Singapore Expats

A Caucasian Singaporean?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 5:01 pm

Come to Singapore, live and work here for 5 years and make a decision. It's easy and foolish to say you feel Singaporean, when being a born Fin, living in Sweden.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Post by GordonGekko » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 4:20 am

Superglide: You make one valid point: you should never haste with these kind of things. The rest I can only say I don't agree with. :???: My life, my rules: check out my quotation, and you'll see what I live by. :wink:
You do what you are.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Post by GordonGekko » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 4:23 am

KSL: Close, but no cigar. 8-)
You do what you are.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:35 am

Superglide wrote:Come to Singapore, live and work here for 5 years and make a decision. It's easy and foolish to say you feel Singaporean, when being a born Fin, living in Sweden.
Who are you to restrict or even judge what others can feel? You can only judge yourself by your own feelings, but certainly not others.

I'm sorry but your post reeks of arrogance. :roll:
- Thank God for Darwin -

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ringo100 » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 5:05 pm

Why do you do want to be a Singaporean? I'm not sure you have explained that. Not feeling at home in your own country doesn't really qualify as an answer.

Feeling at home in Singapore and wanting to be a Singaporean are totally different things.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Post by GordonGekko » Fri, 08 Feb 2008 6:47 am

Explaining why could fill a whole book, and even if I'm most flattered by your interest, my main concern lies on a more general level.

Your last comment, I'm sorry to say, only points out the obvious. I don't really understand what lies behind your comment, but it sounds kinda sour. Bad experiences with whiteys? :wink:
You do what you are.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Post by GordonGekko » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 6:40 pm

Oops...my last post should have been addressed to ringo100. Sorry. :oops:
You do what you are.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 1:02 pm

Singapore is full of different people with different prejudices but even with all these differences Singaporeans do worry about hurting other people's feelings and will feel guilty if they do so. So if someone insults you inadvertently, take comfort in their discomfort at causing you discomfort.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 3:58 pm

you're a Fin living in Sweden?

regardless both countries have among the best pension plans and benefits in the world. do you really want to give that up?

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 6:08 pm

huggybear wrote:you're a Fin living in Sweden?

regardless both countries have among the best pension plans and benefits in the world. do you really want to give that up?
Great - you live in a country you don't feel happy with for 30 years for the pension plan. :) One way to live our life, but amazing how so many people living in other countries manage.
- Thank God for Darwin -

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:41 pm

Actually both Finland and Sweden have mystery meat pension plans -- the rich subsidize the poor, and the sum you put in has no guaranteed correlation to the amount you'll get out when you retire. CPF in Singapore at least has the advantage of being transparent in this particular regard: you know exactly how much money you've got saved up.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:36 am

Pension plans are also not what they are made out to be in Europe, although very good, he will still qualify for what he has paid in, at the age of 65.

Because government keep the rest, so they can manipulate your life, until you suffer a cruel and lonely death, with very bad medical services.

The UK system is a disgrace and the whole welfare system scrapped, because the abuse and inefficiencies, also of pensions. Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia is very good.

Guy Fawkes had the right idea on the 5th of November 1605, about Parliament in UK (yes I have said this more than once :wink: )

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Post by GordonGekko » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 4:55 am

Cutie, Jpatokal: You seem to know where I'm coming from wanting to leave. :D
The systems in both countries used to work much better, when you could really count on getting a pension to begin with. :cry: Nowadays, you have to save in order for you to have a pension you can actually live on.

The cold, merciless truth is that we're paying the highest taxes in the world and we don't get a whole lot. :-k
Our demographics is not a beautiful sight, which leads to that ever fewer people have to bear the burdens of the majority. Solidarity is a nice thought, but it usually springs to life from opportunity and wealth, both of which are a rare sight in Sweden today (unless you are politician). :devil:

Singapore has a lot of creative ideas, a hope for brighter tomorrow, and a drive to solve tomorrow's problems. There is no such thing as a perfect country or society, but Singapore's close enough for me. How I wish I was there already! :love:
You do what you are.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Post by GordonGekko » Tue, 19 Feb 2008 6:39 am

Hey guys,
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate all your opinions, even the more critical ones, even if some people have chosen to face me with their opinions on another, unrelated thread. :?
I promise to return with threads related to this field later. :D
You do what you are.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 19 Feb 2008 6:17 pm

GordonGekko wrote:Hey guys,
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate all your opinions, even the more critical ones, even if some people have chosen to face me with their opinions on another, unrelated thread. :?
Guilty, but the forum was so slow and sticky I couldn't get to this thread. I was logged out 5 or 6 times.