Singapore Expats

Time for a rant

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Time for a rant

Post by Allibert » Mon, 03 Mar 2008 2:51 pm

I usually hate people moaning about Singapore. I've been here for 8 years and in general loveit.

BUT .....

I just went on a pone week trip to Ireland and was so pleasantly surprised to see cars giving way, people not sitting on the outside seats of buses and getting up so thst prenant women can sit down.

All that aside, what really got me was this.

After arriving back and deciding it was time to do some shoppiung and pic up some good old lurpak butter.

Price in Cold Storage 1 day beforw I left $5.55
Price today $7+

I mean nearly 30 % inflation in just over a week?????

WTF ??????

Rant over:D

viv81

Post by viv81 » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 9:46 am

xxx
Last edited by viv81 on Fri, 29 Jul 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Duh

Post by Allibert » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:53 pm

Obviously and am used to it. I simply said it was nice to experience polite people for a change.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Time for a rant

Post by ksl » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:46 pm

Allibert wrote:I usually hate people moaning about Singapore. I've been here for 8 years and in general loveit.

BUT .....

I just went on a pone week trip to Ireland and was so pleasantly surprised to see cars giving way, people not sitting on the outside seats of buses and getting up so thst prenant women can sit down.

All that aside, what really got me was this.

After arriving back and deciding it was time to do some shoppiung and pic up some good old lurpak butter.

Price in Cold Storage 1 day beforw I left $5.55
Price today $7+

I mean nearly 30 % inflation in just over a week?????

WTF ??????

Rant over:D
Crikey! You can still find it cheaper than that, try NTUC..coldstorage is always expensive.

JermD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JermD » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:31 am

Allibert,

On the back of your rant I just wanted to ask (rhetorically), why is is that people crowd near the doors of the MRT to be the first one off, and then rush on to the escalator to then stand on both sides and not move? Regardless of the "stand on the left" signs.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 6:37 pm

JermD wrote:Allibert,

On the back of your rant I just wanted to ask (rhetorically), why is is that people crowd near the doors of the MRT to be the first one off, and then rush on to the escalator to then stand on both sides and not move? Regardless of the "stand on the left" signs.
why is is that people crowd near the doors of the MRT to be the first one off, and then rush on to the escalator to then stand on both sides and not move
That is simple, the majority of Singaporeans are very bad mannered, and do not think of others, in fact, they just do not think at all, one needs to give them a little nudge, and a polite excuse me, if that doesn't sink in...which on some occassions it may not, then you have to gently push them out of the way.

That is the Singaporean way, cut in, shove, and be unpolite, then their are other Singaporeans, with more developed brains, they tend to think more like internationals, and do understand the problems, they call it mindset of the Singaporean, they want first of everything, and also want to keep, everything they have too, only move, for reward lah:lol:

Would you believe many suppliers are ignorant and ill mannered too, but it is in their nature, one cannot expect too much in 40 years of development, I mean how long did it take for the USA to clean up the wild wild west :) Actually it's not all that bad, because it's easier for us new people to adopt their ways! Survival, if your good at rugby and football, you have a head start! :lol:

viv81

Post by viv81 » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:34 am

xxx
Last edited by viv81 on Fri, 29 Jul 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mules
Regular
Regular

Post by mules » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 8:54 pm

I made the 'mistake' in beeping aka horning at another car who failed to give way as i turned at an intersection. In all honesty, I beeped to alert him so he wouldn't hit, but part of me was also annoyed. To cut a long story short, he then followed me, pulling up besides me at lights ranting and raving, demanding I apologise. I refused, fully knowing i had right of way - it was obvious. He continued, so I drove to the nearest police station thinking that would put him off, he got out and continued to demand an apology, giving me every foreigner/female stereotypical accusation under the sun.

I remained calm, but then realising the police station was closed and him becoming more threatening, I ended up apologising and walking away. end of situation, but it eat me up for a week that i had to aplogise to stroke this guys ego to get away. In all the saga, i didn't get his registration details, but proceeded to the police station the next working day to discuss the situation and see what i should do next time. police were very helpful and said this is very common for a female driving on their own, especially a foreigner.

it made me think singapore must be a wound up place if such a simple act of beeping can make people act this way. plus i didn't kowtow - i knew I was right and trying to prevent a collision.

lesson learnt - don't try and apply logic where logic seems to have no place.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 2:55 am

don't try and apply logic where logic seems to have no place.
Exactly! Neutralise at the first opportunity :wink: Some are just born fighters.

Although i wouldn't advise anyone to confront a raving nutter, unless they are trained for it. :wink:

Back on topic Lurpak is still 5.40 in some NTUC shops.