Singapore Expats

House in Singapore, room for dog?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Leah123

House in Singapore, room for dog?

Post by Leah123 » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 7:03 pm

Hi, it looks like we could be moving from Australia to Singapore in the new year with my hubby's work. I've been an expat in Hong Kong for 5 years previously, and travelled to Singapore various times, however I am not familiar with the rental market in Singapore.

Could someone please help with the following questions:
1. Is it possible to rent a house with a small/medium garden?
2. If so, what area's would they be and which would be closest to the CBD?
3. Will we have problems with a medium size house dog and a rental?
4. What type of cost will this place be per month? (3 bed + possibly pool?)
5. Are there many walking type areas for dogs, on/off leash?
6. Where are the expat areas in Singapore (possibly matching our requirements?)
7. Are there any areas that are close to the Australian International School that fit our needs?
8. Can anyone suggest a good website that has full colour pics of their rental properties with clear and easy details?

I appreciate my order is "tall" and as yet we don't have a budget set by the company! But I am hoping I can get a good grasp of what we are looking for and help to reduce that "needle in a haystack"! Ah.. Deja vu !!
Kind Regards, Leah

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 01 Jan 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Leah,

Singapore is becoming more and more dog friendly and it is possible to find a place like you are describing in pockets all over the island. Three bedroom private house/bungalow with a pool and a garden could run $6K for a not-so-great location to $26K for an ideal location. These are broad generalizations.

Recently they've started to crack down on dogs off leashes in public places, but it is possible to walk your dogs a few times a day in any neighborhood if they are on a leash and you clean up after them. There used to be a dog park on the west coast, not sure if it's still there. Lots of dog walkers at the botanic garden every morning.

Good luck with your move.