Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:23 pm

Valentin wrote:Can anyone tell me abit more about the daily routine of a cabin crew? When we start flying, i mean like how we would know our schedules. Also, do we pay for our accomodation & what's the accomodation like? Do we share rooms? Jus would like to know more about a typical lifestyle and routine of a cabin crew. Pls comment.

Thanks.... :o
Wow it surprises me too that you actually when for the interview without knowing so much things. May I ask what is the reason for you to join the
Airline?? Maybe you don't mind wasting your time to go interview first then find out more about the job when you pass it, luckily for you, you got the offer. But I would say 95% of the other people will find out the pay, working condition, welfare etc first before applying for the job. Your question is actually a very common one here, its just that it had always been ask by people who wanted to apply for the job and wanted to find out more before applying. You are different, as you do it the other way round, you got the offer 1st then starts thinking about the job, that does not reflect very well on your intention of getting the job. As the people here are all very passionate about becoming a Flight Attendant in SIA, please bare with the comments being made here at really surprises and shock many here.

For the benifits of the rest of the members here I will try to answer your questions.

1) Roster is usually being release 1-2 months before hand so you can "plan your life around it".

2)Hotels are provided by the company when you layover in out station.

3)The best hotel, usually 5 stars, around the city is being provided. (Subjected to changes as cost cutting is the in-thing nowaday, good things never last and bad things never ends)

4)You do not share room, everyone have their own room.

5) Life oversea is very different for every individual, basically you do whatever you want but nothing illegal.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:29 pm

sqhopeful wrote:
Valentin wrote:Chanyl i don't mean to be rude but i must say you sound agressive. I'm glad that you believe in doing your "researches" but you don't seem to understand my quiries. My quiries is NOT regrding the job scope but rather the unwritten things which one would experience in being a cabin crew. I don't have any friends who are currently a cabin crew & hence i turned to this forum for my quiries.

No offence, but if your "research" theory was really that good, then i dun think this forum would have so many pages thus far. I guess we here to see if we can help one another in terms of quiries and moral support. Pls do not reply to quiries that make you speechless in future.

I dun mean to offend and thanks for your reply.
hello Valentin,

i believe your queries are answered in other threads in this forum, perhaps you can try to use the search function? i think Chanyl, and perhaps the other girls in this forum (including myself) all read the 100+++ pages extensively and searched the forums whereas it felt like you were looking for the easy way out by asking. no wrongs or rights using the shortcut except that the few of us who put in the effort will feel that you should put in some work too. no hard feelings ya?

nonetheless, to answer part of your queries, i believe that for Singaporeans, we do not get accommodations in Singapore but of course you'll be accommodated when you have layovers in the country you're flying to; for that i heard it may be twin sharing or individual depending.

you can check out these few threads:
The reality of being an SQ gal:
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... +crew+life

Life after flights:

Speaking from experience:

hths!
You will be provided each with an individual room. Only on your SYN you have to share room, after that its only depending on YOU, whether you want to share room or not. If we do get to fly together [-o< then we can discuss this, I sure don't mind sharing room :P

chanyl

Post by chanyl » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:31 pm

Valentin wrote:Chanyl i don't mean to be rude but i must say you sound agressive. I'm glad that you believe in doing your "researches" but you don't seem to understand my quiries. My quiries is NOT regrding the job scope but rather the unwritten things which one would experience in being a cabin crew. I don't have any friends who are currently a cabin crew & hence i turned to this forum for my quiries.

No offence, but if your "research" theory was really that good, then i dun think this forum would have so many pages thus far. I guess we here to see if we can help one another in terms of quiries and moral support. Pls do not reply to quiries that make you speechless in future.

Hi Valentin,
I'm sorry if i offended you. I do agree that i was being a bit harsh.
But i'm coming from a point of those people who tried so hard to do everything they could and still trying their very best. Thinking about these people, i feel the heartache for them.
Having said that, i was one of these people before, therefore i felt a bit agitated when u're taking the easy way out. I didn't mean to make this helpful forum into a bicker market..

Anyway, a word of advise, if u're passionate about be a cabin crew to provide good service and seeing the world, u dun even need to hesitate so much. But on the other hand, seems to me like u're not sure of what u want, and joining SQ will definitely be a regret. Becos by the time u find out u dun like it, it'll be too late, cos u've already signed the bond...

The only thing that keep the people from staying on, is the passion that they have for the position, for those who doesn't have it, it's a very difficult environment to stay on, i can assure u...

So good luck in ur decision...
~ I Believe I Can FLY~

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 7:39 pm

Good luck to all who're going for the interview on the 27th Jan..

Regarding the height requirement, it's stated 158cm MEANS it has to be 158cm..
Soaring above all

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 7:49 pm

Chanyl wrote:

Hi Valentin,
I'm sorry if i offended you. I do agree that i was being a bit harsh.
But i'm coming from a point of those people who tried so hard to do everything they could and still trying their very best. Thinking about these people, i feel the heartache for them.
Having said that, i was one of these people before, therefore i felt a bit agitated when u're taking the easy way out. I didn't mean to make this helpful forum into a bicker market..

Anyway, a word of advise, if u're passionate about be a cabin crew to provide good service and seeing the world, u dun even need to hesitate so much. But on the other hand, seems to me like u're not sure of what u want, and joining SQ will definitely be a regret. Becos by the time u find out u dun like it, it'll be too late, cos u've already signed the bond...

The only thing that keep the people from staying on, is the passion that they have for the position, for those who doesn't have it, it's a very difficult environment to stay on, i can assure u...

So good luck in ur decision...
Hi Valentin,

I do agree with Chanyl.. Many people really tried so hard in doing their "research" and "homework" preparing for the interview. I believe that only if you were to put in your effort to get what you want den you will earn it.. She may sound a bit harsh coz many info and qns has been repeated over and over again.

If small thing like these cant be done den maybe you wanna think what makes a role of a cabin crew?? As a cabin crew, a lot of things, you have to take your initiative to do it. And not just wait for someone to come and tell you. It's the right attitude that you must have, alright?

Regarding your questions, if you are prepared to be part of SIA as cabin crew den why hesitate?? When you start to fly, you will know what it's like.
Soaring above all

Sokeai
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sokeai » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 8:11 pm

yingying2888 wrote:
rainschocolate wrote:to all starting trainig tomoro (xanngac, okieping, etc)

JIAYOU JIAYOU!!

have fun at STC!!

i'll open doors for u all. haha
raine,

me n sokeai will open doors for you.

"jiao kor" us ah.. haha..
/me & Yingying practise opening door *hahaha*
Hello there!

Sokeai
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sokeai » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 8:15 pm

Valentin wrote:sghopeful thanks for the links. :wink:
Hello Valentin, if you have spare time perhaps you can try reading from page 790 onwards. I think that is the latest posts that we have contributed for the 27th Dec write-in interview. Maybe you would be able to find anything useful :)
Hello there!

RoyWu22

Erm regarding this sunday interview....

Post by RoyWu22 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:19 pm

Hi, i'm new to this forum, erm wat i wan to knw is i'm a guy, and for this sunday walk-in, must i wear formal or i can wear casual for the walk in?

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:23 pm

Sokeai wrote:
Valentin wrote:sghopeful thanks for the links. :wink:
Hello Valentin, if you have spare time perhaps you can try reading from page 790 onwards. I think that is the latest posts that we have contributed for the 27th Dec write-in interview. Maybe you would be able to find anything useful :)
Tried adding you, but cannot leh?? :roll:

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Erm regarding this sunday interview....

Post by hafiz_ » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:25 pm

RoyWu22 wrote:Hi, i'm new to this forum, erm wat i wan to knw is i'm a guy, and for this sunday walk-in, must i wear formal or i can wear casual for the walk in?
formal would be preferable. a tie would be good too. :)

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hafiz_ » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:43 pm

Expats' gathering
Date: 2nd/3rd Feb*
Event: Dinner/Karaoke/Dinner and Karaoke.*
Venue: Yet to confirm.
* Please delete your selection accordingly.

1) Abercrombie
2) okieping
3) rainschocolate
4) yingying2888
5) Sokeai
6) zetpeh
7) hafiz_
8) sheepish Dinner only
9) jlkm2005
10) iwannefly
11) xanngac
12) aliciagloria
13) rx_aelix perhaps dinner only
14) zandlelightz ,Dinner only
15) Destinee
16) Hikari82

so what's the plan ah? haha. since xanngac cant make it on the 2nd and the rest are okay with either days, shall we do it on the 3rd? hmm...

serray

Post by serray » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:05 pm

hihi... will we be wearing our own shoes or will we be asked to wear the slippers during the kebaya fitting round?

i'm asking because a few of my toenails came off because of running. argh~ yucks!! so if they'll b checking the feet, i'll definitely have to stick some fake nails on it. abit yucks lah cos i'll b sticking it on the raw nailbed. :lol:

please give me some advice okie?? thanks thanks thanks!!!

27th~ nervous! haha

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular

Post by akiheartfelt » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:13 pm

serray wrote:hihi... will we be wearing our own shoes or will we be asked to wear the slippers during the kebaya fitting round?

i'm asking because a few of my toenails came off because of running. argh~ yucks!! so if they'll b checking the feet, i'll definitely have to stick some fake nails on it. abit yucks lah cos i'll b sticking it on the raw nailbed. :lol:

27th~ nervous! haha
i do hope they won't check the feet area cos i have more spots there haha...

btw i came across this site which some of you might be interested to take a look at

http://www.uniformfreak.com/

Set up by a steward who has a freaky hobby of collecting cabin crew uniforms hahaha...

rainschocolate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rainschocolate » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:28 pm

serray wrote:hihi... will we be wearing our own shoes or will we be asked to wear the slippers during the kebaya fitting round?

27th~ nervous! haha

u'll have to wear the kebaya slippers. many sizes there for u to choose from.
they don't really check your feet co mostly its covered up by the kebaya. of coz your feet can't look scarily hiddeous tat it will catch their attention la. lol

abt the height thing. the 27thDEC write-in. there was this girl in my grp. took height. i think it was 157. the lady didn't even ask her to reach for the 212cm line on the wall. and ask her to go back to the queue. she was allowed to proceed to 1st round, but never passed it. so i guess they DID indicate on the form for the next round interviewee to consider.

ANYWAY. i need HELP!! coz i just received my agreement letter.
do i really sign on EVERY SINGLE PAGE on both the acceptance and regulations? Thanks!
the world at your doorstep.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:46 pm

rainschocolate wrote:

27th~ nervous! haha

u'll have to wear the kebaya slippers. many sizes there for u to choose from.
they don't really check your feet co mostly its covered up by the kebaya. of coz your feet can't look scarily hiddeous tat it will catch their attention la. lol

abt the height thing. the 27thDEC write-in. there was this girl in my grp. took height. i think it was 157. the lady didn't even ask her to reach for the 212cm line on the wall. and ask her to go back to the queue. she was allowed to proceed to 1st round, but never passed it. so i guess they DID indicate on the form for the next round interviewee to consider.

ANYWAY. i need HELP!! coz i just received my agreement letter.
do i really sign on EVERY SINGLE PAGE on both the acceptance and regulations? Thanks!
If I am not wrong you will have to sign on every page to indicate that you have receive and read through it. Also to ensure that no 'additional' items is being added to your exiting contract without informing you