Singapore Expats

Can EP Holder Start Sole Proprietorship?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
winston_smith

Can EP Holder Start Sole Proprietorship?

Post by winston_smith » Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:02 pm

Hi,

First post. My question: As an EP holder (P1), am I allowed to start a business on the side in Singapore while continuing to work for my employer?

If not, can my wife start such a business as the holder of an Dependant Pass?

Thanks for any advice,
WS

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Can EP Holder Start Sole Proprietorship?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:58 am

winston_smith wrote:Hi,

First post. My question: As an EP holder (P1), am I allowed to start a business on the side in Singapore while continuing to work for my employer?

If not, can my wife start such a business as the holder of an Dependant Pass?

Thanks for any advice,
WS
The short answer to your first question is no.

The second question is possible but difficult.

The long answer is here:
What does a foreigner have to do if he wants to register a business firm in Singapore?

Under the Singapore Immigration Regulations, any foreigner who is not a Singapore permanent resident and wishes to engage in any business, profession, occupation or any form of paid employment in Singapore is required to apply for an Employment Pass.

All applications for Employment Pass should be sent to:

Employment Pass Department (EPD)
Work Pass Division
Ministry of Manpower
18 Havelock Road
Singapore 059764.

For enquiries on the Employment Pass, please call EPD's hotline at
Tel: 6438-5122.

A successful applicant will be issued with an Approval-In-Principle letter to enable him / her to register the business with ACRA.

Upon receipt of the Certificate of Registration from ACRA, the applicant needs to send / fax a copy of the certificate and the Approval-In-Principle letter to the Employment Pass Department for the processing of his / her Employment Pass.

For a successful applicant who is already an existing shareholder / partner of a registered company / business, an In-Principle Approval letter will be issued for the collection of his / her Employment Pass.

Please note that this procedure applies only to foreigners intending to be actively involved in the day-to-day operations of the business and to businesses where no local manager has been appointed yet. Where a local manager has already been appointed, we will process your application in the usual manner.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

winston_smith

Thank for that . . .

Post by winston_smith » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 9:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guessed EPs wouldn't be multi-purposed like that, but had hopes.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Thank for that . . .

Post by ksl » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:42 pm

winston_smith wrote:Thanks for the reply. I guessed EPs wouldn't be multi-purposed like that, but had hopes.
I don't wish too interfere, although i have been told, it is okay for an EP to setup a business, providing it doesn't interfer, with his present employment role. Although the only people to put you straight on this is the authorities, and ask for it in writing, like i should have done!

I can't find anything to back it up and I believe it may even be treated on a case by case scenario! Probably depending on the business plan! But one thing is for sure, the EP holder must not be practically involved in the business.

This would invalidate the EP holders rights of his contract, I cannot remember who informed me of this, it was possibly at the MOM office, but still sponsorship is required in some form or other. If you do enquire please get back with the results!

FastCashh
Regular
Regular

Post by FastCashh » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 3:38 pm

how about engaging a local to run for u?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:00 pm

That's the quickest way to get ripped off.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers