Singapore Expats

STUDY SHORT COURSE IN EUROPE? -A SKILL UPGRADE

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
cleopatrikke

STUDY SHORT COURSE IN EUROPE? -A SKILL UPGRADE

Post by cleopatrikke » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 1:19 am

Hi

I would like to find out if anyone here has done short course in Europe.

I am planning to have my skills upgraded. :) The particular country I would like to go to is Germany. I am thinking about taking up something like 6-9 months course in there. Not sure though if it's offered to foreigners and if they will grant student visa for such study.

Maybe someone here could lead me on how to go through about doing it?

Many many thanks in advance for your input. :)

Cheers!
Don't hope. Do something!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 1:26 am

Not enough information, what are your skills you wish to upgrade?

cleopatrikke

Post by cleopatrikke » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 2:38 am

^Hi,

I have always been in Marketing/Sales field.

Short courses I have in mind would be the following
-Project Management
-Brand Mgmt. Marketing
-Sales related short courses
and the likes..

Though I am pretty much open to learn new things even it's not very much in line to my career path. I think a certification/new knowledge would always be a good thing and eventually would come handy I suppose.

Got any input Plavt?

Thanks!:)

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 3:14 am

why germany? sprechen sie deutsch? if not, you gonna have a hard time in germany.

most country in europe, you can get a student visa for any valid/approved course. if you want to "upgrade" your qualification, i suggest you look for a course that is or will be recognised in singapore or worldwide.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 3:48 am

I agree with durain, you would probably have a hard time in Germany since it is possibly the most competitive country in Europe and I believe high living costs. Don't think in terms of the country, concentrate more on the qualification and what it's worth.

cleopatrikke

Post by cleopatrikke » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 1:45 pm

To everybody:

What do you think would be the short course with global worth and why?

Durain, Plavt thanks.

Why Germany?

Because my bf is also studying there, he's a german national and because like as Plavt mentioned, it's a competitive country. Yet my idea is that that they are better in technology rather than business courses.

I can understand a little bit of German and I intend to enroll for language pretty soon.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 2:00 pm

cleopatrikke wrote: What do you think would be the short course with global worth and why?
Maybe you would be better placed in taking an English Course. What exactly are you trying to say in the above question as it is written?

If that is the type of message you will use in marketing I don't think you are going to get very far, be it in English or German.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cleopatrikke

Post by cleopatrikke » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 2:24 pm

^Would you have any input and would it be clearer for you if explain to you that I am asking for ideas about any short courses that is normally well accepted in most countries worldwide?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 6:50 pm

if your bf is german, shouldnt he be the one with a better answer? even if it's not from him, i am sure he can find out from his friends or family in germany.

as i said before, it would be a very steep mountain to climb if you are going to germany to live or study. language is the biggest barrier.

i think the important thing is getting a course that will help you in your career, and not doing a course for the sake of it so that you can be with your bf!

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 6:55 pm

I'd go for it. How can it be a bad thing? Think of the experience you'll gain outside the classroom as well. Sounds great -- if you have the means and the time. I'm sure you can find a course in English at an American or British University and get some kind of student visa.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: STUDY SHORT COURSE IN EUROPE? -A SKILL UPGRADE

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 7:06 pm

If your first reason to go to Germany is your boyfriend, I’m not sure if you realise that Germany is not Singapore, it’s a large country with long distances. So look what’s available close by or rather in the same city.

Considering the size of Germany I would say that all kinds of trainings would be available. But if your German is not fluent enough, that might and will limit the offerings, day to day survival in German and being able to do studies in German are quite different things.

Your original question is far too wide. What level of studies are you planning, do you wish to do a degree of some kind? That can be possible in 9 months. Some trainings have background and experience requirements, do you have a Bachelors degree?
What’s your budget? Can you afford private schools, which are usually happy to take wealthy overseas students.

Use your own imagination what would you like to study; anyway the easiest thing is to go and visit Goethe institute in Singapore and ask from there what they can recommend. They would probably be able to explain what short term options are available and where you could apply for grants or study loans if you need. Of course you can also search via google if you know what you are looking for.

PS. Plavt compared to UK Germany is not expensive (hardly any country is :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 1:17 am

Quite a few Countries cater for International Students, these days, lessons are normally in English,

I haven't searched this link, you can do it yourself

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/tes ... rmany.html

Although you need to do your own home work, to get some experience!

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:23 pm

I believe one of the attractions of Germany is that many University courses attract no fees.

Learn German - why not! I did, it can only help.
- Thank God for Darwin -

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 5:11 pm

Plavt wrote:I agree with durain, you would probably have a hard time in Germany since it is possibly the most competitive country in Europe and I believe high living costs. Don't think in terms of the country, concentrate more on the qualification and what it's worth.
In fact the costs of living in Germany are relatively low, compared to UK and the Netherlands for example.

Competitive? Please elaborate?

As for the short course, if you are in marketing, you'd ought to know the best thing to do is getting your masters degree in business economics / marketing.

If in Germany, I would suggest to go either to Cologne, Frankfurt ot Berlin.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

cleopatrikke

Post by cleopatrikke » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks! thanks everyone. I believe I can pull it off. Now I'm learning deutsch for a start. :D