Singapore Expats

Converting lamps brought from the US

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
newtoisland

Converting lamps brought from the US

Post by newtoisland » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 6:35 pm

Hi,

I have a floor lamp and 2 bedside table lamps that I brought from the US. All of them have dimmers. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to convert the lamps and change the dimmer from 110v to 240v here in Singapore? does anyone who have done it before know approximately how much it would cost me?
or is the best way to use a transformer for all 3 lamps?
Thanks!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 8:31 pm

i have used step-down transformer to use US electrical in a 240V enviroment but i'm not sure about using it with a dimmer. one thing about using a step-down transformer is you will get a buzzing sound.

you can get them in places like sim lim. personally, i wont advise it in the long run as the transformer gets very hot and not very energy efficient. your best bet is to buy your lamps/lights in singapore.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 9:46 pm

You should check the voltage requirements of the dimmers. Might be dual voltage. Otherwise, I agree... transformer much bigger hassle than it is worth.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 6:10 am

Take them to Lim's at Holland Village and ask them what to do. They have a lamp section in the back and they make repairs and conversions. Either get there now, before the worst of Chinese New Year, or after the holiday. I'm just wondering -- why did your bring lamps from the US?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 7:49 am

yeah... i was wondering as to why you would want to bring lamps over to singapore. :roll:

they are not for the F1 night race are they? :P

newtoisland

Post by newtoisland » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 3:28 pm

I brought the lamps over from the US because I thought there was a chance I could convert them without too much of a hassle and also since they were quite expensive I didn't want to sell them for 30-40% of the original price.

thanks everyone for your suggestions.