Singapore Expats

Calling All Mums!

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
endacotta

Calling All Mums!

Post by endacotta » Tue, 01 Jan 2008 7:22 pm

My husband has just been offerd a new job in Singapore and we are seriously considering moving. We are from the UK and have 3.5 year old boy and another on the way in May 08 so we probably wont move (if we do) until August. We are also coming to Singapore on 19th Jan for 8 nights to have a look around and I am looking at some of the International Schools and PreSchools. I would therefore welcome advice from anyone about life in Singapore with 2 children. I would appreciate the positives and the negatives about how easy it is making friends in Singapore, family life, schooling and how easy it is to fill your days! Any other advice would also be equally welcome. I have read several of the posts on this site regarding some other issues and mostly all is very positive. If any mums are free the week we are over in in Singapore and would be happy to meet for a face to face chat that would also be very much appreciated in assisting us to make this decision.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks, Anita

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:30 pm

hi anita - i have a 3.5 year old and a 1 year old - singapore is a fantastic place to raise small children as it's safe, clean, you can have help if you choose and the weather is lovely year round! (well, if you like it hot :D ) i think it is very easy to meet people since there are so many in your situation around. you'll also find with 2 children that you are so busy with different activities it's hard NOT to meet people. i think the thing that helped us the most was moving into a complex with other small children. i was pregnant at the time and had a 2 1/2 year old and needed to have 'activity' in my backyard (literally!). i also met a lot of people through school. if you want to meet up while you're in town drop me a PM and we'll set something up and get the boys together :)

endacotta

Post by endacotta » Wed, 02 Jan 2008 7:03 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Apparently I cannot send you a PM as I have not put enough posts on. It would be great to talk in detail and get the boys together. Can you email me at [email protected]

Anita

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 02 Jan 2008 7:56 pm

can dad's reply as well? :P

or politically correctness should be "calling all parents" :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jan 2008 8:34 pm

Maybe Genderists? :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jan 2008 8:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Maybe Genderists? :P
Give 'em the devil. Tell 'em you can discuss breastfeeding, TTOM and all the rest as good as they can. Tell 'em you won't be the least embarrassed. Course they probably would be...... :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Alex3

Post by Alex3 » Thu, 03 Jan 2008 11:42 pm

Cbavasi,

Do you have any tips of best areas and condos to leave with a 2 year old and a 3 year old?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 04 Jan 2008 5:57 am

darn! i got angled out again! :roll:

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 04 Jan 2008 8:27 am

Really depends on what you are looking for (number of units, size of apt, facilities, cost..etc) but with that being said when you do your search online look for any that have a children's playground or childrens pool. I looked at almost 50 apts this last go round and some of them we really liked the ammenities for the kids and the number of children around the complex (Duchess Crest, Chancery Lane, Kerrisdale, Kew Green, Pebble Bay, Tanglin Hill, Tanglin Park) - but then the unit was too small or the location wasn't ideal or there were just too many people. Again, it's a really personal choice. We ended up in a place two months ago in an ideal location where there weren't a lot of children and the plaground/pool weren't great - but then in the last month 3 new families have moved in with kids our age so it's fantastic. Will you have a car? I think that can make a big difference on your decision as well. If you have a really large budget there are condos like Ardmore Park, Claymore, Nassim Jade, Scotts 28... etc that have a lot of children (I do a baby group that rotates houses) and they are really nice. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help - but there are so many condos in Singapore it's hard to say what's best.

Alex3

Post by Alex3 » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 4:41 am

Cbavasi,

Thanks, the information was great.