Singapore Expats

Tips for Nepal trip wanted

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
carpediemxing216

Tips for Nepal trip wanted

Post by carpediemxing216 » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 1:50 am

Hi guys and gals,

Anyone has been to Nepal before? My friend and I are considering going there during the lunar new year (perhaps it's a bit late to book the tickets now :( ).

Any tips (on airline, hotel and so on) are greatly appreciated.

remersonh

Post by remersonh » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 3:46 pm

I haven't been, but hints and tips? It's the Himalayas ... in February. It's bound to be a little cold, I would think.

I'll look forward to hearing from someone who has actually been though. I'd love to go also ... sometime when it's a bit warmer.

carpediemxing216

Post by carpediemxing216 » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:07 am

remersonh wrote:I haven't been, but hints and tips? It's the Himalayas ... in February. It's bound to be a little cold, I would think.

I'll look forward to hearing from someone who has actually been though. I'd love to go also ... sometime when it's a bit warmer.
Thanks a lot for ur response, Remersonh! I heard it would be cold in February too. thinking about going there at another time. :) We want to climb to at least the middle of Everest :D

remersonh

Post by remersonh » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 1:54 pm

Hmm. Second camp? Or base camp? I don't think you can get to second camp until August or so ... and you have to spend the two weeks (or however long you need acclimatizing) at base camp. I'm going to settle for lowland trekking if I make it this year.

Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Nepal

Post by Amelia Camelia » Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:17 pm

I went to Nepal in November quite a few years back. It was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. I would definitely recommend lots of research. I didn't do Everest, I did the Lantang and Helambu circuit (16 days but in Nepal for a month).

I'm not sure of the political climate in Kathmandu at the moment but you should look into it. There are lots of tour guides in the capital once you get there you can book with them if you haven't already. It cost us around US$25-30 a day for a guide, accommodation, food and drink.

Make sure you have medical/travel insurance of some sort and really good hiking boots. I was ill when I got to Kathmandu and had to go to a clinic - food poisoning of some kind. Make sure you only drink boiled water, and I avoided meat of any kind. Not that there was any on offer in the mountains. We also experienced altitude sickness and the biggest blisters ever. Despite all of this the adventure still retains my fondest memories. Expect awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping scenery, and kindness among the very poor locals and lots and lots of exercise and fresh air. In the mountains, we stayed in hostels/peoples' homes. There was no electricity and no running water. We brushed our teeth with water from flasks in the open and showered in a hut with the wind whistling through before trekking for 5-6 hours a day.

The famous place to stay in Kathmandu is the Kathmandu Guest House, but I didn't like it. We stayed in Hotel Blue Ocean for $us 10 a day.

I think Nepal is definitely not a trip to be taken lightly.
Good luck
AC

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 3:45 pm

I hiked to Tembuche Monastery a few years ago in November as well, one day's hike short of Everest base camp. The weather was great. About 18 C during the day, around 0 C at night.

We hired a guide and met him in Katmandu and flew from there to Lukla (in itself a life altering experience). I'd start making arrangements now for an October/November trip.

If you are planning on trekking it is very bare bones, food and water are dodgy, maybe cold running water if you are lucky, deplorable sanitary conditions. Sleeping in 'tea houses' which are unheated on bare plywood. Virtually everyone gets sick.

Having said that, I'd go again tomorrow.

carpediemxing216

Thanks a ton for the detailed info!

Post by carpediemxing216 » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:06 am

Hi AC and Sprite,

Many many thanks for the info and suggestions. To be frank, when my friend and I were planning the trip to Nepal, we took it for granted it would just be a normal trekking (of course we knew everest is difficult but we didn't realize the hygienic condition there would be so poor!). As Sprite suggested, we should arrange it as early as possible. On the other hand, these unfavorable things like no running water (or cold water if lucky), no electricity, bad food and so on just makes the trip more desireable and adventurous. If I have ever hesisted before, now I know it's a place I'll definite visit in my life time.

Thanks again and wish u a best 2008!