Singapore Expats

personal trainer

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:31 pm

Some time ago in Shape Magazine,i saw Laila White ,a mum of 2 with killer abs and body .She has a gym I think in Orchard Hotel. I just e-mailed her ,very expensive rates like 30 mins-$85 something like that.

However, her client list includes Royalties as well..If you are interested I will forward you her profile ..you may take a look :) but for me ..forget it lah ..so exp !!
Always have a smile on that face!

sing07

PT

Post by sing07 » Fri, 28 Dec 2007 2:32 pm

You can also try Google search " Singapore personal trainers" some ideas from there come up.

theodoros

wife personal trainer west coast area

Post by theodoros » Sun, 30 Dec 2007 6:24 am

hi there, we have just moved into singapore and looking for a place to settle in- with our family.

my wife is a personal trainer, martial arts background ,
european kickboxing champion 2006 and wako uk champion for 6 consecutive years 2000-2006.

she is currently looking for an ideal place to train and will start soon to keep fit,

if you need any help pls pm us

happy new year 2008.

kind regards theo
Last edited by theodoros on Thu, 03 Jan 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

OPT
Regular
Regular

Post by OPT » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 9:23 am

is she looking for work?

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Personal Trainer experience in Singapore

Post by Thaiclan » Mon, 07 Jan 2008 4:00 am

I have to agree with the poor quality of PT's in Singapore. I recently tried to find one and all I received was old fashioned advice and not listening to my requirements or experience. I gave up in the end and joined an online one! Basically I did cardio for years, the usual 3 or 4 times per week running away endlessly then cycling to nowhere in a gym. I was fit but maintained a heavier weight and not so toned. Then I read some articles online about the real effects of cardio. In 8 months I dropped 25lbs, developed a toned ab set and look the slimmest and feel the fittest and strongest I ever have, all via resistance training and only 1 brief interval cardio workout per week.
My achilles heel is that I bruise easily and therefore my workouts are limited unless I want to look beaten up! I wanted a PT to come up with some new ideas for free weight exercises plus push me a bit harder up from my plateau. I just couldn't get my point across. I tried several and I got the same old stuff about cardio being best for fat loss and I should join a gym and use machines more. As I say I gave up in the end! Even if my technique is just a fluke working for only me, a PT should still listen to what has worked for me and incorporate that.

OPT
Regular
Regular

Post by OPT » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 8:59 am

looks like ajspy43 has been very quiet since I have posted the challenge.... guess hes not up to it.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 2:04 pm

Eze wrote:
princessli wrote:
mayflower wrote:i lack motivation and discipline......... =p
get a cute trainer Lol
hahas. thats a great idea!! :D
If motivation is your problem. This would probably be your best bet.

whitebead

Surely it's worth

Post by whitebead » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 4:39 pm

As far as know, those fitness clubs in Singapore doesn't allow you to bring personal trainer out of their employees. So you need to get a membership in those gyms such as california or planet fitness, then ask for a PT(Personal Training). It will cost you between $75 to 85 per 1 hr and it depends how many sessions you buy at once or whether your trainer is senior or not. I have heard senior trainer at planet fitness is $5 more expensive than non-senior trainers.
I have been doing PT for almost one year, and I am quite satisfied with my trainer. I personally do not agree with below note that 95% of Singapore trainer is low qualified, but as far as I know, those trainers keep studying for various qualifications.

If I summarize....

1. Personal Training is effective, but you need to dedicate yourself in excercise first. You need to do PT at least twice a week in the beginning.
2. I'd rather go for senior trainers even they are a bit more expensive. Senior means they have more certificates and surely they have more experiences.
3. Big fitness clubs are helpful in your motivation. It may give you more motives when you look at nicely shaped guys and girls. At least, it works for me.
4. Make sure you go to gym at least 3~4 times a week. If not, it is just a waste of money.

5. and personally, if you are female, get a cute trainer. It helps you to hit the gym more often. :oops:

Hope this helps!!!

OPT
Regular
Regular

Post by OPT » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 5:23 pm

Well I know for a fact that most trainers do not continue education once they have basic certification.

But in saying that it is not aways their fault. Many of the larger gym chains just wont allow them the time off to do education as it will affect sales. Yes I know this to be a fact - they are more interested in sales than they are in providing better and safer services.

I myself traveled 3 times last year to the US for further education. In addition last year I purchased over $10,000 worth of further education material including books and videos.

How many trainers here can say they made that kind of investment in their education last year?

nalong

Post by nalong » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 2:40 pm

Well my views on personal trainer is just that they are there to discipline your training rather than teaching you what to do.
Why I say that?
Well personally you can find all the correct forms of training to train any parts of your bodies in books and if you actually bothered to go look for personal trainer, i would dare say you are educated enough to read a book.

So persoanlly if everything can be found in a 20 dollar book, I really find it pointless(applies for me) to actually get a personal trainer to follow you every training.

Maybe, what I would suggest is get the persoanal traininer just for the first 2 sessions to point out your weakness and after that just do your own research and discipline yourself.

Seriously in doing this not only you save a whole bunch of cash which can be used to maybe buy yourself some equipments to put at home, you will also obtain a habit of keeping yourself fit instead of getting PTs to actually push you and end up becoming too dependant on them.

I hope I make some good points here.
Tell me what you guys think of this

OPT
Regular
Regular

Post by OPT » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 5:30 pm

You have no idea till you get deeper into it.

You think you can learn about this stuff from a $20 book? I can't even begin to tell you how naive that is.

Just this morning I performed an assessment on a individual. I found so many problem they were not aware of including a number of movement impairments. Most of these problem came from the TMJ where there were a number of issues. They also had a number of other health issues that was related to this but were totally unaware of the relationship.

You have no idea how messed up people are these days.

nalong

Post by nalong » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:44 am

ya I really don't know thats why i was saying it only applies to me for everything that I said as I dont see details like a professional can.

Anyway hope I can see more info here, I wanna learn something here too