Singapore Expats

experiences in Bangkok

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

experiences in Bangkok

Post by ffsgrelier » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 1:32 pm

Hi
Am considering taking my family to Bangkok for a long week end to discover another side of Asia. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on child friendly hotels (with adjoining rooms), places to discover and any other info that can be relevant.
My 3 kids will need entertainement in the hotel with our helper while my husband and I discover what the city has to offer.
We are pretty easy going, the boys love sport and outdoor activities .
Thanks for all your replies. Looking to go sometime in february.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 1:42 pm

What price range?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 2:09 pm

I don't really associate Bangkok with a kid-friendly vacation, but if you have your heart set on it -- then why not? Give it a go...

We always stayed at the Oakwood Residences. Nice facilities, three bedrooms, kitchenette, pool, etc... The drawback is that it's not so close to the city center.

http://www.oakwood.com/action/oakwood/p ... pertyId=38

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

bangkok

Post by ffsgrelier » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 8:04 pm

Hi, no idea re price range .
Just looking for something decent in a safe area with the kids, facilities are important as it could be the best part for our kids and we do not nt any hassle and bad surprise on arrival as our youngest is still a baby. Someone at my husband's work recommended the mariott. Any thoughts ?
I am sure that there must be something good for children in Bangkok, surely ?!
Thanks for your input.

PS : also planning a real holiday in bali for the kids and parents alike if anyone has any recommendations. I heard about club med, any other alternative in mind ?

remersonh

Bali

Post by remersonh » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 2:02 pm

I went to Bali and went WAY out on the west coast and loved it. But it's a get-away kind of vacation rather than a go-go activity packed kind of thing. You have to take your own fun with you if you go west.

I agree on the 'kid-friendly' comments regarding Bangkok. I'm not easily shockable -- but Bangkok after dark is NOT kid-friendly ... you'll be fine with all the daytime activities though. Temples, shopping, river boat rides, etc.

I didn't think safety was a concern at all in Bangkok. People might try to scam you, but I doubt anything other than your wallet is in danger.

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Post by luxiana » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 3:29 pm

avoid the Nana area (even though it is central)
you could try an hotel by the River. the view is usually nice and it is pretty "kids friendly" :)
my website: free online game