Singapore Expats

The law being used to silence critics, uniquely Singapore

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 1:13 am

Not at all unique to Singapore!

My personal opinion of Singapore government is one of admiration, considering, that when the PAP was formed back in 1954, by a group of enthusiastic people, they did it for the majority, they took the initiative, to save their people and new place of residence...A bit like the early bird catches the worm!

These people, all of which was eductated in the UK, used their knowledge and skills, to build, something unique, which needs protecting, from radical changes, due to the demographic mix of the population, the majority of which are immigrants...Its only commonsense, that they will be passionate about building a Country for the sake of love and appreciation, rather than destroying it for political gain, One only needs to compare, the USA, and The UK....to get a full picture of political chaos, of which the population will have to pay for.

And to say there is no free speech is not quite true...if one wants to speak, they can go down to speakers corner and voice their opinions at Kreta Ayer, neighbourhood police post... after all, speakers corner Singapore, is far from being unique to Singapore and was an imported idea from the famous Speakers Corner at Hyde Park, London, UK So anyone can go and shout what they want!

Lets face it, Singapore is stable People really do want peace and tranquility, they have deserved it after what they have been through in the past, So I am all for Singapore, although there is still much work to do, her to make it a fair place, to reside, and it will come in time, providing people support the move forward...Racial harmony is of the greatest importance...any disruption, would cause chaos, for everyone.

This is after all a HUB more than it is a new founded Country at this present time, and until the majority of the population, come to terms, with being a passionate Singaporean, and help out with development and positive transition into what the Country survives from....

Of course I do see, and feel some people are bored with Singapore, but that feeling you get in most Countries too, It what you make of it yourself, that Counts....in my opinion, and i know the thread is a little old, but just wanted to say my piece.

I believe one can approach government with ideas, but you cannot force them, and why should they be forced, when a handful of people built something to protect the majority!

Two many Chefs, spoil the broth, in my opinion! :wink: It's better to know your friend, than not know all your enemies...because most politicians will build their future, at your expense, whether, you believe it or not, do i have to repeat myself! Two many cooks spoil the broth! 8-) !

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 3:50 pm

phil30k wrote: I think in Earth's posts he has developed his arguments in a direction Singaporeans don't normally go. Nothing wrong with that, the points and counter points are still an interesting read.

:)
I think it is wrong to stir up trouble just for the sake of it and do not wish SG politics to go down that route. Having only lived in countries without much political upheavals, liittle did I know how critical the quality of a statesman was to the overall well-being of a country, evn a developed and stable one, until I visited Taiwan recently. The thug-like behaviours of President Chen had a rippling effect on the society. From a sluggish economy down to ineffective law enforcement where officers no longer care about the citizenry it is supposed to protect.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:16 pm

earthfriendly wrote:liittle did I know how critical the quality of a statesman was to the overall well-being of a country.
If the future of Singapore hangs on a thread, this would be that tiny strand. We have been blessed with true statesmen in LKY and his peers. Our current PM is ok, got the right thinking from the father.

The biggest risk to our political system is if the next PM was not such a statesman. The laws of Singapore are written in favour of those in charge. For example, a gathering of 5 or more is against the law should the state decide so. This makes any civil protest against an unjust government virtually impossible to organise should it one day become necessary.

I would like to see that law repealed. And the one allowing detention without trial. They had their role in our history during the days of the powerful triads and regional terrorist threats. I'm no historian nor a politician but as a citizen I think the biggest favour the current government, which still has integrity, can do us is to make the political process more transparent and give the people more channels to stand up for ourselves when the need arises.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 1:40 am

That's the inherent risk of such a system, there's little recourse should a tyrant rule. I don't have much opinion on that law but hopefully a balance can be found between the needs of the government and the citizens it serve.

For me, the most critical factor still lies with the kind of men who should serve in the government and the form (democracry, monarchy or communism) just sets the framework. I have no problem with either of these systems so long as the leaders know what they are doing. You can have a benevolent monarch who runs the country effectively but a politiking (?) democratic leader who is mainly interested in internal politics and winning votes and not focusing enough on the issues on hand.

Sorry for bringing up the same country but I am short of example. In Taiwan, there are many citizens who think that the country was a much better place to live in under Chiang's rule. Chiang was not voted into office but succeeded his father as ruler for the country and he was rather strict but benevolent. The country prospered under his rule. Taiwan later adopted democracy and the current President Chen was voted into office for 2 terms. Under his terms, Taiwan deteriorated greatly and there was a sense of pessimism that desended on the population. It was once said that Taiwan would become the next Filippine. A country that was once good but ruined by inept politicians. Our Taiwanese taxi driver said that a full blown democracry might not be the solution for Taiwan.

But of course, we have been trained to think that democracy is the best system for everyone. And we, as a civilization, come to this conclusion based on our experience with the various forms of goverment thus far. And shall I add this is largely viewed from a western perpspective since they are the dominant power for the last few centuries.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 4:33 am

The thug-like behaviours of President Chen had a rippling effect on the society. From a sluggish economy down to ineffective law enforcement where officers no longer care about the citizenry it is supposed to protect.
Just to put things in perspective, I was there when the DPP won over the KMT...I was in the maddening crowd, with my Taiwanese wifes family, it was quite a tense and scary feeling, which reminded me of Northern Ireland, when the troops recieved the orders to disperse the crowds....

It's true, the DPP have screwed up big time, although one must look into the Country and its inhabitants, to understand, what goes on...there are 13 tribal Taiwanese groups, which are now a minority, and back in 1949, when the mainlanders fled...into Taiwan..the, then ruling KMT took the power, Taiwan politics is riddled with corruption, and will be for many many years to come.

Although Chen being Taiwanese and not from the mainland was a fool, he had grudges against the KMT, after all, some say it was them, that put his wife in the wheel chair...Now we are talking hoods and gangsters in Taiwan, they are real and exsist, every where, mostly around the KTV circuits...

At least with the KMT, people knew, they had a stable economy even though the future was uncertain....I love Taiwan, I prefer it much more than Singapore, the people are a live, with creativity and action, not afraid to try anything new!

The mindset is completely different, and they are much more polite, and well mannered, than Singaporeans, and I am not just saying that, because i am married to one...

I feel people here can be very rude, especially suppliers, when talking on the phone, they never say goodbye, they just end the conversation, by putting the telephone down, and suppliers customer care, leaves a great deal to be desired...

I feel quite sure that government policy is responsible for the dampening of spirit here in SIngapore, with all, its false national pride and statistics, it would help to be more transparent in Singapore.

Taiwan wha! Now that's not politics, it's more like gang warfare, battling it out in parliament...I can remember, we was also offered money to vote, at the KMT meeting, when chen won! God how I hate politicians. :roll:

Taiwan will survive, they have talent and they are not afraid to try new things...education is much better than Singapore, in fact only last month Taiwan came first in maths, in the world competition, between schools, and their Chinese is far superior, being the only true Chinese language left on the planet, another great disappearing act of the mainland government, apparently to hide the history away from, the majority of the population...Sad to see such a wonderful language get chopped up, a little like Singlish la, with those simplified characters!