Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Dawns

Post by Dawns » Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:59 pm

caryssa,thanks for clarifyin on my behalf.
im v v new here.
:D
DEstiny n Fate.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 2:46 pm

Dawns wrote: Yingying,e kebaya is the stewardess we see in airport wearing one? or??
Yes, the Kebaya is the uniform of the stewardesses in SIA :wink:

yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yingying2888 » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 4:16 pm

yup. 3/4 sleeves, reaching slightly lower than the elbow, and the neck of the kebaya top reaches about a few inches below your collar bone.. the bottom of the kebaya reaches all the way till the ankle. at the skin check, you'll be expected to wear the full uniform and a pair of matching sandals. =)
the world at your doorstep

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by caryssa » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 8:10 pm

dawn, u r welcome...but like what yingying said..someone posted a thead abt tattoo..but as long as ur tattoo can be cover up whn wearing the kebaya, thn u dun have to worry... :D

Sokeai
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sokeai » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 8:35 pm

Abercombie, you know any "rumours" going on regarding the allowances? I heard it is pretty serious % cut :o
Hello there!

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:12 pm

Sokeai wrote:Abercombie, you know any "rumours" going on regarding the allowances? I heard it is pretty serious % cut :o
The cabin crew union is just going thru negotiations regarding their new agreement with the company.

One of the main issues is the LMA (Location Meal Allowance). I don't think that it's been settled yet, but the company would naturally look towards cost cutting while the union would naturally seek to get the best deal for their members.

I don't think it'll be right to discuss industrial issues openly on the forum though. If you have questions, best done through PM.

christineyuki

Post by christineyuki » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:43 pm

i heard from a steward friend that SQ is going to cut around 35% of their allowances

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:07 pm

The newspaper is saying that economy is good and the pay have increase across all the industries. I wonder why there are still people who are now in the risk of getting their pay cut despite their company making BIG profit :???: Things are not so rosy as it seems, prices for ammenities and transport have seen an tremendous increase. From the west to the Airport will cost you around $35 one way during peak hour.... end of the day who is the one making most of the $$$ :evil:

Dawns

Post by Dawns » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:18 pm

caryssa wrote:dawn, u r welcome...but like what yingying said..someone posted a thead abt tattoo..but as long as ur tattoo can be cover up whn wearing the kebaya, thn u dun have to worry... :D
Caryssa,thanks. u n yingying has been a great help. nice girls. ;DD
DEstiny n Fate.

Dawns

Post by Dawns » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:20 pm

yingying2888 wrote:yup. 3/4 sleeves, reaching slightly lower than the elbow, and the neck of the kebaya top reaches about a few inches below your collar bone.. the bottom of the kebaya reaches all the way till the ankle. at the skin check, you'll be expected to wear the full uniform and a pair of matching sandals. =)
Yingying,thanks!!
BTW,is e kebaya v small cut?
i seen e previous pages some girls sae must be quick in chnging. so i wanna knoe hows e size cutting? e kebaya bottom is wearing high-waist or low waist? sorry,so mani questions for you.
DEstiny n Fate.

yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yingying2888 » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:41 pm

Dawns: no worries =) you'll be given a few mins to change cos there's a lot of gals around to try the uniforms. if i dun remember wrongly, sizes range from XS to XL for both tops and bottoms. but at walk ins, usually there will not be enuf uniforms around for you to choose the right size. if you're going for the interview, would advise you to find a gal that is your size, and get the kebaya from her. (gals from the previous grp would have been done changing when its your turn to do the walk and skin check.)

the kebaya bottom is high waisted, really at your waist kind, not hipsters. haha.. =)

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:46 pm

If the skirt is too long you can fold at the waist to shorten it :wink: All Kebaya are tailor made so its quite impossible to find a 100% fitting one during the interview

yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yingying2888 » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:14 am

yup.. thats wat most gals do at the walk in.. and it didnt look very nice.. was lucky to have mine at STC, where i can change and take my own sweet time with iwannafly, that's the good thing about write in application. the bottom should be easy to find if your an average sized gal, S or M shud be okay, cos there's an elastic band. the top is the dfficult one. =)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:22 am

Abercrombie wrote:The newspaper is saying that economy is good and the pay have increase across all the industries. I wonder why there are still people who are now in the risk of getting their pay cut despite their company making BIG profit :???: Things are not so rosy as it seems, prices for ammenities and transport have seen an tremendous increase. From the west to the Airport will cost you around $35 one way during peak hour.... end of the day who is the one making most of the $$$ :evil:
Good to see somebody reads the newspapers and is abreast of things. This is the likely price people will pay in a world of rising energy prices, increased competition from other carriers (especially budget airlnes regionally) and possibly changing attitudes. Just how they use their profits is hard to say or know for sure but no doubt the share holders will feature in them some where.

As you rightly mention transport costs have increased dramatically, especially taxis. You may not know that in London aircrew don't get the luxury of hiring a taxi paid for by their employer. The simple reason is they are way to expensive (e.g Heathrow to Central London around £80 apprx $SGD240) - more to where I live. :x Seeing cabin crew and the occasional pilot in full uniform traveling to work on the tube is nothing unusual.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:57 am

SIA will never never allow their crew to travel on public transport while in their uniform [-X. Hopefully they will increase the transport allowance to offset the hike [-o<