Singapore Expats

Advice on setup of Starhub cable broadband?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Lurlinedom

Advice on setup of Starhub cable broadband?

Post by Lurlinedom » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 9:38 pm

At present I use a simple USB moden to commect to broadband over the phone lines. I am planning to sign up for a cable broadband service from starhub and an wondering what kit I will need to complete my set up. I am planning to have a PC connected by wire and a laptop wirelessly. I have never used cable broadband before nor a router so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment my guess is that I will need both a cable modem and a wireless router, and of course a card in the laptop. Is that right?

Does Starhub supply a cable modem with a connection as a matter of course?

Would Sim Lim be the best place to go to pick up necessary kit? I think that I may well be in need of advice at point of purchase.

As I say I would be very grateful for any advice that would help me get set up quickly.

D

Post by Guest » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:45 pm

1st: Visit this website for Starhub price plan & the Terms & Conditions

2nd: Visit this website for the Starhub approved hardwares

CABLE MODEM
-----------------
For MaxOnline 1500, you have 2 cables modem to choose from: Samsung SCM1400(while stock last) or the Motorola SB5100.

For MaxOnline 3000, you have only 1 choice: Motorola SBG1000.

You'll probably purchase this from them. May be free if you sign "minimum subscription period" contract (12 mths,24 mths)with them. You can call up their customer service hotline to check it out.

WIRELESS ROUTER
----------------------
The Linksys WAP11 will not be suitable for your requirement as it does not have wired connections. Assuming that your PC has an Ethernet port and your notebook does not have wireless connections, you'll need to get one of the following pairs to connect your PC & Notebook:

Wireless-B router Linksys BEFW11S4 & Linksys WPC11 Type II PC Card or
Wireless-G router Linksys WAP54G & Linksys WPC54G Type II PC Card or
Wireless-G router with SpeedBooster Linksys WRT54GS & Linksys WPC54GS Type II PC card or
Other equivalent pairs from other brands

You can find out the prices from Hardwarezone Price Guide(Singapore) - Networking

Post by Guest » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:48 pm

Oops... WAP54G is the wrong model number. Like WAP11, it is not suitable for your requirement. The correct model should be WRT54G.

Post by Guest » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:09 am

Many many thanks for the advice.

I do however have a very basic and probably idiotic question: does the router connect to the cable modem or does the cable modem operate as a router?

Post by Guest » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:29 am

The connection is like this:

Starhub ISP <-> Cable Modem <-> Wireless Router <-> PCs/Notebooks

Lurlinedom

Post by Lurlinedom » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 8:20 pm

Excellent, that clarifies.

Thanks very much for all your words of wisdom.

D

Oceanworld

Re: Advice on setup of Starhub cable broadband?

Post by Oceanworld » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 7:56 am

Lurlinedom wrote:At the moment my guess is that I will need both a cable modem and a wireless router, and of course a card in the laptop. Is that right?
You need a card for the laptop only if it's not wireless capable(non-Centrino)
Does Starhub supply a cable modem with a connection as a matter of course?
Yes, they do. In fact they prefer you use their modems
Would Sim Lim be the best place to go to pick up necessary kit? I think that I may well be in need of advice at point of purchase.
It would be much easier to get the complete wireless kit from StarHub. It has everything in it for you to get started. You can check out the details at Starhub website, http://www.starhub.com

Lurlinedom

Post by Lurlinedom » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 9:19 pm

Oceanworld: Thanks very much. I don't know how I managed to miss that Starhub wireless package nbut it looks to be just the ticket.

Cheers

D

Oceanworld

Post by Oceanworld » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 7:52 am

Lurlinedom wrote:Oceanworld: Thanks very much. I don't know how I managed to miss that Starhub wireless package nbut it looks to be just the ticket.
D
If you look at the local papers, Starhub actually having a Chinese New Year special right now. It got FREE router, cable modem, wireless USB adapter and wireless PC card. Well bascially everything's FREE, you just have to stay with them for like 24 months??
Here's the link to the promotion:

http://www.starhub.com/online/promotion ... index.html