Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Sokeai
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sokeai » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 8:23 pm

VeniE wrote:
Sokeai wrote: Venie, those docs are: Application form, passport, bankbook, nric, edu certs, birth cert and photo? Anything that i missed out?

Thanks so much! :D
yup.. that's all.. originals & photocopied..

bring your confidence and your sincererity as well yea :)
Thanks you so much Venie :D Np, i'll bring them along for sure hehe

jeff2861
Regular
Regular

Post by jeff2861 » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:21 pm

what is their minimum requirement to be part of SIA cabin crew...if i have a few yrs flying experience wif other airline but doesnlt have dip or a level, will they still accept?

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:24 pm

jeff2861 wrote:what is their minimum requirement to be part of SIA cabin crew...if i have a few yrs flying experience wif other airline but doesnlt have dip or a level, will they still accept?
check their website
Soaring above all

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:27 pm

crystalheart wrote:He is helpful i was told but he is quite busy. Contact him and see what he says. This girl is an sia stewardess and her blog is http://siastewardess.blogspot.com Maybe she can gv some info abt the job..good luck guys!
hafiz_ wrote:
Acorna wrote: Hey crystalheart, i have viewed and read bits and pieces of his blog. i must say that i am quite interested to meeting him. =) Wonder what advices he would offer. Think about it peeps, we would have all experiences told to us straight from the horse's mouth!! Anyone else interested??

Hafiz, dont get too disheartened okie? Do you have a ban or sth?
hey acorna. i cant do anything also. sigh. sigh only lor. haha. the lady told us yesterday if you dont make it, you can try again 3 months later. but people in the forum have been saying its 6 months. then 2 months. now it's 3 months. dunno if there's a specific rule or what. anyway i emailed back the lady asking if there's a ban. so i guess we'll wait for her reply. i'll update her not to worry...
Crew are not allow to blog about their flying live, many had been sack for that liao. Anyway this girl does not like what she see as a cabin crew so there is nothing to learn from her :shock:

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:58 pm

akiheartfelt wrote:
Abercrombie wrote: More bad news....Only experience crew (>3 yrs) will be train in A345 and A380. Well you will still have long flights lah most of it is serve by the 777-300 ER, but due to the miserable no. of crew onboard only 1 or 2 max probation crew can be rostered on it so that the flight will go on smoothly, come to think about it then the chances of good flights is gonna be very low for you gals liao :cry:
Hmmm that must imply they have a lot of experienced crew since long/good flights are all taken care by them? I heard that the turnover rate is high, with half of the crew leaving before the 5-year contract is up. So why are they only training those who has worked for 3 years? After these 3 years how many more years would they still stay for?

Makes sense to not train on 747 since it's gonna be phased out.
The reason is simple, the newer aircraft type have a different service procedure compared to the 747. SIA have many different Aircraft type now so imagine that if you are require to work on all the different type when you are new, you will sure be blur blur one and that will invite complaints against you from pax. This is neither good for the company or Yourself. From what I see , why new crew will not work on those A345,A380 or 747 is:

1) Very short of crew now so got to cut back on training time to get as many new crew as possible to start flying and reduce the current crew shortage situation.

2) More A380 is coming in FEB,MAY so the crew situation will worsen.

3)There can only be a limited no. of new crew on board, this is due to the safety requirement set by the authority.

4) To maintain the standard on board, if too many new crew on one flight then the overall service standard will drop and therefore affecting the company reputation.

5)A345 and A380 are all "premium" flight, which is to say pax pay more to travel on these aircraft so senior crew are needed on these flight to give the additional services.

6)Why more then 3 yrs then? New crew will start to get familiar to the job by the end of the 2nd year so 3 years is the minimum for you to be champion in all aspect of your job to the extend of closing your eyes and still can do a good job.

7) The so call good flights are given to the senior crew due to the above requirement and constrain. The company does try to balance out all the crew earning so that no one is being short change.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:05 am

CelT wrote:
VeniE wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:It means that you are train to fly in the 747 aircraft. Due to shortage of crew, new trainees might not be train in 747 fleet liao. This is to reduce the training time and have them pass out as cabin crew as soon as possible. Don't be surprise to get "turn around" for 1st solo too :P
from jan 2nd batch onwards, trainees will not be trained on 747 le..
got to know this from a friend..
Hey Abercrombie,

When will SIA phase out 747?
in how many years time?
747 is a bigger plane as compared to 777 right?
As 747 has 4 engines & 777 has 2 engines...it does make sense for them to have fuel conservation by keeping 777 only..
747 can carry alot more pax and cargo then the 777. Actually I have not get a logical answer to why are they phasing out 747. Ask the instructor after you start your training and do tell me the answer :wink:

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:17 am

smileygal wrote:
xanngac wrote:
VeniE wrote: haiz.. less in flight allowance toO...
Wah...there goes my london, tokyo all the long haul nice flights... :(
Hey Gal, dun worry.... cos my bf said that 747 is pretty suckie to fly, due to the configuration, so it's actually good news to be trained on only 777.... and anyway, 747 is gonna be phased out soon, so we dun actually lose out anything...

Anyway, just to update everyone, something cropped up regarding my application, so i might not be able to be everyone's colleague after all.... still pending and i'll keep u guys updated.... it's my little secret....
Good luck to everyone else..... cheers:p
If your BF knows his work well enough he will find out that 747 is easy to work in especially in business class where you have very little pax to serve as compared to all the other Aircraft type, ask him he prefer one trolley or 2 trolley :wink: 747 will start phasing out earliest in 3-4 years time as the airline is short of aircraft to fly in now so can't just let go any aircraft soon. The next batch of new aircraft type will not be ready till 2010-2011.

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:17 am

Abercrombie wrote:
CelT wrote:
VeniE wrote: from jan 2nd batch onwards, trainees will not be trained on 747 le..
got to know this from a friend..
Hey Abercrombie,

When will SIA phase out 747?
in how many years time?
747 is a bigger plane as compared to 777 right?
As 747 has 4 engines & 777 has 2 engines...it does make sense for them to have fuel conservation by keeping 777 only..
747 can carry alot more pax and cargo then the 777. Actually I have not get a logical answer to why are they phasing out 747. Ask the instructor after you start your training and do tell me the answer :wink:
i asked another trainee friend who started training in nov' 07.. she said her trainer says that begining of this yr new batches will be trained on 777 first coz 777-300er is coming in and to ease the shortage of crew they have to shorten the training time frame..

but after 6 months we will still be trained for 747...

as for how true is it, i'm not too sure.. anyway will know all these on 16th when i start training..

ultimately i think not too much of worry lo, coz as long as i can fly and enjoy my passion i'm happy with it. :wink:
Soaring above all

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:31 am

You will sure enjoy flying lah :wink: Yes, dont worry so much, as long as you are able to work and with a good attitude there should be no problem. Those who have problem are either super blur,lazy, with a everything I know kind of attitude :o Yes there are still these kind of people around despite the many rounds of interview to whip them out :???: Once the crew shortage problem resolve then things will get back to normal, you will then be train on 747. IMHO this problem will not be solve so easily as they need to take crew out from flying to train them for the new aircraft type too and after the next bonus more crew will leave. :-|

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular

Post by akiheartfelt » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 2:18 am

haha... sounds like a lot of issues... but i feel excited already hearing you guys discussing about aircrafts and flying destinations... :)

yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yingying2888 » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 9:48 am

ben02 wrote:
Sokeai wrote:
yingying2888 wrote: i'm staying in holland. but i will go down from school. i'm studying in SP. =) my slot is 330pm.

btw, ben, sokeai, the mail asked us to complete the attached forms and print it out. but i didnt see any forms, u guys have it?

raine, keep calling them when its office hours. like what i did when i keep flooding them the write application form. you will get it since you've already got the call from them! dun worry too much ya?
Oo, mine is 2.30pm. Most likely we will be able to see each other there! :D

Anyone care to share what forms need to bring down? Cause till now i have yet to get any emails from them other than the phone call ytd. Kinna gan chiong already. :???:
its the application form that was given to us by the lady at the admin table on the 27th Dec one.. she told me to bring when contacted for the final interview..

basically, its the exact same form which we all filled and mailed to them, that got us shortlisted on the 27th Dec one.. (just that i noticed there is one sentence on top which says '.. to be filled and returned to the Human Resource Department...)
thanks ben02, but i didnt get any forms at the table nor at the email. did you get it? i'm thinking if i should just print out the original write in application form?

minikk

Post by minikk » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:49 am

hello everyone, i have finally joined the forum. pls excuse me i'm a bit sua gu to forums...hahaha

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:57 am

yingying2888 wrote: thanks ben02, but i didnt get any forms at the table nor at the email. did you get it? i'm thinking if i should just print out the original write in application form?
hey yingying,

it's ok if you dun have the employment form coz you can fill it up on the spot as well. just inform the HR lady that you din receive any forms.

do remb to bring the relevant doc with ya ok.. :)
Soaring above all

rainschocolate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by rainschocolate » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 1:01 pm

oh yay. i read the past few pages as wasn't online ytd.

and i didn't receiev any forms either. so.. i'll go there and tell the HR person right? but do i still need to print out the application form again?

VeniE
Chatter
Chatter

Post by VeniE » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 1:12 pm

rainschocolate wrote:oh yay. i read the past few pages as wasn't online ytd.

and i didn't receiev any forms either. so.. i'll go there and tell the HR person right? but do i still need to print out the application form again?
dun think so.. keke.. just be there slightly early so that you can have some time to fill the form..

most imptly you have the relevant doc with ya.. :)
Soaring above all