Singapore Expats

Teaching English

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Oaks81

Teaching English

Post by Oaks81 » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 6:21 pm

Is there a big demand for British English teachers in Singapore. Anybody have experience in this field?

Thanks

Forex

Post by Forex » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:48 pm

i am seeking English native tutor (US or UK) to help me in my conversational skill. DO drop me a mail at [email protected]

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Teaching English

Post by Forks » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 1:21 pm

Oaks81 wrote:Is there a big demand for British English teachers in Singapore. Anybody have experience in this field?

Thanks
There is work to be had but unless you get into an International School's ESL program your going to be working for the same kinda employers that you may have worked for in other countries, ie long hours,average pay and all the rest of the job, doable but hard if you have a family to support.

Also beware of some employers, read the contract very carefully, if it has a 3 month leaving clause (or longer) its a good indication of what your going to be getting yourself into, also check the bonus scheme, some employers here are very "creative" in holding onto your bonuses and paying them only at the end of your contract, so if you want to leave early you default on the bonus, or classifying the teaching hours only as one thing and the prep as not work, if you get an offer like that, think twice.

andrewcox

Post by andrewcox » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 2:51 pm

removed.
Last edited by andrewcox on Sat, 17 May 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrincessJ

Post by PrincessJ » Thu, 08 May 2008 12:50 am

There is certainly a huge demand for English teachers. Im looking for one here too, LOL. Pls PM me if any expats is keen in early childhood teaching!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 08 May 2008 12:56 am

PrincessJ wrote:There is certainly a huge demand for English teachers. Im looking for one here too, LOL. Pls PM me if any expats is keen in early childhood teaching!
First of all your PM function will not work properly until you have made at least 5 posts (spam control). Secondly please advertise your vacancy in the classifieds section which is free. I have let the post by andrew cox stand as he is merely reply to the OP whereas yours is of a general nature. Thank you for your co-operation.

I have posted this to prevent a sudden surge of job ads which moderators are at pains to prevent, once again than you.

PrincessJ

Post by PrincessJ » Thu, 08 May 2008 1:02 am

Oh, thank u. I will go look at the Classified! :lol:

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Fri, 09 May 2008 8:51 pm

I would love to teach English, is there any certification that would be a must to teach the language ?