Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 1:24 pm

Sokeai wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:
Sokeai wrote: Hehe no problem, glad that you all enjoy the day ;p No need lose weight, after 4mth of hectic training will slim down already, need to do name tag too right?
Aiyo I already told you before right..... if you keep changing your uniform size then you have to keep going back for alteration very "ma fun de" worst if you started flying liao you can't say alter then alter de need approval one. :P
Wah, once it is made den cannot keep changing liao?
Alteration cost $$$ my dear :console: so what do you think??
From the first time you tailor your uniform there is usually 3 fittings, there are some who will need 4 fitting before its done as their body is like balloon....inches keep going up and down :P Once you collected your uniform thats it any more alteration will have to need approval liao

Sokeai
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sokeai » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 2:16 pm

Abercrombie wrote:Alteration cost $$$ my dear :console: so what do you think??
From the first time you tailor your uniform there is usually 3 fittings, there are some who will need 4 fitting before its done as their body is like balloon....inches keep going up and down :P Once you collected your uniform thats it any more alteration will have to need approval liao
Ahaha paisei i think miscommunication, was refering to the fittings etc. Blur lol! :oops:
Hello there!

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 2:35 pm

Sokeai wrote:
Ahaha paisei i think miscommunication, was refering to the fittings etc. Blur lol! :oops:
Oh if thats the question, You can keep altering if you can tahan the black faces of the tailor :evil: You can do it until you sign the paper to collect it deeming the uniform as done up to your satisfaction. You will have to accept it before your 1st flight as you need something to wear :P. If you keep ballooning then the tailor might not be able to finish your uniform in time due to the large volume of uniforms to be made, especially now as there is so many recruitments going on. You might only have 1 set of uniform ready for your 1st few weeks of flying :P

Sokeai
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sokeai » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 2:56 pm

Abercrombie wrote:Oh if thats the question, You can keep altering if you can tahan the black faces of the tailor :evil: You can do it until you sign the paper to collect it deeming the uniform as done up to your satisfaction. You will have to accept it before your 1st flight as you need something to wear :P. If you keep ballooning then the tailor might not be able to finish your uniform in time due to the large volume of uniforms to be made, especially now as there is so many recruitments going on. You might only have 1 set of uniform ready for your 1st few weeks of flying :P
Lol, i bet the tailor sure is a black face guy/lady :P I'm so looking forward to that day >.<

Thanks so much for the info Abercombie :lol:
Hello there!

xanngac
Chatter
Chatter

Post by xanngac » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 2:58 pm

Abercrombie wrote:
Sokeai wrote:
Oh if thats the question, You can keep altering if you can tahan the black faces of the tailor :evil: You can do it until you sign the paper to collect it deeming the uniform as done up to your satisfaction. You will have to accept it before your 1st flight as you need something to wear :P. If you keep ballooning then the tailor might not be able to finish your uniform in time due to the large volume of uniforms to be made, especially now as there is so many recruitments going on. You might only have 1 set of uniform ready for your 1st few weeks of flying :P
Aiyah not all the tailor so grouchy one right, at least the one that we went to, the two tailors very nice kept chatting with us haha. Anyways the tailors also say they have a lot of orders, must be because of the recruitments. But because SIA set a deadline for them that's why they have to rush our 1st uniform out.

As for the remaining 3 sets will be later after the 1st set's measurements has been approved by our trainer.

Better lose now, if not later u lose after the fitting, alteration must wait and still must pay?? Lugi ah... :?
And so my journey begins... :)

msfifi

Post by msfifi » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 3:07 pm

angietyj wrote:
msfifi wrote:i'm going for the interview on the 27th! i've failed the kebaya round thrice. i'm on the chubby side and i stand at 1.58m AND i have crooked teeth but i'm crossing my fingers and hoping the interviewers are super lenient or blind or they really like me. haha

i think the trick to pass round 1 is to have eye contact, sound cheerful and SMILE. It works for me! (:
hello! can i ask wht's yr weight and height? chubby to wht extend? :)
i'm 1.58m and weigh 48kg! my cheeks are chubby.. damn you baby fats!

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 3:17 pm

Hi Frens! Jus wanna ask? Pls give me your honest opinions. I've got a confirmation call from SIA and now awaiting to sign contract. I am happy but i have some doubts before signing the contract...though. Ok...

i was told that a cabin crews pay is around $3500 but not fixed...so whats an average cabin crew pay like? The basic is $1200, and the rest are allowances... How much does one need to spend due to travelling and how much( reasonable) money can be given to family and saved?

It doesn't make sense if i get to earn around $3500 but i'm in a situation of compulsory expenses..

Dear Frens pls advise. Thanks in advance.

maddy_licious

Post by maddy_licious » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 3:40 pm

Abercrombie wrote:
maddy_licious wrote:
Sokeai wrote: Oh, hehe nvm i'll get to see you on the coming gathering!
hehe. still not sure if i can make it on that day. but even if go also for dinner only. i scared i sing till the glass break :D
Come lah, don't worry, if you can sing till the glass break I will pay for all the damages :P
shy la! first time see u den gotta help me pay for the damages le. :oops:

smileygal

Post by smileygal » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 4:27 pm

Valentin wrote:Hi Frens! Jus wanna ask? Pls give me your honest opinions. I've got a confirmation call from SIA and now awaiting to sign contract. I am happy but i have some doubts before signing the contract...though. Ok...

i was told that a cabin crews pay is around $3500 but not fixed...so whats an average cabin crew pay like? The basic is $1200, and the rest are allowances... How much does one need to spend due to travelling and how much( reasonable) money can be given to family and saved?

It doesn't make sense if i get to earn around $3500 but i'm in a situation of compulsory expenses..

The allowances depends on ur roster. if u get better flights, naturally u get better pay.. averagely most of the cabin crew earns about 3.5 to 5k, varying from roster to roster...
u dun have to spend much if u decide to bring cup noodles and lock urself in the hotel rooms, but if u wanna travel around and really see places, then of course u'll spend more.. Plus the fact that many cabin crew tend to go for branded items after getting use to their high salary, thus it really depends on individual...

My bf started flying for less than half a yr and he's been giving around 500sgd to his mum every mth, and he's been saving quite a lot of money already. Whereas my best fren has been flying for 3 yrs and yet to save a single cent(a bit exagerating la).... So it really depends on urself and wat u want from this job....

if u are able to be thrifty and spend on 'necessities' instead of 'wants', u'll be able to save money easily... good luck....

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 4:33 pm

Ok.. if i do go window shopping and eat out a little, how much possible could be left of my pay?

Also, how long do we get to stay overseas and how much time do we get to be at home?

smileygal

Post by smileygal » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 4:42 pm

Valentin wrote:Ok.. if i do go window shopping and eat out a little, how much possible could be left of my pay?

Also, how long do we get to stay overseas and how much time do we get to be at home?
Usually u'll be in sg for less than half the mth.. prb around 10 days at home.. but again, depending on ur roster...
and of course, the lesser u're in sg means that u're getting paid more on ur layover allowances...

and if u're tokking about window shopping and spending only on food, u can easily save up to 2k a month... but it'd be very boring looking and not spending... i couldn't and wouldn't do tat....

usually crew will spend more when they first started flying, cos everything is new to them and they'll have to spend more money exploring places, going on tours, etc... but after a while, they'll get tired of it and stop spending so much on sight-seeing...
but it's advisable to look around during the first few months.. after all, tat's wat the job is all about - see the world.....

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 5:04 pm

I have known crew who save $30000 a year and $1000 a year, so very much is up to you and what kind of lifestyle you want. Set yourself a target on how much to save a month then don't go over budget. Branded stuff are up to you, if you have spare $$ then buy loh, food cannot stingy too much as it will affect your health. I would say that if you can save $20000 a year working on ground and don't enjoy traveling as you want to have more time in SIN then you don't need this job. It will be better to built a career and not flying. After all this job is for people who like to enjoy themselves while oversea to eat, shop, sight seeing, earn $$ so can spend more $$ type. There are also crew who are alway alone oversea as they don't go out of the room, they are the one who can save $30000-$40000 a year. If you are those boring type and can tahan loneliness then its ok. :wink: You can live on S$10-20 a day on food anywhere in this world, so do your own calculation on the expenses as only you yoursely know what kind of lifestyle you want. Hope that helps.

angietyj

Post by angietyj » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 5:05 pm

msfifi wrote:
angietyj wrote:
msfifi wrote:i'm going for the interview on the 27th! i've failed the kebaya round thrice. i'm on the chubby side and i stand at 1.58m AND i have crooked teeth but i'm crossing my fingers and hoping the interviewers are super lenient or blind or they really like me. haha

i think the trick to pass round 1 is to have eye contact, sound cheerful and SMILE. It works for me! (:
hello! can i ask wht's yr weight and height? chubby to wht extend? :)
i'm 1.58m and weigh 48kg! my cheeks are chubby.. damn you baby fats!
gosh! u call tat fat? cheeks onli wad.. alamak! i better squeeze my tummy tight before going in.
LOL!
[/quote]

curi0us

Post by curi0us » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 6:59 pm

Valentin wrote:Hi Frens! Jus wanna ask? Pls give me your honest opinions. I've got a confirmation call from SIA and now awaiting to sign contract. I am happy but i have some doubts before signing the contract...though. Ok...

Hi Valentin, before you make any decision (on whether to sign the contract or not), pls wait till you receives the mail. (Mary will send it by post.)

Details on your allowances, etc. will be stated clearly on the contract. You'll be given approx. 2 weeks' time to consider & acknowledge the contract. If you do not return the contract before the stipulated dateline, the contract will lapse.

You will only be asked to go down to STC to sign the "Bond" After the recruitment office receives your signed contract.

Hope this clears your doubts.

smileygal

Post by smileygal » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 7:08 pm

curi0us wrote:

Hi Valentin, before you make any decision (on whether to sign the contract or not), pls wait till you receives the mail. (Mary will send it by post.)

Details on your allowances, etc. will be stated clearly on the contract. You'll be given approx. 2 weeks' time to consider & acknowledge the contract. If you do not return the contract before the stipulated dateline, the contract will lapse.

You will only be asked to go down to STC to sign the "Bond" After the recruitment office receives your signed contract.

Hope this clears your doubts.
Well, not for everyone though.. I just received the contract and i'm going to sign the bond on monday, so mary ask me to bring the acknowledgement copy with me when i sign the bond on monday....

So valentin gotta think fast wor... *wink*