Singapore Expats

Housing: verbal offer made (via Agent)..and

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
GranSport

Housing: verbal offer made (via Agent)..and

Post by GranSport » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 9:55 pm

contract (negotiations) finished....well now, I have been offered a better
package from another agent/landlord. what are the implications? again,
nothing signed yet.

thank you in advance
regards
GranSport

Search By

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 7:31 am

is this for the same apt? if it's not the same apt and you haven't signed anything or passed over a check - i don't think you are obligated.

GranSport

Post by GranSport » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 8:27 am

nope, completely different house, different district and different agent...

tx.
GranSport

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:40 am

wouldn't imagine you are under obligation with no written agreement/LOI and offer check. we had 2 apts going at one point (after getting burned on the first round) but told the agent so they could accept another offer and wouldn't wait around for us. even with a signed LOI there is a clause saying if you can't work out the tenancy agreement either party can pull out - so i wouldn't worry about it.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:39 pm

There's plenty cases of Landlords screwing over potential tenants even after cheques have been passed over (but not banked) and their excuse was that since no money was exchanged the deal was complete.

Some landlords were holding cheques for a few days waiting for better offers, and using the cheque itself as a showpiece to get more out of those that followed.

Do as the landlords do.......until the cheque is banked and the TA is signed, you (and the landlord, watch out for that one) can do anything.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 7:47 pm

so much for gentlemen's agreement these days. shake of the hand to seal the deal!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 7:52 pm

Wrong side of the Pacific for that! :P I'm an ole farmboy from wayback!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 8:21 pm

when we got burned on that one apt the landlord had actually BANKED our check. i contacted an attorney just to see what my rights were and she basically said that the landlord was legally bound to our offer - but could make things very difficult once moved in. said better to get screwed now than later when we were in. i was :x but then we found a way better (& cheaper) place, that original unit sat empty and i was :lol: