benefit from the polish goverment. BUT for a polish in UK, they can get nearly £1000/year child benefit from the british goverment!!! and the worst thing is, the child is not even in the UK!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 1:55 pm

For that matter, you get jack for being anything other than Singaporean. Somebody has apparently taken up my hobby, fishing. And you swallowed it hook line & sinker!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 5:50 pm

BUT for a polish in UK, they can get nearly £1000/year child benefit from the british goverment!!! and the worst thing is, the child is not even in the UK!
That's only for the first child, if you have a football team, you get as much has David Beckham :lol:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 7:01 pm

Yeh - you only get representation via your Consulate/Embassy, and then only if you hold a valid passport. Check with your home government.

Looks like someone swallowed the bait, unless I'm mistaken!

For example, AUS (Australian) will help out AUS passport holders in matters of "dire emergency". If you lose your credit cards, for example, they will NOT help you. Same goes for EU passport holders, even if you are lucky and have dual-citizenship.

HTH!

jpatokal

Re: Rights as a British expat

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 18 Mar 2008 2:21 am

wrighty wrote:A Finnish friend of mine tells me they are entitled to benefits of home, like healthcare and state pensions, even though they're living in Singapore and paying only Singapore tax.
Your Finnish friend is mostly wrong. Once you move overseas for the long term, either by your own declaration or just by staying outside Finland for over a limit (2-3 years?), you will be kicked out from the social security system and lose all access to health care etc. It's possible to get it back if you move back to Finland, but it's a time-consuming hassle.

As far as pensions, obviously Finnish citizens will get pension money for any previous employment in Finland, but no new money will accumulate while they're overseas and not paying Finnish taxes or making pension contributions.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague