Singapore Expats

where do I get mosquito repellent with high % deet?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
LT123

where do I get mosquito repellent with high % deet?

Post by LT123 » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 6:54 pm

I am going to Vietnam this week and have read that I should bring mosquito repellent with at least 40% deet, and that 50% is preferable... but all I have seen at Guardian and Watsons is 25%. Does anyone know where to get 40 or 50%?
Thank you!

nalong

Post by nalong » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 7:52 pm

Wont you be staying in the hotel or something, if yes you dont really need the repellants

LT123

Post by LT123 » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 7:58 pm

yes, we'll be staying in hotels (and on a junk in Halong Bay, if we can still reserve a spot!)... but we'll be going to the Mekong Delta, Sapa, etc... so from what I have read I thought that repellant was necessary. No?

(thanks for your reply!)

nalong

Post by nalong » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 8:06 pm

Well haven't been to Thailand really but I was thinking there isnt going to be hiking or anything in your trip a repellant might not be much of a use

Or maybe instead of thinking which Singapore-bought repellant is going to be more effective there, you might as well go there and get 1 as they might just be better suited to your needs over there

LT123

Post by LT123 » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 8:22 pm

good idea - maybe I will just buy it there. thanks!

nalong

Post by nalong » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 8:32 pm

You are welcome
Anyway when are you going on the trip, is it a family trip or just between friends?

LT123

Post by LT123 » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 8:38 pm

Leaving on Friday with boyfriend for 9-day vacation in Vietnam... Just moved to Singapore last month and this is our first trip in SE Asia. Very excited about it! (but also don't want to come home with any diseases..thus the search for repellant!)

nalong

Post by nalong » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:51 am

wow cool where you guys from originally?
Came to Singapore for work?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 9:49 am

nalong wrote: Came to Singapore for work?
nalong,

Have you bothered to read the site's URL or name? It's Singapore "Expats". Do you know what "expat" alludes to? Why the devil would anybody come here otherwise? :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LT123

Post by LT123 » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:53 am

we're from the US (New York). he came here for work (marketing consulting) and i came here because he convinced me that we should move here. so far, so good!!

and you?

gerardyap

Mosquito Repellent

Post by gerardyap » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:06 pm

I think the best mosquito repellent would still be the ones selling at army market, Beach Road. Need not have to say whether its effective as the repellent is still used by the arm forces.
MJ Hub
Your Convenient Online Store
www.mjhub.biz

nalong

Post by nalong » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nalong wrote: Came to Singapore for work?
nalong,

Have you bothered to read the site's URL or name? It's Singapore "Expats". Do you know what "expat" alludes to? Why the devil would anybody come here otherwise? :P
I do understand what expat mean so no worries about that.
Just wanted to ask thats all, stir up a chat or something

Anyway I think if you see the tone I have been using in the other threads it is not really hard to guess that I am just a local touring around forums that need not be of my type like this.

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Re: where do I get mosquito repellent with high % deet?

Post by missyqiqi » Tue, 21 Mar 2017 2:45 pm

LT123 wrote:I am going to Vietnam this week and have read that I should bring mosquito repellent with at least 40% deet, and that 50% is preferable... but all I have seen at Guardian and Watsons is 25%. Does anyone know where to get 40 or 50%?
Thank you!
yes, a lot of my friends keep asking to buy non-DEET mosquito repellents but i have been googling and non-DEET mosquito repellents just do not work as well :(
http://seniorcare.com.sg/product/elven- ... rotection/
i used to buy this DEET free mosquito repellent but since stop and stick to good old fashion DEET repellent though.... more effective.

DEET 25% should be sufficient, why would you want a 50% deet? it may be problematic for us humans
can buy online from http://seniorcare.com.sg/product/off-qu ... rotection/
use their coupon for discounts!

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Re: where do I get mosquito repellent with high % deet?

Post by missyqiqi » Wed, 22 Mar 2017 3:55 pm

just curious did anyone tried growing mosquito plants at home? does it really repel mosquitoes with the plant smell?