Singapore Expats

Local Banking

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Local Banking

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 9:40 am

Greetings fellow 1o Northers....

We're currently experiencing the pain and agony that is HSBC Premier. There are more than enough spleen vents here about them so I shall not bore you with ours.

Suffice to say, having done some searches here, we'd like some recommendations as to what local banks provide low/zero fee $SGD accounts, free ATM withdrawals, and a DECENT (read good interface, third party payments in Singapore and abroad etc) Internet banking portal.

Any advice (either positive or of the "steer clear of this bunch of muppets" -type) much appreciated and may even earn you your drink of choice!!!

Thanks, C&P

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:05 am

I have both the Premier account and a local UOB account.

The premier account is fine for sending money overseas if you have other accounts in other countries, and the credit cards are great for emergencies but you don't need the account to keep an HSBC credit card anyway. HSBC generally have higher charges and lower interest but in some countries, like SG, where there are restrictions of foreign banking a local option is a must because access to ATM's begin to be a problem.

The UOB has good access to ATM's, a pretty straight forward online banking interface and better access at branches compared to the likes of DBS can be lined up pretty deep. There is a minimum balance required to keep their good chequeing account for free but it's not a huge amount, especially compared to the Premier balance.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:06 am

Nice work, Scooby - thanks for your helpful post! Pete

cks

sierra

Post by cks » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 5:23 pm

Sierra,
Just open a POSB or DBS account will do the trick, their internet banking interface is pretty well done and there are ATMS everywhere if you don't mind queueing a little while because it is too popular in Singapore.

nkn1129

Citibank is my choice

Post by nkn1129 » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 6:12 pm

I have to say that citibank blows away both HSBC and UOB which i use to have. I signedup for both banking and citbank premier miles credit cards. Their online systems i the best IMHO. Also their transfer fee is really reasonable.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 7:20 pm

I have a DBS savings account and its low fees, hassle free (except for needing to bring your passport whenever you want any details about you account from the bank), I have a debit card and NETS card, no fancy gifts (although they did try to give me some free luggage once but what do I need luggage for?) but as a simple bank account its works.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 8:30 am

Hey gang - cheers and thanks - REALLY appreciate your time in responding.

It seems to be a pretty open set of opinions - UOB, POSB, Citi, DBS etc.

Is there anything that makes one of them stand out for you? Frankly, the pain that is HSBC Premier is making me climb walls, pull teeth, gnaw my forearm, and is generally making feel quite sad.

Pete

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 12:24 pm

You should be considering a "local" account meaning that even Citi is American so runs into similar problems as HSBC with regards branch and ATM availability. Foreign banks still face restrictions.

This brings you to UOB, DBS, POSB, OCBC etc.

If you can handle the queues at DBS & POSB then this might be the option. I've not tried them but they must be good....... heck it's like everybody and their dog has an account there judging by some of the queues i've seen. :wink:

rasserie

Post by rasserie » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 2:03 pm

singaporeans grow up accustomed to POSB.

when DBS and POSB merged, there realli is no doubt that DBS/POSB is one of the top choice for singaporeans but not realli the best :)

some go for interest etc etc.

as for me, i prefer DBS and its online internet banking service. plus the fact that dbs atms are plentiful.