Singapore Expats

iPhone Repair

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
sprite
Chatter
Chatter

iPhone Repair

Post by sprite » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 4:07 pm

Anyone know if its possible to do here?

Saint
Director
Director

Re: iPhone Repair

Post by Saint » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 7:39 pm

sprite wrote:Anyone know if its possible to do here?
What's wrong with it?

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:05 pm

It's bricked after I tried to restore it after the touch screen became unresponsive. I could get calls, but I couldn't make calls, use the iPod, nothing. Now it says I need iTunes 7.5 to interface, but that will brick it again for sure. I need to walk back the firmware to 1.1.1 but I've tried several times and it never works.

Damn, I really loved it too. :cry:

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:45 pm

How are you trying to downgrade from 1.1.3 (guess that's why it's bricked?) to 1.1.1?

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:51 pm

Yes, but I can't interface with iTunes. It says I have to be using 7.5. I know 7.5 will brick it as well, which is why I de-installed it and went back to 7.4. I never said I wanted to upgrade, only restore.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:58 pm

Did you hold down the shift key when selecting restore in iTunes?

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 9:13 pm

You mean when I tried to restore it this afternoon, before all this nonsense started? No, I didn't know I should. I never heard of that.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 9:19 pm

I used this company to unlock my iphone

http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/index.php

"If you click 'Update' or 'Restore' in iTunes without holding down the modifier keys (i.e. Shift - PC, or Alt on a Mac) then you will update to 1.1.3 which you don't want to do."

Downgrade 1.1.3 to 1.1.1

Connect your iPhone which you accidentally upgraded to 1.1.3 and let it show up in iTunes and finish syncing and make sure you've logged into the home screen.
Hold down POWER and HOME until the iPod disappears from the source list.
When the iPod disappears from the source list, you can let go of the POWER button but, KEEP holding the HOME button until the iPod pops back into the list in recovery mode.
hen you can go about your normal downgrade routine by holding down the OPTION key while clicking the "Restore" button and choose the 1.1.1 firmware. (Edit: for PC Users, hold down the SHIFT key while clicking Restore)

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 9:28 pm

Saint wrote:I used this company to unlock my iphone

http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/index.php

"If you click 'Update' or 'Restore' in iTunes without holding down the modifier keys (i.e. Shift - PC, or Alt on a Mac) then you will update to 1.1.3 which you don't want to do."

Downgrade 1.1.3 to 1.1.1

Connect your iPhone which you accidentally upgraded to 1.1.3 and let it show up in iTunes and finish syncing and make sure you've logged into the home screen.
Hold down POWER and HOME until the iPod disappears from the source list.
When the iPod disappears from the source list, you can let go of the POWER button but, KEEP holding the HOME button until the iPod pops back into the list in recovery mode.
hen you can go about your normal downgrade routine by holding down the OPTION key while clicking the "Restore" button and choose the 1.1.1 firmware. (Edit: for PC Users, hold down the SHIFT key while clicking Restore)
Thanks for this, but it won't show up in iTunes because it says my version of iTunes is too old and that I need 7.5. What iTunes are you using, do you think I should upgrade and try from there?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 9:31 pm

I'm using 7.5 and it works fine

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 9:35 pm

OK, I'll upgrade and see what happens, thanks! The upgrade is to 7.6 -- makes me a bit nervous.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 9:43 pm

No go: "The SIM card inserted into this phone does not appear to be supported." :cry:

I've tried holding down the home/power buttons in the correct sequence. Nothing.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:14 pm

"Make sure the phone is disconnected and turn the phone off by holding the sleep key on the top of the phone for around 3 seconds. A red slider will appear asking you to slide to turn the phone off.

Now hold down the home key (on the front of the iPhone) and plug the iPhone into the computer, keep holding down the home key for about 20 seconds.

iTunes should start automatically and tell you there is an iPhone in restore mode. "

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 8:58 am

I can get to the point where the phone is recognized by iTunes and that it needs to be restored, but when I do Option + Restore and choose the old version 1.1.1 file, which I downloaded and renamed per instructions from iPhone Atlas, I get small window saying 'extracting software' with a status bar. It goes to 100% then says, 'operation failed due to unknown error (1)'

My trouble is I don't know which version of iPhone I should be loading, and it's hard to be completely clear which version I have. Also, the website you used, even a few days/weeks/months ago could be out of date. My IMEI starts with 0113.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 5:24 pm

I'm guessing you're using a Singapore SIM card so it would have been running on 1.1.1

Are you connecting via a USB Hub? If so, connect it directly into the PC's USB port and also don't use the cradle.