Singapore Expats

Herbs and spices

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
andy_cannon

Herbs and spices

Post by andy_cannon » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 9:04 am

Hi,

I will be moving to Singapore pretty soon and with regards to WHAT we can bring in etc, my other half has a vast collection of herbs and spices for various dishes that she is reluctant to throw away, does anyone know the legalities surrounding this area. It is all going in the crate anyway so space-wise it is not an issue.

cheers
Andy

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 1:08 pm

Guess it would depend on what type of herbs it is. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

andy_cannon

Post by andy_cannon » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 1:23 pm

ha ha.. yeah I guess so eh ?

it is mailnly things like large bags of juniper berries, some ground sumac, saffron etc... stuff that has not been so easy to get hold of.

Australian immigration are very very strict on people coming in, we had fruit taken away flying from Melbourne to Sydney as an example.

I was just wondering if it would be a problem if our kitchens supplies were put in a box to come with us..

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 1:51 pm

Andy - we were in the same position. We found that sealed dried herbs and spices were OK.

A quick look around turned up these:

AQIS - talks about the Free Trade Agreement b/w SIN and AU - there's links to the AQIS site which talks about the import requirements TO SIN:

http://www.fta.gov.au/default.aspx?Fold ... icleID=222

And also look around:
http://www.ava.gov.sg/InformationForTravellers/

...which talks about import requirements.

Juniper berries might be an issue - better double check - there are contact details on the AVA site.

Note also that Mustafas, as well as a number of boutique places, sell a pretty wide variety of these types of things - however we're not experts and haven't done the full shop. Maybe somebody else can enlighten you more.

HTH - P & C

[Edited: Added Mustafas etc.]

andy_cannon

Post by andy_cannon » Wed, 12 Mar 2008 5:52 am

thank you for the response. I shall check out that site

Andy

hiplace1980

Re: Herbs and spices

Post by hiplace1980 » Wed, 08 Aug 2018 11:04 am

I am simply thinking about whether it would be an issue if you supplies high quality, reasonable flavors, spice sets, in a create to company us.