Singapore Expats

Any Job opportunities for Dependant Pass holders?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Ledz

Any Job opportunities for Dependant Pass holders?

Post by Ledz » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 3:24 pm

hi everyone!
I am a stay at home wifey and have been trying to find job but it seems
nobody wants to hire a dependant pass holder. I am starting to feel frustrated... :( Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 5:49 pm

Caveat: I'm no expert. This is a SWAG.

It seems to me that the problem getting a job on a dependent's pass is as follows. While the MOM website says that all one needs to do to go to work as a dependent is apply for a Letter of Consent from MOM, the catch is that while the criteria for obtaining a work permit, S pass, or P1 or P2 pass is at least outlined on the MOM website, there is absolutely no information about the criteria used to grant a Letter of Consent.

It could be that if you can find a job, you are simply granted the letter once the employer applies. Or, it could be that there are restrictions as to the kind of work you can undertake. For example, maybe MOM doesn't want you to work as a hairdresser since there are about 3 zillion hairdressers already in Singapore, 90 percent of whom are located in the Far East Plaza.

I suspect that potential employers are not familiar with the process and the evaluation criteria. They may not be familiar with their obligations.

I would suggest contacting the American Association of Singapore. It would be worth joining to get valuable information and possible job leads through their Careers Resource Center.

http://www.aasingapore.com/en/cms/?25

Ledz

Post by Ledz » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 7:48 am

well, thank you for the info. I really feel that employers are avoiding the hassle of hiring dependant pass holders. I guess I just have to wait for our PR application... :( Again, reply appreciated! :)

MariaShlds

In the Same

Post by MariaShlds » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 9:57 pm

Hello,

I am also a wife of an expact and have been looking for a job even before I moved here, and I am very frustrated with the process. I recently joined CRCE to see if they can help me find a job sooner than later. Hopefully, or I will have to wait for the PR application as well until I get a job.
Maria

Ledz

Post by Ledz » Wed, 23 Jan 2008 7:52 am

hi maria!
so how long have you been job hunting? it really is frustrating, a relative of my husband once told me that it would be so much easier for me to get a job because Im a dependant pass holder, and now even his wife (dependant pass too) who after quiting her job is now having a hard time finding herself even a part time job. Have you applied for PR? :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jan 2008 1:07 pm

Ledz & MariaShlds,

It is very easy to get a "Letter of Consent" by an employer. The problem is that often the dependents aren't really qualified to do the job that they are applying for. The other problem it that a Letter of Consent is tied to your spouses' EP so having a EP that will be up for renewal in less than a year will probably be seen negatively by a prospective employer. Why go to the hassle only to have the person have to leave due to the EP holder losing their contract.

The link below is to the MOM website where you can also download the application form.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... yment.html

Meanwhile just keep trying.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Gimikki

Post by Gimikki » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 1:10 am

hi all,

well me again sailing in the same boat....want to do something in singapore....some work...part time....but...this dependent thing is killing me....be it US, singapore....y do they do this....

technology is so full time.....and many jobs ask for only PR holders....what vil v do....cant sit idle at home.......let us all start something together then....lol...

any idea....what kinda part time jobs are there...for a comp graduate....

Vanveritte

Post by Vanveritte » Fri, 15 Feb 2008 2:59 pm

Been in those shoes for a year now done some odd jobs here and there but nothing stable. I go through American Association job search adds regularly. It is great resource but usually adds demand ultra high qualification from a job seeker. If you are a housewife or stay at home mom for a while I doubt it will be easy to find a job here. Probably you will need to get extra education. There is no such a thing as "back to work" employers attitude plus there is age limit which does not exist in the West. Even I have my MBA but being over 40 yo and on Dependant Pass makes whole story a bit sour. I've been through e few interviews and as soon as employer sees my DP they are loosing interest.
Probably that is why so many expat wifes starting their own businesses.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 16 Feb 2008 6:14 am

Vanveritte wrote:Been in those shoes for a year now done some odd jobs here and there but nothing stable. I go through American Association job search adds regularly. It is great resource but usually adds demand ultra high qualification from a job seeker. If you are a housewife or stay at home mom for a while I doubt it will be easy to find a job here. Probably you will need to get extra education. There is no such a thing as "back to work" employers attitude plus there is age limit which does not exist in the West. Even I have my MBA but being over 40 yo and on Dependant Pass makes whole story a bit sour. I've been through e few interviews and as soon as employer sees my DP they are loosing interest.
Probably that is why so many expat wifes starting their own businesses.
Freelancing is the only way, just request the LOC and ask hubby's work place to sponsor, then go freelance, that's what they explained to me, when i was already doing freelance work, for Taiwan.

It's a little complexed if one is getting royalties, or reoccurring commissions, they really don't know how to handle it.

because its not covered in there laws. There is nothing to stop anyone doing freelance work, that i know of, while on a dependants pass, that could be mobile hair dressing or sales promoter where limited skills are needed, one is not employed, but self employed, so you charge a little extra, to cover holidays and other government requirements.

For dependants of Employment Pass holders.
http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... asses.html

Dependants refer to the spouse, unmarried or legally adopted children under 21 years of age, of the EP holder. S Pass holders earning a fixed monthly salary of more than $2,500 are also eligible to apply for dependant privileges.

Dependants of Employment Pass holders may take up employment provided they obtain a LOC from MOM. Dependants of S Pass holders cannot apply for a LOC but may apply for a P/Q/S/R work pass, which will be assessed on their own merits.

So if you tell them you have found a job at such & such, and you have decided to charge them a set price, for freelance working, that way the company is not involved in all the bureaucratic red tape:

You are self employed, just make sure you up the hourly price to cover holidays! If the company agrees, you will again have to explain to MOM and they will then look at the situation on a case by case evaluation. What matters is procedures, they are god! Just make sure everything is in writing from MOM and don't take someones word for it.

In fact I may just check it out myself again, because we could do with some freelance workers, I'll be back! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Feb 2008 9:02 am

It's different than in Taiwan. The employer who is employing you must apply for the Letter of Consent. Not the employee. When you leave that employee you lose your LOC till you find another job and another employer to apply for it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vanveritte

Post by Vanveritte » Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:17 pm

There is an easier way to do freelance job! DP holder can register a business and it gives him right to do contract jobs within permitted field. In this case no need to get LOC (as SMS said - only one at a time) and get another one if switch your employment.
Ksl, are you using freelancers for marketing? And SMS was correct saying about LOC here, no way to hold several LOC at the same time.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 16 Feb 2008 4:11 pm

Vanveritte wrote:There is an easier way to do freelance job! DP holder can register a business and it gives him right to do contract jobs within permitted field. In this case no need to get LOC (as SMS said - only one at a time) and get another one if switch your employment.
Ksl, are you using freelancers for marketing? And SMS was correct saying about LOC here, no way to hold several LOC at the same time.
We do use registered freelance promoters yes, through our sales channel, which the sales channel demands we take those promoters, recommended by them.

However there is a good possiblity, for sampling our products, in certain locations, that have heavy traffic, I have been thinking of a pushcart in certain areas to sell drinks, although it takes time to breakeven on push cart sales, because one needs to build a repeat customer base.

Although we are only interested in the first time exposure of our products, becasue that's all it takes, for a consumers to make a buying decision, we are focussed importers, not distrbutors.

Some of the locals have in fact built, there own sales channels and are making a living, selling our products, although we do guide and educate them in the product, sales channel and provide marketing support materials.

We have a couple of areas, where sales also need to be created.

The passion must be there for a self starter really, but it would be suitable for bored housewives, I'll get my wife to have a chat with MOM, about freelancers on dependant passes, doing their own hours.

Yes Taiwan is much easier! Although unemployment is that low here now, that it is also difficult to find the right people, so maybe MOM should look at the situation.

BTW I meant to get the LOC and then just be self employed for the one Company, because then the company wouldn't have to get too involved in holiday pay, and all, the red tape of employing people, all you need is to register with Acra as self employed for tax reasons.

I was told the husband or wifes employer could sign the LOC becuase being a dependant, it would be linked to the husband/wifes EP renewal so I guess this is, why they look at individual case by case applications.

Application

Dependant pass holders

Post by Application » Sun, 17 Feb 2008 6:38 pm

Are spouse of working expats allowed to work in Singapore? Can they take on part-time or freelence job? Can my company hire them to do contract administrative work?
HR

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:44 pm

Yes but you need to apply for a LOC as discussed above in the thread. Did you bother to read the thread?

march

Can hear you!

Post by march » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:07 pm

Hi Ledz,
I went through the same situation as you are going through now.
After we moved here, I spent 6 months looking for a full time descent paid job through friends and recruiting agencies.

During the 6 months, some leads came in from recruiting agencies but none of the employers were willing to pay what I was looking for, so I was frustrated and decided to start my own business instead.

Before we moved out of our conutry, I thought it wouldn't be so easy to find a job that would pay the same amount of salary as I used to get paid back home, so as a back-up plan I took up a course of my interest (still related to my old jobs, i.e. marketing, in some way) that would allow me to work as a freelance consultant in the future.

So I registered my business with ACRA (via online bizfile) and applied for LOC. It took 3 weeks for my LOC to be approved but I found this company through a friend of mine that was interested in hiring me as a freelance consultant. (hassle free for the comapny as they don't need to apply for EP or LOC on behalf of me)

While working as a freelancer, I still continued looking for a full time job and one day a great opportunity popped up. The reason why this company was interested in hiring me was, of course, due to my previous experiences and all, BUT I could feel that they found it more comfortable to hire me because my freelance work proved that I could work in Singapore (better understanding of their business cultures and local knowledge). Then, applying for EP or LOC was not an issue any more.

Ledz, I don't know what industry or type of business you are looking for but I just wanted to share my experience here with you so you'll know what other options or possibilities may be availale for you!

Good luck and keep us posted on any progress if you don't mind!

cheers.